Model 3 Rolling Away Unattended!!!

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 31st all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
  • Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

• Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Model 3 Friends,

I am desperately seeking some help/advice on something that happened to me less than 48 hours after taking ownership of my Model 3. Let me explain.....

I went to our local farmer's market to pick up our weekly farm share. When I arrived there was quite a bit of traffic and no real place to park. I parked the car next to the delivery driveway, which was only 5-10 feet away from where I was to pick up my share. Two minutes later, a delivery truck arrives, so I dash back over to my car to move it (since other cars have since departed, I could actually now park). I got in the car, but it would not engage. I could not put it in drive or reverse. Perplexed, I assumed the bluetooth key had not synced up with the car, so I quickly pulled out my Tesla card and placed it on the council next to the cup holder. The car still would not go into drive. I then thought maybe I needed to put the card on the outside sensor, so I grabbed it and opened the door and got out. Before I could put the card on the sensor, my Model 3 started moving forward!!! There were three people loading produce in their car in front of me! What the heck?

I quickly got back in the car and it stopped. What I don't recall is if I stopped it or if the car stopped itself. I was in a complete panic. I could have really hurt a few people. I want to find out what happened and how to make sure this never happens to me (or anyone else) again.

I would appreciate some feedback from fellow M3 owners who may have some ideas as to what happened, or who may have experienced the same thing. I am still spooked about this happening and keep thinking about what could have happened if the car did not stop. Thank you in advance for your feedback.

RMSOX in Michigan

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
That's not possible unless the car isn't functioning properly. Have you reported it to Tesla Service? If you are a real owner they will want to hear from you immediately. This is not the kind of problem that should be diagnosed online.

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That's not possible unless the car isn't functioning properly. Have you reported it to Tesla Service? If you are a real owner they will want to hear from you immediately.
Well, I am the real owner, so check mark there. I did report it this morning via their website in great detail, and checked the box that said "Escalate this concern for executive review." I will report back on this should I hear back from them. But for now, it would be good to know if someone else has experienced anything like this as well.

rsf

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I once experienced my car not going into drive or reverse. I don't really remember what I did (if anything) to resolve it because 15 seconds later I was able to put it in drive.

Gavyne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Did you hear beeps or sounds of anything when you tried to put the car in drive? Did the touchscreen display anything when you tried?

I once tried to put the car in reverse to back into a Supercharger. I pressed the stalk down once by accident to put it into reverse. This was when I was still getting used to my Model 3. The car just completely stopped moving. I couldn't move forward, car just stalled there. I kept pressing the stalk down to try to get it into drive, but it wouldn't.

Turns out because my car was in drive when I pressed the stalk down, it engaged TACC (Traffic Assisted Cruise Control). Well when you have TACC enabled, and there are parked cars in front if you, the car wouldn't move. It's smart that way. I kept trying to push the stalk down to get my car into drive but it just kept beeping. When TACC is enabled and you try to push the stalk down again, you would usually engage autopilot. But because there was no autopilot path, the car just beeped and said autopilot not available.

In order for me to disable TACC and drive normally, I had to push the stalk up once (that's how you would disengage autopilot as well). But at the time I was panicking, thought the car died, so I wasn't reading the screen. I know I heard the beep beep, but when you are panicking you don't read what the screen says.

I was pressing the stalk down to put it in drive, but it would beep saying autopilot not available. While in panic mode I was pressing the stalk up too quickly while it was displaying autopilot not available, therefore it didn't disengage TACC. I was just tere pressing the stalk down, then up quickly, then down again, then up again.

When I finally stopped for 5 seconds, I pressed the stalk up and it disengaged TACC, and I was then able to press stalk up again to put the car in reverse. This all happened very quickly, I'm describing this in slowmo but I was in full panic mode during that short period of time. This was during my early ownership and I had not even used TACC yet, so I didn't know what to look for on the screen.

