Model S/X AP2.0/2.5 only now starting to use side cameras?

Discussion in 'Tesla Discussions' started by Brokedoc, Feb 21, 2018.

More threads by Brokedoc
  1. Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model X
    Country
    Normally I don't like to cross post from other forums a lot but I found a very interesting post that tells a lot about how slowly Tesla has been evolving their AP 2.0/2.5 and also (not in a good way) may say something about build quality.

One interesting point made by the service dude was that the last few updates have been significantly bigger in file size. He said that they used to need about 15 mins to transfer to the car over wifi in the SvC but recently they are between 1 and 2 hours.
    He stated that since late December, the cars are now 'using' the 4 side cameras. By this, he clarified, the AP is now in ghost mode, not actively using them to influence the drive. When you brake, it checks if it wanted to brake. When you shift left in the lane, it checks if it would have done the same. etc etc. He said that he knows the cameras have just started being used as they had a flurry of service visits in January for cameras not working. They had in fact never worked but never needed to. There was even one where the cables were not plugged into the camera in the factory but had gone unnoticed until now as there were no calls for the camera to do anything. All that has changed now. Fingers crossed, this means that the learning will turn into doing in the near future.
    I am aware this is not new news as this ghost mode has been discussed on here before but I thought I'd share how the service tech explained it to me. Sounds like progress to me.

If this report is accurate, the cars with AP2.0 since 2016 have been driving around with inactivated side cameras (which also explains why we don't have the side images in our display like AP1 cars). More scary is the reports of all of the cameras that were not functioning when the software tried to turn it on and one vehicle where the camera wasn't even plugged in!

Hopefully this new shadow functionality will quickly load fleet data to the mothership and allow AP to further progress towards FSD.

Original post here: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/2576770/

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
  3. garsh

Dis Member
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Country
    I thought this was common knowledge? This is actually the first I've heard of the side cameras being used at all. This seems like good progress to me.

Tesla’s Autopilot 2.0 is now using 2 out of 8 cameras with the new update, March 30th 2017

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model X
    Country
    I actually had no idea that the AP hardware wasn't being fully utilized. AP 2.0 has been out since 10/16 and it may have not been a surprise 5 months later in 3/17 that they were still on 2 cameras. I am surprised that only in December or Jan did they start using 2 more cameras.

As Tesla fanatics, we want things to progress faster. We're constantly coming up with new ideas on how to implement Tesla technology. I hit a pothole yesterday and I was thinking "wouldn't it be great if Tesla could auto detect those and upload them to the fleet so other cars know to avoid the left side of the lane in that location?"

Meanwhile we hear of agonizingly slow, apparent backwards things like it takes 1 1/2 years to activate 2 more cameras and 1 1/2 years to activate automatic wipers. At this rate (AP2.0/2.5 has 8 cameras), will it take another 3 years to activate all of the cameras?

5. JWardell

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    That's right, AP is still barely using its hardware. We have a long way to go and I'm excited for what's to come. Sadly it seemed like Tesla hit the pause button on its previously impressive autopilot capability increases, but I think in reality they realized the potential dangers and decided to implement very rigorous testing for any new functionality that involves driving and safety. Little things like steering wheel heater functionality can still be pushed out quickly, but potentially dangerous functions like autopilot are put in a very extensive testing loop. Good chance it will all catch up in the next year.

6. Spiffywerks

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    And 7-10 more years for Level 5 Driving. :p "KITT, take me to Starbucks!"

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. alpinebum1

Expand Collapse

Country
    I wonder how many people are going go name their Tesla "KITT" once Telsa offers a "Hey Siri"-type function with FSD?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1