Model 3 just saved me from being in a pretty serious accident

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This morning I was driving my son and his friend on a fairly curvy 2 lane road doing about 50. A bicyclist in the bike lane a few cars ahead of us crashes and flies out into our lane. The cars in front of me lock up their brakes. Unfortunately, at that moment I was changing radio stations and didn't see it. The car's collision avoidance system kicks in, alerts me and applies the brakes so I don't hit the stopped car in front of me. Pretty amazing! Thanks Tesla!

Gavyne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Beautiful, glad you were safe! Hurray Tesla.

People often complain about the collision alert being annoying, with false positives or being a bit too careful. But it only takes 1 save from the system for it to be worth all the nags. Going 50 would've been a terrible crash.

Last edited:

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This morning I was driving my son and his friend on a fairly curvy 2 lane road doing about 50. A bicyclist in the bike lane a few cars ahead of us crashes and flies out into our lane. The cars in front of me lock up their brakes. Unfortunately, at that moment I was changing radio stations and didn't see it. The car's collision avoidance system kicks in, alerts me and applies the brakes so I don't hit the stopped car in front of me. Pretty amazing! Thanks Tesla!
That is great. Now was the Autopilot on?

justflie

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Wow, that’s amazing. Glad everyone is ok. The line Tesla has drawn is that the safety features are included without EAP. EAP/FSD are the “convenience” features, although one could certainly argue they’re at least indirect safety features.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I wondered about that, too. I recently had a tractor trailer combo change lanes on me. The warning sound came on, the brakes applied and the car moved sideways to avoid. I wasn’t sure if it was me being such a good driver or the car doing it.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I wondered about that, too. I recently had a tractor trailer combo change lanes on me. The warning sound came on, the brakes applied and the car moved sideways to avoid. I wasn’t sure if it was me being such a good driver or the car doing it.
That is how it felt to me also. The brakes were applied slightly before I applied them, and just enough to avoid the collision.

batzman

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That is how it felt to me also. The brakes were applied slightly before I applied them, and just enough to avoid the collision.
That is interesting I wonder what the timing was between your accident and mine. I didn’t notice my 3 assist in my front end collision.