Model 3 Tax Incentive Rebate

• Please keep posts on topic and refrain from short messages. Thanks!
  • Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271

TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
It makes total sense for them to ramp up production as fast as possible so when the 200K is reached they can haul ass and deliver as many as they can!

Here is a link to the best review I have seen on what might be reasonable for Model 3 reservists to expect from Tesla and the current US $7500 tax incentive. Highly likely many if not most of the 250,000 or so will receive the full tax incentive and, using past history with Elon, a reasonable expectation that he will attempt to sell 199,999 just before a quarter close so the next 2 quarters he can push as many though as possible to provide as many full incentives as possible.

New US currency motto: "In Elon we Trust!" -- Hopefully no one takes this as sacrilege as it isn't meant to be.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markrog...ple-who-get-7500-back-heres-how/#75e9535b2783

Van Shrider

Country
Country
I feel like Forbes has been strangely favorable to Tesla to the point that I've questioned their coverage. On the flipside other publications are incredibly negative. Hard to tell who to trust.

Mirek

Can someone confirm incentives in Ontario? What I understand it should be $13,000. I do not think there is limit on how many cars are made?

Maximum limit is $14000 or 30% of car's MSRP whichever is less. Plus you get up to $1000 for charger and installation (up to $500 for charger and up to $500 for installation).

They never specified any limits but I suspect they will change the program somehow in several years like they did for original rebate for hybrids. Now you cannot get a rebate on a non-plugin hybrid vehicle. Several years ago you could.

xxZULAxx

Country
Country
So, i am bit confused what exactly this is. I hear many names being mentioned out there, federal cash rebate or federal tax incentive. If i understand this right, one gives you check and the other one reduced your income, hence, paying less taxes. I was listening to TalkingTesla podcast and the very last bit they asked was, would you buy model 3 if federal cash rebate was gone.

Here is link to the podcast, http://www.talkingtesla.net/blog-episodes/ , April 12 EP 29 - ELON STICKS THE LANDING, if you listen to the last few seconds

TrevP

Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
That's sounds great. Is there limit on how many cars are made?
Thanks
No the 200,000 car limit is only in the US. Canada has so such limits imposed for how many cars. The only limit is whatever is in the fund and I can't seem to find what the limit is. The only numbers given were 20 million set aside for a charging network deployment in Ontario, other than Tesla's which is self-funded.

TrevP

Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
So, i am bit confused what exactly this is. I hear many names being mentioned out there, federal cash rebate or federal tax incentive. If i understand this right, one gives you check and the other one reduced your income, hence, paying less taxes. I was listening to TalkingTesla podcast and the very last bit they asked was, would you buy model 3 if federal cash rebate was gone.

Here is link to the podcast, http://www.talkingtesla.net/blog-episodes/ , April 12 EP 29 - ELON STICKS THE LANDING, if you listen to the last few seconds

It's pretty straight forward. In the US there is a Federal Tax credit of up for $7500 which can be used to reduce your tax liability. Your accountant will be able to help you out with that one. You fill out form 8636 to claim the credit. Your state however may have extra rebates you can apply but you'll have to look that up yourself.

In Canada our rebates are exactly as they sound: real rebates in the form of a cheque that is mailed to you after you take delivery of the car and you've submitted the paperwork to the government. Takes a few weeks to get it.

It has nothing to do with taxes or income. Everyone qualifies. However, we don't have anything at the federal level, it's provincial and only 3 provinces have EV rebates: Ontario, BC and Quebec.

There are links to each rebate program for those provinces in the FAQ section at the top of this website.

Here I am, a Canadian, explaining the US tax credit ;)

ölbrenner

M3OC Supporting Member
Country
Country
It's pretty straight forward. In the US there is a Federal Tax credit of up for $7500 which can be used to reduce your tax liability...Here I am, a Canadian, explaining the US tax credit ;)
Bravo, finally the correct answer. There is no US EV Federal tax rebate or incentive, cash or otherwise. It's a tax credit.

Also saw mentioned elsewhere above if you lease, you don't get the tax credit. That is incorrect. The lease company buying the car gets the credit, and that credit is passed on to you in the form of lower payments. In effect, if you lease you are guaranteed the full credit, whereas if you buy you won't if your tax bill is less than $7500.

Last edited: