Model 3 Top Selling EV. Ho Hum? How about top selling car in Small/Mid Luxury Class EV or ICE?

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Why do I feel like I'm the only one who follows @TrevP ‘s M3OC tweets? Nobody comments about groundbreaking tweets of his.

So today, Trev RT Cleantechnica's chart that Model 3 is the top selling EV in the U.S. for April 2018.

83E04514-BFE1-4AAA-9683-306895C6693E.jpeg
Yea. Whatever. We knew that Tesla can't make them fast enough and there's a waiting list of half a million. Boring news...

But wait. Cleantechnica had another article yesterday showing that for April 2018, the Model 3 is ranked 5th in U.S. sales for combined Small and Midsize Luxury cars REGARDLESS of ICE or EV. See that many of the other brands have multiple models lumped together for stats.

94D220E9-F2E2-422A-BFE1-EE47C4557E35.jpeg

It gets even better when compared to only Midsize Luxury U.S. car sales where it is ranked a close #2 behind the Mercedes C-Class. THAT'S CRAZY!!!! No wonder the luxury car makers are tripping over each other to rush out competing EVs.

4894821E-0361-4142-B0A9-226752B7D55C.jpeg

Now Cleantechnica starts getting all creative at predicting the chart for May and says Telsa will sell 8,000 Model 3s and be leader of all combined Small/Mid Luxury cars. I don't think it will happen in May even though that's only 2000 Model 3s per week because of another planned adjustment of the manufacturing line and Model 3s are getting sent to Canada. It will happen very soon, though!

75B65918-CBFB-4A36-A2E5-04A69490BEA6.jpeg

The final amazing chart is the list of the top 20 cars sold in U.S. regardless of category. If the Model 3 hits 8,000 that would slot into the 15th most popular car in the U.S. 12,000 units per month (3k/wk) would be #9, 16,000/month (4k/wk) would be #6. If Tesla truly can hit a sustained 20,000/month (5k/wk) by the end of Q2, then the Model 3 will be the 5th most popular car sold in the U.S. only behind the Camry, Civic, Corolla, and Accord. My mind is blown.

1F61840B-F552-4667-83D6-C56A0B16F70B.jpeg
Source: Cleantechnica
Links:
https://cleantechnica.com/2018/05/0...ctric-car-sales-us-electric-car-sales-report/
https://cleantechnica.com/2018/05/0...ium-car-competition-new-sales-figures-charts/
https://cleantechnica.com/2018/05/0...lling-car-in-usa-15-in-may-6-in-june-or-july/

Attachments

Last edited:

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Elon has said in the past that he wants the Model 3 to be the best mass market car available regardless of if it's an ICE or EV. If he hits his target of 10k/week, the Model 3 will be the number one car sold in the U.S. PERIOD.

DISCLAIMER: Forward looking projections do not account for adjustment from EST (Elon Standard Time)

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Why do I feel like I'm the only one who follows @TrevP ‘s M3OC tweets? Nobody comments about groundbreaking tweets of his.

So today, Trev RT Cleantechnica's chart that Model 3 is the top selling EV in the U.S. for April 2018.

View attachment 8333
Yea. Whatever. We knew that Tesla can't make them fast enough and there's a waiting list of half a million. Boring news...

But wait. Cleantechnica had another article yesterday showing that for April 2018, the Model 3 is ranked 5th in U.S. sales for combined Small and Midsize Luxury cars REGARDLESS of ICE or EV. See that many of the other brands have multiple models lumped together for stats.

View attachment 8334

It gets even better when compared to only Midsize Luxury U.S. car sales where it is ranked a close #2 behind the Mercedes C-Class. THAT'S CRAZY!!!! No wonder the luxury car makers are tripping over each other to rush out competing EVs.

View attachment 8335

Now Cleantechnica starts getting all creative at predicting the chart for May and says Telsa will sell 8,000 Model 3s and be leader of all combined Small/Mid Luxury cars. I don't think it will happen in May even though that's only 2000 Model 3s per week because of another planned adjustment of the manufacturing line and Model 3s are getting sent to Canada. It will happen very soon, though!

