Model 3 Sound System: Bang & Olufsen or....?

SweetBella

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Anyone know (current model 3 owners) what kind of sound system options model 3 offers. I love music and want to splurge on a high-end sound system if that's an option Tesla provides. If so, what's the additional cost?

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Anyone know (current model 3 owners) what kind of sound system options model 3 offers. I love music and want to splurge on a high-end sound system if that's an option Tesla provides. If so, what's the additional cost?
At this point Tesla only offers one option for sound system. As part of the PUP package, it includes "premium sound". I don't know what brand of speakers or anything else is being used in that, but what I can say is that to me the sound quality sounded fantastic. I'm by no means an audiophile, but I'd be really annoyed if the sound quality was bad. Hopefully you'll have an opportunity to listen for yourself when the Model 3 comes to a Tesla store near you. If you can't wait, you could always make your way to NY and check it out. :)

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We do not know what “standard” sound system sounds like as the only cars on the road have the premium upgrades package which includes premium sound.

All I can say is wow. I’m very impressed with the overall quality!!

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Last edited:

Mad Hungarian

Resident M3OC Wheel/Tire Guru
Country
Country
I'm GUESSING the same company that did the model S & X unless there is info otherwise. It's called s1nn, an audio engineering company based in Stuttgart. It's part of the giant Harman International group.

https://www.whathifi.com/features/how-tesla-developed-in-car-audio-system-model-s-saloon
Cool article, thanks for the link.
I too am a bit maniacal about sound quality and am hoping the Premium system meets expectations. I'm still mad I never thought to try it when I was driving You You's car, I was so focused on absorbing everything about the driving experience it never occurred to me to switch it on.
At least the vast majority of opinions I've seen so far cliam that it's pretty good, glad to hear @SoFlaModel3 and @ng0 concur!

Kbm3

Country
Country

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I too am a bit maniacal about sound quality and am hoping the Premium system meets expectations. I'm still mad I never thought to try it when I was driving You You's car, I was so focused on absorbing everything about the driving experience it never occurred to me to switch it on.
At least the vast majority of opinions I've seen so far cliam that it's pretty good, glad to hear @SoFlaModel3 and @ng0 concur!
It's funny, turning up the radio was one of the first things I did the first time I sat in the model 3 after taking in the amazingness of the interior and glass roof.

Tchris

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I went back to the Scottsdale Tesla store to listen to the sound system, as I had forgotten to check it out on my first visit. It definitely exceeded my expectations. Very crisp, clear sounding in my opinion. It definitely blows away the sound system in my Lexus. I played around a bit with the equalizer settings, but didn’t spend too much time with it. I knew right away that it was everything I needed.

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I'm GUESSING the same company that did the model S & X unless there is info otherwise.

It's called s1nn, an audio engineering company based in Stuttgart. It's part of the giant Harman International group.

https://www.whathifi.com/features/how-tesla-developed-in-car-audio-system-model-s-saloon
This would explain the high quality observed by all current (happy) owners and all those lucky ones who have already the opportunity to drive in a Model 3...

Great input. Harmon Kardon supplies - as some of you surely know - the premium sound system option in BMWs. We have it my wifey’s new Convertible and it is fan-tas-tic!! (that... and a HUD, what else can a driver want...?! :D)

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@SweetBella - there was a post a year or so ago on TMC from someone claiming to have info on the speakers going into he Model 3, and them being better than the S/X and most comparably priced cars. Of course he got totally blasted for claiming the 3 will have something better than the S/X and not having any proof. Now that S and X owners have gotten 3s, seems most would agree. Many also with the aftermarket ridiculously priced systems say the 3 is as good or better than those.

here's the link to the claim on TMC - I've not gone back and re-read to see how much he stated actually came to be, but interesting none the less (or to check my memory for that matter...)

Texas72

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@SweetBella - there was a post a year or so ago on TMC from someone claiming to have info on the speakers going into he Model 3, and them being better than the S/X and most comparably priced cars. Of course he got totally blasted for claiming the 3 will have something better than the S/X and not having any proof. Now that S and X owners have gotten 3s, seems most would agree. Many also with the aftermarket ridiculously priced systems say the 3 is as good or better than those.
here's the link to the claim on TMC - I've not gone back and re-read to see how much he stated actually came to be, but interesting none the less (or to check my memory for that matter...)
I have a new 3 with premium sound and a 2015 Model S with premium sound. The Model 3 is decisively better. You don’t need to be an audiophile to detect the difference. It’s obvious.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jay Jay

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I spent a weekend driving a rented Performance M3. I had no idea what I was in for as far as the sound system goes. I was literally mind-blown when I finally cranked it up. Wow. I am a serious audio nerd and I just couldn't believe how incredible this system is. You will be impressed, I assure you.

dannyskim

Being somewhat of an audiophile myself, I do find the speaker system in the PUP Model 3 to be very good. I wouldn't go as far as to say the sound quality is stunning and excellent, but the dynamics of the system I would definitely consider excellent. By this I mean the immersive quality of the sound in the cabin, as well as the balance of the bass vs mid vs treble.

