Model S fires

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
The preliminary NTSB report on this crash was released today. As expected, excessive speed was involved. The posted speed limit was 30mph on this street with 25mph for the turn that the accident occurred.

3 seconds before the crash, the car was going 116mph and was at 108mph 2 seconds before the crash when the driver applied the brake. At the time of the initial impact, speed was 86mph. Such a tragedy. Hopefully the new speed limiting feature will prevent deaths like this in the future.

https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Reports/HWY18FH013-prelim.pdf

John

Tech Founder
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A local TV news producer called me today asking me if I'd talk about Tesla safety in light of the most recent fire here in Los Gatos. (She has heard me discuss Tesla before at local events.)

I declined, saying that I didn't think one Tesla catching on fire is news when 150,000 other cars catch fire each year in the US. Just couldn't bring myself to participate in the dismal job that is modern "if it bleeds, it leads" journalism. They think they are "just reporting the news," but in a state as diverse as California, and a country as diverse as the US, there must be ACTUAL news to report, rather than just a titillating schadenfreude exercise involving Tesla.

Last edited:

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Since this appears to have become a generic "Model S fires" thread, I've updated the title.