1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

Model 3 vs Older Model S

Discussion in 'Reserving, Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by teslaliving, Aug 20, 2017.

More threads by teslaliving
  1. teslaliving

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Boston
    Country
    I've been thinking about how the 3 is different than my Model S and I came up with this list vs my April 2014 Model S:

• Autopilot
      • Didn’t exist in April 2014 for Tesla
    • Active safety
      • Automatic emergency braking, collision avoidance etc. These didn’t exist on the S in 2014.
    • All-Wheel Drive
      • Also didn’t exist in April 2014
    • LTE network connectivity
      • Also not available in 2014. Faster maps, faster streaming
      • Available as a $500 upgrade for my Model S, but not worth the price
    • Built-in front console
    • Rear cup holders
    • Rear USB ports
    • Coat hooks
    • Front door storage areas/pockets
    • Rear set pockets
    • Cargo cover
      • In this case via a trunk, but in my Model S they didn’t provide the rear cargo cover and it was always too pricey after the fact
    • Size
      • The smaller size of the 3 can also be a benefit for those with smaller garages, and parking in the cities or in general. The Model S is a very long and wide car which can make it a real pain to park at times.
    • Speed
      • While new Model S’s all outperform the Model 3, the 0-60 is 5.4s in my Model S85. The long range Model 3 does 0-60 in 5.1s and will probably be a bit better when configured with AWD. The Model 3 will be faster than my S.
    • Range
      • The long range Model 3 has a smaller battery than my Model S (80kWh vs 85kWh), yet is rated at 310 miles of range vs my 265 mile rating. That 310 will also likely be a shade longer with AWD configured.
    • Premium audio
      • I have standard Audio in my S and wouldn’t pay for premium as an extra but it seems it would come with the package in the 3.
    • Fog lamps
    • Smart phone docking in center console
    • Model 3 climate control system with the fancy new air direction controls
    • Adjustable height seat belts
      • This is a big deal for my wife as she’s 5’0″ and the S ones are too high for her
    • Lighted vanity mirrors
      • My S has vanity mirrors, but no lighting.
    • Power close charge port door
      • This doesn’t exist on early Model S’s
    Unkown items

There are also a few items that I suspect will be better in the 3 than my S:
    • Tire Pressure Monitoring System
      • This one I’m a bit unsure of. A TPMS exists in the 3, but can you see individual tire pressures as you can on the newer S’s? If so that is something I don’t have. Today, I can only tell if a tire is low and then I have to check all 4 to find out which one is low. It would be great to be able to see the actual pressures in each tire rather than checking them all by hand weekly.
    • Seating
      • While I don’t have a problem with leather, supposedly the new material they’re using instead of leather is quite durable and comfortable.
      • I have the first-generation Model S seats, they’re on the 3rd generation right now for the S. Those first generation seats are pretty uncomfortable on long drives.
      • I expect the Model 3 seats to be better than the ones in my Model S.
    • Heated steering wheel
      • This doesn’t exist on my S even though I have the cold weather package as it was added into the package later. The newer Model S’s have this. I don’t know if it exists on the Model 3 or not. If it does it would be a welcome addition.
    • Road noise
      • The original Model S’s were poorly insulated from road noise. In newer cars, they tightened up the tolerances, added more sound deadening material and generally reduced the noise. I suspect the Model 3 will be quieter than my Model S.
    That's a lot of progress in 3.5 years!

• Like Like x 11
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • SoFlaModel3

Impatiently Waiting
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Coral Springs, FL
      Country
      Great list and great progress for sure!

Yes on TPMS showing individual tire pressures on newer Model S' so I'm sure we'll see that on the 3.

• Like Like x 1
      • MelindaV

☰ > 3
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Vancouver, WA
        Country
        One of my clients at work has a Signature Model S (I keep meaning to see what his serial# is next time we meet at their office) and while a beautiful car, I think of all the advancements that have been made since those early Model Ss (he also has 2 Model 3s on reserve!).

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Sandy

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          Cobourg, Ontario
          Country
          When I was tracking almost every month we saw advancements that made for better lap times. SO COOL to see the same now for the future.
          NOT for lap times but for improvements.

• BobLoblaw

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          Kelowna BC
          Country
          Thank you for this list! I was contemplating an older (pre-auto) S as I'm in Canada and the wait is well...longer than I hoped. I hummed and hawed and almost pulled the trigger - but decided to hold out for some of the reasons you listed. You've upped the game considerably (great list!) and it actually holds a lot of weight for us prospective buyers since you own exactly what I'd be buying!

I'm sticking with the 3. Thanks again, I'll be forwarding a copy of your reasons to both my brother and father - who are also contemplating a used S.

Seriously helpful!

• Agree Agree x 2
          • teslaliving

Top-Contributor
            Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
            Boston
            Country
            That's why I had it in the unknown section. It's on the new S's but not yet confirmed as far as I've seen on the 3.

• Agree Agree x 1