My preference is usually unlocalized sound, as in not being able to easily determine the source of a single sound range, which is where the Model 3 system shines. If you move the balance of the sound from it's default center to slightly back (a half a circle to a circle behind the default) and then put the immersive sound option on high, listening from the driver's seat becomes a real joy. Nowadays I listen to mostly upbeat music outside of classical, so I have a standard V setup in the equalizer (high bass, medium mid, high treble). When blasting music (90% volume, 100% is deafening almost) with these settings, you don't feel like you're in a car from the perspective of sound immersion. I absolutely love it.

Quality of the speakers in terms of longevity and ability to handle extremes so far has been excellent as well. I hear no issues with sound reproduction, tearing, bottoming out, or anything of the like even though I've pushed the speakers to the limits.

My main reason as why I would rate the speakers themselves as very good, is that there is a tinny quality to them, especially with the mid-to-high and highs (trebles). This would not be related to Slacker radio as I would never subjectively test speakers with streaming music, as from the sound quality I'm guessing it's streaming at 128 or 160kbps (CD quality was 192kbps). I've tested with 320kbps from a thumb drive on a variety of music files and came to this conclusion.

Defjukie

Country
Country
Being somewhat of an audiophile myself, I do find the speaker system in the PUP Model 3 to be very good. I wouldn't go as far as to say the sound quality is stunning and excellent, but the dynamics of the system I would definitely consider excellent. By this I mean the immersive quality of the sound in the cabin, as well as the balance of the bass vs mid vs treble.

My preference is usually unlocalized sound, as in not being able to easily determine the source of a single sound range, which is where the Model 3 system shines. If you move the balance of the sound from it's default center to slightly back (a half a circle to a circle behind the default) and then put the immersive sound option on high, listening from the driver's seat becomes a real joy. Nowadays I listen to mostly upbeat music outside of classical, so I have a standard V setup in the equalizer (high bass, medium mid, high treble). When blasting music (90% volume, 100% is deafening almost) with these settings, you don't feel like you're in a car from the perspective of sound immersion. I absolutely love it.

Quality of the speakers in terms of longevity and ability to handle extremes so far has been excellent as well. I hear no issues with sound reproduction, tearing, bottoming out, or anything of the like even though I've pushed the speakers to the limits.

My main reason as why I would rate the speakers themselves as very good, is that there is a tinny quality to them, especially with the mid-to-high and highs (trebles). This would not be related to Slacker radio as I would never subjectively test speakers with streaming music, as from the sound quality I'm guessing it's streaming at 128 or 160kbps (CD quality was 192kbps). I've tested with 320kbps from a thumb drive on a variety of music files and came to this conclusion.
Agree with all of this, it’s why I’m considering replacing some of the midrange speakers and tweeters in the dash / A-pillars.

From sleuthing in the parts catalog, I was able to determine that the factory mids are 4” (3.94” to be exact) and the tweeters are standard 1”.

One thing that was curious in the parts catalog, is that the solo tweeter in the dash is listed as “passive” while the ones in the A-pillars are marked “active”. I take this to mean there’s a passive crossover somewhere in line with the dash tweeter, while the a-pillar tweeters are only sent high frequency signal from the amp.

dannyskim

Agree with all of this, it’s why I’m considering replacing some of the midrange speakers and tweeters in the dash / A-pillars.

From sleuthing in the parts catalog, I was able to determine that the factory mids are 4” (3.94” to be exact) and the tweeters are standard 1”.

One thing that was curious in the parts catalog, is that the solo tweeter in the dash is listed as “passive” while the ones in the A-pillars are marked “active”. I take this to mean there’s a passive crossover somewhere in line with the dash tweeter, while the a-pillar tweeters are only sent high frequency signal from the amp.
Keep me posted! I was considering looking into this stuff myself some, maybe when the time comes we can information share.

Kaos

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
While the premium sound was not too bad, I went with a Reus Audio System to further improve things. I've been using them for my leased cars over the years, and once you hear the improvement, there's no going back for me. I spend a lot of time in my car, and really enjoy the enhanced sound.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
While the premium sound was not too bad, I went with a Reus Audio System to further improve things. I've been using them for my leased cars over the years, and once you hear the improvement, there's no going back for me. I spend a lot of time in my car, and really enjoy the enhanced sound.
Can you post some pics?

Defjukie

Country
Country
Would you mind going over some of the details of the system?

Did they add an aftermarket amp? If so, where does it tap power from and where do they get the input signal for it?
Also, if they added an aftermarket sub: where did they put it? Did they leave the stock sub connected?