Model S off menu upgrades

Ronnie

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Hey! I am looking into getting a CPO model S and one thing I’ve been thinking about is the service center upgrades you can do such as 60kwh to 75kwh and I have heard of other off the menu upgrades but wanted to reach out to see if anyone has a list or can compile one together. It would really help me decide on what year/trim to get.
Thanks

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hey! I am looking into getting a CPO model S and one thing I’ve been thinking about is the service center upgrades you can do such as 60kwh to 75kwh and I have heard of other off the menu upgrades but wanted to reach out to see if anyone has a list or can compile one together. It would really help me decide on what year/trim to get.
Hey there,

Is there a particular CPO Model S that you're looking at? Can you share a link to the listing?

In general, there actually aren't that many "off-menu" upgrades that Tesla can perform. Only certain 60 kWh Model S vehicles (produced in 2016 and early 2017) are upgradeable to 75 kWh. That's because those 60 kWh packs are actually 75 kWh packs that have been limited by the car's software to 60 kWh. If you're looking at a specific 2016 or 2017 CPO Model S with a 60 kWh pack, the seller should be able to confirm whether the pack is upgradeable (and you should be able to confirm this with your Tesla service center by giving them the VIN).

Tesla can also add software features like Autopilot Convenience Features, Enhanced Autopilot, and Full Self-Driving to a Model S, depending on which Autopilot hardware the car has. The seller should be able to tell you which hardware suite is installed (and, again, you should be able to confirm with your service center that enabling the desired Autopilot features is possible, and what it will cost). The hardware version installed by production date is:
  • Prior to October 2014: No Autopilot hardware
  • October 2014 - September 2016: Autopilot Hardware 1.0
  • October 2016 - July 2017: Autopilot Hardware 2.0
  • August 2017 and later: Autopilot Hardware 2.5
Hope this helps with your search. Although the name of this community is Model 3 Owners Club, and most of the conversation at the moment centers around the Model 3, many members here are long-time Tesla enthusiasts that have been following the company and its entire portfolio of vehicles for quite a while. We'll happy to help you out in any way we can!

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Since this is primarily a website to discuss Model 3, you might have a hard time finding lots of people to answer questions specifically about the Model S. TMC is a more general Tesla forum, so there are a lot more Model S owners who hang out there, so you might get better results for your Model S specific questions there.

This site might be useful to you. It shows hardware updates & options changed by date. It appears to have stopped getting updated in early 2017, but could still be useful if you're buying an older CPO.
https://sites.google.com/site/teslamotorsclubwiki/home/model-s/options-by-year

Last edited by a moderator:

Ronnie

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Since this is primarily a website to discuss Model 3, you might have a hard time finding lots of people to answer questions specifically about the Model S. TMC is a more general Tesla forum, so there are a lot more Model S owners who hang out there, so you might get better results for your Model S specific questions there.

This site might be useful to you. It shows hardware updates & options changed by date. It appears to have stopped getting updated in early 2017, but could still be useful if you're buying an older CPO.
https://sites.google.com/site/teslamotorsclubwiki/home/model-s/options-by-year
Thank you! :)