1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

Model 3 production line / equipment

Discussion in 'Reserving, Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by TrevP, Jun 8, 2017.

More threads by TrevP
  1. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Staff Member Founder
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Country
    #1 TrevP, Jun 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    While I cannot give you specifics on the line and machinery, what I can say is that they are indeed installing the equipment and working around the clock on it.

It was a beehive of activity when I was there!!

I saw the "Alien dreadnought" with my own eyes and the name is very apt: it's massive and complicated. I have a feeling this new thing will be shrouded from public eyes as long as they can, I think they feel it's a trade secret.

If you want an idea of what it looks like take a look at this picture of a particular station on the Model X line. Some 15 robots in this station alone but the Model 3 line looks about twice as dense everywhere.

IMG_4246.JPG

• Informative Informative x 10
    • Like Like x 2
    • Kbm3

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Baton Rouge, La.
      Country
      Kind of surprised to hear that. According to Elon for model 3, they are only matching the industry best.

Very jealous that you got to see that.

• Daliman

Supporting Member
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Mississauga
      Country
      Can't wait to do a factory tour at some point after my purchase. Would really love to see Spacex but I understand that is harder. The picture makes it very clear what Elon mrans when he says this is a complex computing problem. I can't imagine coordinating all of that.

• Runt8

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Parker, CO
      Country
      I'm in the opposite situation - have been on a SpaceX tour (I'm friends with one of the engineers) but would love to see the Tesla factory.

• Daliman

Supporting Member
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Mississauga
      Country
      Amazing. Have been on the standard Nasa tour of the Cape just before one of the last shuttle launches. The scale of everything is mindblowing. Looking forward to Falcon Heavy in October. Hope to go down to see the launch.

• Red Sage

The Cybernetic Samurai
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Los Angeles CA
      Country
      Since I first heard the term 'alien dreadnought' I presumed that meant it would be a system that used space very efficiently in a fully three dimensional manner so that 'no humans beyond this point' signs would be an absolute necessity. And with Tesla's firm commitment to safety, I think that lockout/tagout drills are bound to be a major part of regular safety reviews at Fremont and every manufacturing/fabrication facility they operate from now on. When humans are present, there will be a look and feel that is probably close to the design of a BORG Cube, I think. To go even further, operations may end up being designed very much like the innards of a microchip, only extruded and expanded by about a billion-to-one factor while still maintaining all the same levels of complexity within. Reminds me also of a statement made about how the Gigafactory works -- leave no space unused.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2