View attachment 8336

The final amazing chart is the list of the top 20 cars sold in U.S. regardless of category. If the Model 3 hits 8,000 that would slot into the 15th most popular car in the U.S. 12,000 units per month (3k/wk) would be #9, 16,000/month (4k/wk) would be #6. If Tesla truly can hit a sustained 20,000/month (5k/wk) by the end of Q2, then the Model 3 will be the 5th most popular car sold in the U.S. only behind the Camry, Civic, Corolla, and Accord. My mind is blown.

View attachment 8337
Source: Cleantechnica
Links:
https://cleantechnica.com/2018/05/0...ctric-car-sales-us-electric-car-sales-report/
https://cleantechnica.com/2018/05/0...ium-car-competition-new-sales-figures-charts/
https://cleantechnica.com/2018/05/0...lling-car-in-usa-15-in-may-6-in-june-or-july/
It still amazes me to see the Prius PHEV has the second highest sales figure for the EV category. People don't realize what they are missing with the Model 3. But of course, price is a big factor along with the Toyota name. Oh well :rolleyes:

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Also something to note is that Ford is dropping all of their sedans. So the Fiesta/Focus/Fusion will be gone soon. What really is missing is that all of these 4 door sedans are losing marketshare to SUV's. What will be really interesting is to see how the Model Y does against the BMW X3/5, Audi Q3/5, and Mercedes GLC/GLE type SUV's. And can it get close to things like the Rav4 and CRV. That would be really something but Honda sells 30k+ CRV's a month.

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founding Father, Red Dragon rider
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Elon has said in the past that he wants the Model 3 to be the best mass market car available regardless of if it's an ICE or EV. If he hits his target of 10k/week, the Model 3 will be the number one car sold in the U.S. PERIOD.
(...)
Would love that too, Brokedoc, yet at that level, we need to factor in that not all sales will stay in the domestic market and a good chunk will serve international markets. Think 25k monthly US sales would already be yuuuge even if that would not get Model the #1 spot in US... ;)

DR61

Country
Country
Also something to note is that Ford is dropping all of their sedans. So the Fiesta/Focus/Fusion will be gone soon.
I think Ford is loosing market share to competition in small sedans/hatchbacks in the US; I see many new Honda Civics in my area, but few Foci & Fiestas. Ford is giving up on sedans and hatchbacks to their competitors in the US.. This is not the case in Europe, for instance.

Daliman

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Given the long wait list Tesla can sell every car it produces for the next 2-3 yrs. The sales of all of the ICE cars on that list will fall, just as luxury sedans have. The Model 3 will dominate its class for a couple of years before there is serious competition. The begining of the end for ICE.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Here is the BIG PICTURE:

The Model 3 is going through the end of the steep part of the ramp curve for GA3 and the cumulative sales numbers are impressive.
For 2018 through the end of May, the Model 3 is #100 of the top 100 best selling vehicles in the USA regardless of propulsion type (trucks included). Of course that includes a slow Q1 for the Model 3.

When only looking at May 2018, the Model 3 comes in at #71 best selling vehicle in the USA.

As GA3 produces at full capacity of 5-6k/wk for a whole month and GA4 ramps, the Model 3 will skyrocket into the top 20 and blow past the next closest luxury vehicle, the Lexus RX at #54 with just less than 10k sold in the US in May 2018.

Amazing.

source: https://focus2move.com/usa-best-selling-cars/

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I truly don't understand how shorts can continue to argue their position. Does Mercedes, Audi, and BMW need to go out of business before they cover their short positions and stop spreading FUD?

These are only projections for July sales numbers but it’s NOT EVEN CLOSE. Tesla Model 3 outsells the 2nd place Mercedes C class by more than 250%!

1D77C000-4CDF-4DE9-A3A4-452AC9098E12.jpeg

Even when combining multiple classes of cars such as Audi A3+A4+A5 or BMW 2+3+4 series or Mercedes C + CLA, the Model 3 still CRUSHES them.

02E207C7-4294-40CD-B96B-C48E6FE50239.jpeg

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/07/2...sales-usa-tesla-now-crushing-the-competition/

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I was overcome by a sudden desire to be creative.

E702DD9B-16E7-4933-8738-CE74FEDCB8B8.jpeg