I'm not sure what might have happened to your car, but it's possible you did put the car in drive. But in a hurry you may also have activated TACC by pressing the stalk down one too many times. Or if you held your stalk down more than a second you may have put the car in neutral. Although in either case, once you exit the vehicle, the car should've put itself in park. So while I'm not saying what you saw didn't happen, but what you are describing isn't really possible since the car would've been put in park automatically once you exit the vehicle. So something is missing from your experience.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Model 3 Friends,

I am desperately seeking some help/advice on something that happened to me less than 48 hours after taking ownership of my Model 3. Let me explain.....

I went to our local farmer's market to pick up our weekly farm share. When I arrived there was quite a bit of traffic and no real place to park. I parked the car next to the delivery driveway, which was only 5-10 feet away from where I was to pick up my share. Two minutes later, a delivery truck arrives, so I dash back over to my car to move it (since other cars have since departed, I could actually now park). I got in the car, but it would not engage. I could not put it in drive or reverse. Perplexed, I assumed the bluetooth key had not synced up with the car, so I quickly pulled out my Tesla card and placed it on the council next to the cup holder. The car still would not go into drive. I then thought maybe I needed to put the card on the outside sensor, so I grabbed it and opened the door and got out. Before I could put the card on the sensor, my Model 3 started moving forward!!! There were three people loading produce in their car in front of me! What the heck?

I quickly got back in the car and it stopped. What I don't recall is if I stopped it or if the car stopped itself. I was in a complete panic. I could have really hurt a few people. I want to find out what happened and how to make sure this never happens to me (or anyone else) again.

I would appreciate some feedback from fellow M3 owners who may have some ideas as to what happened, or who may have experienced the same thing. I am still spooked about this happening and keep thinking about what could have happened if the car did not stop. Thank you in advance for your feedback.

RMSOX in Michigan
Not sure on not being able to get it into gear, besides suggesting maybe the brake was not pressed?
But for rolling, tesla has a safeguard that if a door is open, seatbelt unfastened, the parking brake will be engaged to prevent unattended cars from rolling away. (I previously knew this, but experienced it when deciding I needed to move a few inches forward in my garage. It beeped at me, then abruptly stopped with the appropriate warning on the screen.)

Ed Woodrick

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Model 3 Friends,

RMSOX in Michigan
Sounds like the display monitor computer was locked up. The display computer is not required to drive, and it does seem to lockup periodically. When it does, commonly it will be black and in a few minutes you see the Tesla logo. When it is locked up or rebooting, the car drives as normal, you just can't see what is happening. And yes, it feels freaky to put it into Drive and hit the pedal and it moves.

kort677

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well, I am the real owner, so check mark there. I did report it this morning via their website in great detail, and checked the box that said "Escalate this concern for executive review." I will report back on this should I hear back from them. But for now, it would be good to know if someone else has experienced anything like this as well.
do not depnd on a quick response from a website report, CALL it in to them!

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sounds like the display monitor computer was locked up. The display computer is not required to drive, and it does seem to lockup periodically.... When it is locked up or rebooting, the car drives as normal, you just can't see what is happening. And yes, it feels freaky to put it into Drive and hit the pedal and it moves.
This does seem like a likely explanation. So you probably placed it into drive (but with no visible feedback that you were in drive), and it was still there when you got out.

At that point, the safety feature that @MelindaV mentions kicks in. I've experienced this myself. While driving my Model 3 around my driveway with no seatbelt, it suddenly slammed on the brakes and displayed some warning message. I don't believe I had my door open at the time, but I could be mis-remembering. So it's possible that the car had stopped itself for @RMSOX .

kort677

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This does seem like a likely explanation. So you probably placed it into drive (but with no visible feedback that you were in drive), and it was still there when you got out.

