Model 3 TPMS?

TheTony

It happened.
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm still waiting on my invitation to configure (assuming it's coming in the next month or so). However, I've begun doing some "housekeeping" items to prep. Among them, winter tires.

I recently picked up a set of 18" wheels to use for winter tires and plan on picking a set of winter tires that I've had my eye on, as the local stores begin to mark down winter tires, as we're heading towards the end of winter shortly.

Which brings me to my question. Given that I'm purchasing these and having them mounted before they're on the car, I assume the 3 uses TPMS and that I'd have to have the sensor ready to go when I have the winter tires installed. Has anyone purchased a TPMS sensor/assembly yet? Did you go through Tesla to get it? If so, what do they charge and are there any miscellaneous additional items I would also need (caps, nuts, etc)? Alternately, has anyone sourced these outside of Tesla directly?

Thanks!

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Which brings me to my question. Given that I'm purchasing these and having them mounted before they're on the car, I assume the 3 uses TPMS and that I'd have to have the sensor ready to go when I have the winter tires installed. Has anyone purchased a TPMS sensor/assembly yet? Did you go through Tesla to get it? If so, what do they charge and are there any miscellaneous additional items I would also need (caps, nuts, etc)? Alternately, has anyone sourced these outside of Tesla directly?
You'll need a VIN to order parts through a Tesla service center, so if you want to go that route, you'll have to wait until you have a VIN assigned (which, as we've seen, may be only a week or two before you take delivery, so take that timing into account). Pricing seems to vary -- I've seen recent posts on TMC stating that the service center charged them anywhere from $50 - $100 each.

Alternatively, you can buy Model-3-specific TPMS now from TireRack for $65/each. (I can't tell whether they the same as the OEM TPMS, in case that matters.) The part number is the same as the post-2014 Model S/X, so theoretically any set of post-2014 Model S/X TPMS that you can find should also work for the 3.

BTW, out of curiosity, which 18" wheels did you end up going with?

Oregonian

Country
Country
I'm still waiting on my invitation to configure (assuming it's coming in the next month or so). However, I've begun doing some "housekeeping" items to prep. Among them, winter tires.

I recently picked up a set of 18" wheels to use for winter tires and plan on picking a set of winter tires that I've had my eye on, as the local stores begin to mark down winter tires, as we're heading towards the end of winter shortly.

Thanks!
Tesla charges about $200 a wheel if memory serves. You can get an entire set off eBay for $140 and get them installed at any tire shop. You need 433MHz

TheTony

It happened.
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You'll need a VIN to order parts through a Tesla service center, so if you want to go that route, you'll have to wait until you have a VIN assigned (which, as we've seen, may be only a week or two before you take delivery, so take that timing into account). Pricing seems to vary -- I've seen recent posts on TMC stating that the service center charged them anywhere from $50 - $100 each.

Alternatively, you can buy Model-3-specific TPMS now from TireRack for $65/each. (I can't tell whether they the same as the OEM TPMS, in case that matters.) The part number is the same as the post-2014 Model S/X, so theoretically any set of post-2014 Model S/X TPMS that you can find should also work for the 3.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely look at Tire Rack - I had seen that the S sensors seemed to almost double in price last fall, so if they're still selling them at that price, I'm not sure I'd bother buying direct unless there was a pressing reason to. I find it strange that they'd require a VIN for that part, since I can, without a problem, order the winter tire package (includes wheel/tire/TPMS/cover) from my account.

Tesla charges about $200 a wheel if memory serves. You can get an entire set off eBay for $140 and get them installed at any tire shop. You need 433MHz
Thank you - I will definitely check that out. $140 all in is far more reasonable than $100+. I'll probably call them next week just to see what the current price is, but at that price I have no intention of buying direct.

Last edited:

oneshortguy

Country
Country
If you want OEM Tesla TPMS, T Sportline also stocks them. You just need to contact and purchase them. They will ship them to you after that... Or you can include it when you order TST Turbine Style Wheels

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi, I'm in the same search here, and I've found some OEM 18" sets on ebay that include everything, including the ugly hubcaps and even the tires, but no TPMS. TheTony, I'm also curious which wheel you choose and how much you pay for it.

Scrapps

Country
Country

TheTony

It happened.
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi, I'm in the same search here, and I've found some OEM 18" sets on ebay that include everything, including the ugly hubcaps and even the tires, but no TPMS. TheTony, I'm also curious which wheel you choose and how much you pay for it.
I got the pinwheels (the alloys under the aero covers) and found gunmetal color TPMS on eBay that match well. I tried to find secondary sellers but the prices people were asking was ridiculous, at the time. I paid $200 each, direct from my local service center.

Any questions, let me know.

scaots

Tesla Pilot, Owner, and Shareholder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Click desktop site at the very bottom of the page and then try this link. For some reason they only show tires on the mobile site, no wheels or other things like TPMS.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Here's the ones I bought from ebay.
Scraps if you don’t me asking what tire pressure are you running in your 20”s just wondering if you get a warning still I did a swap for my 20”s was sitting at 35psi but getting a warning went up to 40 psi still showing really don’t want to go much higher.

Scrapps

Country
Country
45 (since this post reduced to 42)

Last edited:

RMGumina

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Anyone know if the TPMS sensors are the same for the dual motor? I was assume so, but no sure.

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Anyone know if the TPMS sensors are the same for the dual motor? I was assume so, but no sure.
Yes, should be the same. TPMS is not related to drive unit, so shouldn't make a difference.

EVTuning

M3OC Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country

You are correct they are the same continental sensors as a Model S VIN >50900 And all Model X. I carry them for the same price as Tirerack. https://www.evtuningsolutions.com/products/tpms-sensor-for-continental-tpms-system

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You are correct they are the same continental sensors as a Model S VIN >50900 And all Model X. I carry them for the same price as Tirerack. https://www.evtuningsolutions.com/products/tpms-sensor-for-continental-tpms-system
I'm looking at your webpage now. Are the TSportline 18 inch Turbine rims for the Model 3 the same flow-forged 21lb ones that are up for pre-order on their website right now? If so do they also come with free shipping like the pre-orders? (assuming these are simply ordered through TSportline through your website)

EVTuning

M3OC Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
I'm looking at your webpage now. Are the TSportline 18 inch Turbine rims for the Model 3 the same flow-forged 21lb ones that are up for pre-order on their website right now? If so do they also come with free shipping like the pre-orders? (assuming these are simply ordered through TSportline through your website)
They are the same wheels. We are out of stock as well. So yes we are waiting for them as well.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
They are the same wheels. We are out of stock as well. So yes we are waiting for them as well.
If I order them through your site will they arrive at the same time?

Sorry for hijacking this thread with rim talk btw lol

EVTuning

M3OC Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
If I order them through your site will they arrive at the same time?

Sorry for hijacking this thread with rim talk btw lol
Yes it would be the same time.