model 3 rfid chip put into homemade "fob"- success!

Travelwolf

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So I saw a couple of videos about people who have dissolved the plastic on their transportation cards to get out the rfid chip and then placed the chip in a key fob of their own making. Has anyone tried something similar with model 3's keycard? would love to know if anyone has and, if it worked, what they did.

edit: got my model 3 and an extra set of keys. using one to try this.... here is the post showing the process.

link to instructions post: https://model3ownersclub.com/thread...-homemade-fob-success.6469/page-5#post-101241

Where the idea came from:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Transform-your-Oyster-travelcard-with-sugru/

Last edited:

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've read that acetone (nail-polish remover) should be used to dissolve the plastic when you want to extract the electronics from a card.

SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Given that replacement cards are very cheap it’s worth having a little fun though at the same time I can safely say my life is better keyless!

Travelwolf

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That ring is pretty cool, though I wouldn't personally do it with a credit card. The idea to do it with the key card is more so I have one that doesnt say Tesla all over it for valet parking. I don't have my car yet, but would be interested to know if anyone actually tries something like this with their keycard. :)

Scrutmonkey

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Someone in another forum did an x-ray and the only safe places on the card to punch a hole for lanyards is area in the green.

The outside is part of the coils and top right (black area) you should also stay away from.

Attachments

Twiglett

M3OC Supporting Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Country
Country
Errr
Why?
It would still be an rfid object but now its bigger and bulkier than a card that fits in a wallet

John

Tech Founder
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Someone in another forum did an x-ray and the only safe places on the card to punch a hole for lanyards is area in the green.

The outside is part of the coils and top right (black area) you should also stay away from.
I was the one who did the x-ray. It might be a little bit of a trick to take something so delicate as the tiny chip and leads and make something reliable out of it, even assuming you ended with a magnetic coil that would couple well with the RFID reader on the car.

Norm Rechtman

M3OC Supporting Member
Country
Country
I have this product called a Keysy (http://tinylabs.io/keysy/), if anyone with a Model 3 here in South Florida wants to see if the Keysy will work, please message me, I’ve used it to duplicate a couple of key cards for locks and it works well, it even comes with a rewritable blank that you can then write the card information back to.

I’ll even take a ride up to Evannex and see if they want to try it out.

Attachments

lasdj

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have this product called a Keysy (http://tinylabs.io/keysy/), if anyone with a Model 3 here in South Florida wants to see if the Keysy will work, please message me, I’ve used it to duplicate a couple of key cards for locks and it works well, it even comes with a rewritable blank that you can then write the card information back to.

I’ll even take a ride up to Evannex and see if they want to try it out.
That's pretty cool. Do you have a extra I can buy? It seems like the campaign is over so i do not know where to purchase it.

Norm Rechtman

M3OC Supporting Member
Country
Country
That's pretty cool. Do you have a extra I can buy? It seems like the campaign is over so i do not know where to purchase it.
I’m seeing if I can buy some more, but I’m going to try and get with someone who wants to test it.

Last edited:

John

Tech Founder
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I took one of my cards to a key kiosk that can duplicate RFID cards, but it said the card is of a kind that can't be duplicated. Alas.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I took one of my cards to a key kiosk that can duplicate RFID cards, but it said the card is of a kind that can't be duplicated. Alas.
that is good, so your valet guy can't make himself a copy while you are at dinner ;)

@gravityrydr

Country
Country
Actually I'm glad of that . Imagine if a valet would be able to copy the key card easily.

John

Tech Founder
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Right, but remember I said I went to a key copying kiosk to try it. You know, where they copy keys. And even smart keys can be copied if you’ve got an original. So *hopefully* the card is better, assuming it’s got a challenge and response feature in it. Most RFID cards are just serial numbers.

TheTony

It happened.
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Right, but remember I said I went to a key copying kiosk to try it. You know, where they copy keys. And even smart keys can be copied if you’ve got an original. So *hopefully* the card is better, assuming it’s got a challenge and response feature in it. Most RFID cards are just serial numbers.
I believe this is the case, at least from reading conversations among biohackers, whose intent would be to use an implantable chip. It sounds like the chip used may have some level of encryption built in.

Prodigal Son

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
They're using NFC for this (as evidenced by iPhones bringing up Apple Pay interface when placed adjacent to the reader points) which can actually be a two-way process, not like the basic HID stuff most of the easy cloning can be done with.

It may "just" be a signed & encrypted card but may also be an actual two-way communication using authenticated protocols. My hope is that they're using something at least on the level of a Mifare desfire family of cards.

chojn1

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
How difficult is it to get as copy of the card from the service center? Has anyone here done it?

John

Tech Founder
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
How difficult is it to get as copy of the card from the service center? Has anyone here done it?
I ordered 5 more. They came in a few days later. A service tech had to plug in a device to register them with the car. There are now 7 cards on my lock screen.

Interestingly, they could not program the sixth card I bought ( I wanted 5 cards, but they come in packs of 2 like you received at delivery). Tech tried a different card, which also wouldn’t work. Everyone had a different idea for how many cards you could register, but at least that day it was 7.

$10 for a set of two.