1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

Model 3 Turning Radius

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill' started by Alan K. Chan, Jun 24, 2017.

More threads by Alan K. Chan
  1. Alan K. Chan

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country
    Does anyone have an idea of what the exact turning radius of the Model 3 is going to be or will we just have to wait until the launch?

This is important for my mother who wouldn't drive anything to the grocery store or gym without the same or smaller turning radius as her existing Mercedes. She would just be too scared of banging up the corners. She wants to avoid the creepy strangers who always seem to hit her up in the grocery store parking lots promising to fix the scratches on her bumper because "they think she has an expensive looking car".

Obviously, she's not the best driver and technology scares her so the summon feature might not be right for her from the get go. Maybe once she gets comfortable with the car but until that time, I need to prove to her that she can handle the car manually for the time being and for a considerable amount of time thereafter ie short turn radius in the cliche use case (grocery store parking lot). If all the calls I get from her for basic Windows help are any indication, I'm going to be fielding a lot of summon and autopilot help calls from her if I can get her interested in the "car" part of this smartcar.

2. Iaeen

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Madison WI
    Country
    I remember one of the engineers bragging about the short turning radius in one of the test drive videos from the reveal. I think it's supposed to be really good. Search YouTube for "Model 3 first ride", and you'll find that video among the 4-5 others.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • SoFlaModel3

Impatiently Waiting
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Coral Springs, FL
      Country
      Agree... it seemed impressive from the alpha prototype test drives at the unveiling. Of course the final production vehicle may vary, but I think it should be good!

Side note, if she doesn't already have a reservation she will be able to get a test drive well before even committing to purchase the vehicle.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
        Staff Member Founder
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Aurora,Ontario
        Country
        I can say the wheel base on the Model 3 is some 3-4" shorter than the Model S so that should help.

What I did find during my extended test drive is that the Model S doesn't a lot of travel in the steering from lock to lock. If Model 3 improves on that then it should match pretty much any sedan in its size class.

As for test drives she should be fine to get one once they get through the test drives for early reservation holders.

• Alan K. Chan

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Los Angeles, CA
        Country
        I made two reservations way back on the first day for reservations on 3/31, expecting that I would use the first one for myself and the second for my mother. Yet, in all that time since, I hadn't asked her what she wants until now. Besides power seats and a sunroof, this is her deal breaker. Grocery store parking lot drivability.

It sounds like we're not going to get a number before the launch. I know for sure that she'd want something under 19 feet though.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • GARRITY

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          MANTECA, CA
          Country

Turning radius for 2017 Model S is 18.5Ft. according to google.

• PcGuy

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          Las Vegas, NV
          Country
          The turning radius for my 2016 Mazda 3 hatchback is 17.39′. I am quite happy with that. If it's at least close, I'll be very pleased.