At that point, the safety feature that @MelindaV mentions kicks in. I've experienced this myself. While driving my Model 3 around my driveway with no seatbelt, it suddenly slammed on the brakes and displayed some warning message. I don't believe I had my door open at the time, but I could be mis-remembering. So it's possible that the car had stopped itself for @RMSOX .
if the car is moving it

should not automatically stop if you unhitch your seat belt, what would happen is that tacc/ap would shut down.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I once experienced my car not going into drive or reverse. I don't really remember what I did (if anything) to resolve it because 15 seconds later I was able to put it in drive.
Your experience described above also happened to me the day I picked the car up. Went through the demo with my Tesla rep, shook his hands and then got in the car expecting to drive away. Nada..... Took a few minutes before I could put it in drive. Some 26 hours later, it happened again as described above at the Farmer's Market. I'm still not sure how it is possible that the car moved as I was getting out. My foot was not on the pedals, seatbelt undone, car door open, and no one in the driver's seat. Car still moved ~3ft by itself.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks everyone for your replies so far. One thing I forgot to mention is that I tried putting the car in drive multiple times (maybe 3 times within 10 seconds). Each time I did this the display showed nothing in the top right above the car. Normally you would expect to see a "P" for Park, or "D" for drive. There was no letter on top. This is why I assumed the bluetooth failed to engage. When I got out of the car, I "did not" press the park button, so if there was a delay in processing, maybe it finally kicked in. Don't know.....

Also, it has now been 24 hours since I first reported this to Tesla and I have not heard back from them. Granted, yesterday was a crazy day for the entire company....

Trebonius

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Also, it has now been 24 hours since I first reported this to Tesla and I have not heard back from them. Granted, yesterday was a crazy day for the entire company....
I really don't think this is the sort of thing you should rely on a web/email report for. This is something you talk to a service center about. There's a very good chance you won't hear anything for a week or two, then they'll tell you to contact your service center.

babula

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks everyone for your replies so far. One thing I forgot to mention is that I tried putting the car in drive multiple times (maybe 3 times within 10 seconds). Each time I did this the display showed nothing in the top right above the car. Normally you would expect to see a "P" for Park, or "D" for drive. There was no letter on top. This is why I assumed the bluetooth failed to engage. When I got out of the car, I "did not" press the park button, so if there was a delay in processing, maybe it finally kicked in. Don't know.....

If the display doesn't show anything useful, make sure you do a soft reset before you attempt putting it in drive or park (this way you know exactly whats going on). Sounds to me like you assumed it was in park and it might not have been. As others have mentioned, for an issue that you think is important - you need to call ASAP instead of relying on email.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I believe this is a somewhat too common incident of inadvertent auto park engagement. The giveaway is the repeated attempts to engage in gear and then possibly pressing park repeatedly which will trigger autopark. As soon as you get out of the car and close the door, the car will start moving. With only one screen and being frustrated that the car isn't moving, it's easy to miss the display prompts. As soon as you try to open the door, the car will stop.

This is a winded vid showing autopark function in an AP1 Model S. The important part starts about 1:45.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I believe this is a somewhat too common incident of inadvertent auto park engagement. The giveaway is the repeated attempts to engage in gear and then possibly pressing park repeatedly which will trigger autopark. As soon as you get out of the car and close the door, the car will start moving. With only one screen and being frustrated that the car isn't moving, it's easy to miss the display prompts. As soon as you try to open the door, the car will stop.

This is a winded vid showing autopark function in an AP1 Model S. The important part starts about 1:45.

I could be wrong, but don't think you can initiate autopark on the Model 3 from the screen. But instead need to use summon on the app. (Im sure someone will correct me if wrong :) )

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I could be wrong, but don't think you can initiate autopark on the Model 3 from the screen. But instead need to use summon on the app. (Im sure someone will correct me if wrong :) )
According to the Model 3 manual, you are correct but if there is some bug in the software where you can engage autopark in a Model 3 with a double press of the park button and the rest of the software isn't configured for it, it can absolutely cause the behaviour that the OP describes.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Good info. Key difference between what happened to me and what your scenario suggests is that I never closed the door. I was half-way out of the car and it started rolling. Door was open.