1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

Model S/X Suspension Issues

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TrevP, Jun 10, 2016.

More threads by TrevP
  1. RSSFeed

M3OC RSS Bot
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

The news of NHTSA regulators looking into a potential problem with the Tesla Model S’ suspension blew up yesterday after literally hundreds of media outlets, from Reuters to the NY Times, picked up the story. There are a lot of misleading headlines and reports out there right now so let’s focus on the facts we know so far.

The actual potential problem with Tesla’s suspension is only part of what prompt NHTSA to probe the situation. Media are widely reporting that Tesla attempted to cover up the alleged problems by making owners sign a non-disclosure agreement.

NHTSA spokesman Bryan Thomas:

“The agency immediately informed Tesla that any language implying that consumers should not contact the agency regarding safety concerns is unacceptable, and N.H.T.S.A. expects Tesla to eliminate any such language. Tesla representatives told N.H.T.S.A. that it was not their intention to dissuade consumers from contacting the agency.”

First of, there’s currently no investigation or recall over this issue with Tesla. NHTSA is currently reviewing the case in order to decide if it needs to open a formal investigation. We will update if we get more information from the agency, but Tesla is already out with a statement claiming that there’s no defect on the Model S’ suspension and that the ‘NDA’ was not aimed at dissuading anyone to contact regulators, but they will work with NHTSA to correct it if there’s a need. more…

Filed under: Cars, Tesla Tagged: Model S, NHTSA, suspension, Tesla Model S, tesla suspension [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Continue reading...

2. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Country
  3. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Staff Member Founder
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Country
    The blog post says Tesla team on it but that's 100% Elon writing.

Love it :)

4. TitanG

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    BC
    So, more bad press for Tesla: http://www.thecarconnection.com/new...blems-and-tesla-isnt-happy-about-it?fbfanpage

I understand that having some extremely unusual wear on a new car (piece of suspension in a 2015 Model S) is frustrating, but I doubt this is worth all the attention it has been given. Suspension is something that you notice, not like the diesel emissions from Volkswagen, so I doubt this is a massive cover-up by Tesla. I'm inclined to believe Tesla that this may be an attempt to make money shorting stock, or at least that someone is VERY angry about their suspension.

These Tesla attacks, whether it be about the financials or the actual cars, that have very little substance or are obviously just meant to scare people must be grating on Tesla... I know it grates on me. To all the people who want to say Tesla is a sham or they're just stealing people's money, I'm pretty sure there are far more efficient ways of doing that OTHER than by starting not only a completely new car company, but an electric one to boot.

What does everyone else think?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • garsh

Dis Member
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Pittsburgh PA
      Country
    • TitanG

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      BC
      Yeah I skimmed it, but I just wanted to see what others' thoughts were. Obviously Tesla is going to defend themselves, but I believe they are mostly, if not entirely, correct.

• MelindaV

☰ > 3
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Vancouver, WA
      Country
      if you live down a road/driveway that the normal street-going tow truck can not go down, you probably should 1) do some re-paving/patching -or- 2) drive a vehicle designed for off-road use -or- 3) drive an $80k luxury street vehicle and expect to do major damage to it

• Daliman

Supporting Member
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Mississauga
      Country
      Wow what a fracas over one car! The TMC forum, the press and stock price have overreacted monumentally. The model s still has a five star safety rating and the lowest injury rate of any vehicle. It is clear something went wrong with this one car, and it was fixed out of warranty. It is blindingly obvious that trolls and pseudo journalists sought to exploit this. See Elon's latest tweets. Hope they pursue those false reports.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • TrevP

Staff Member Founder
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Aurora,Ontario
        Country
        #9 TrevP, Jun 10, 2016
        Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
        The shorts just love this stuff. Us longs have to grin and bear the shenanigans.

I can't for the life of me understand why there is so much vitriol for a new American car company that is providing huge amounts of jobs and showing the world good old American ingenuity and technology.
        I thought Americans were a little more patriotic given the sheer amount of flags I see every time I go down south (you hardly ever see Canadian flags on homes up here)

• Like Like x 1
        • Daliman

Supporting Member
          Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          Mississauga
          Country
          I think there is a tremendous set of myths built up in many areas of the US about what their prosperity was built on. This has lead to blind loyalty to certain brands which no longer provide a path to future prosperity and forgiveness of minor details like gm going bankrupt. Because Tesla is new and different it is automatically "foreign" although it is actually a pure representation of the innovation that built the US. The attacks on science, on immigration etc are part of this theme. Don't get me started on guns.

The trolls mostly just see something shaking the simple myths they live by and attack. The shorts are cynically making money by destroying value instead of creating it. Here's hoping the creative and positive spirit wins.

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • MelindaV

☰ > 3
            Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
            Vancouver, WA
            Country
            maybe not flags on each Canadian house, but there is this :)

Paxton.jpg

• TitanG

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
            BC
            To add to what others have said, I think it also has to do with geography. Some west coast, technology startup nerds think they can dethrone the good ol' Detroit muscle. This is also seen with the sentiment that educated people shouldn't be in power and that college is nothing more than a time for partying. Fringe views like these get waaaayyy too much air time down south...

• Agree Agree x 1
            • Skione65

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
              Kentucky
              Country
              Let me preface this by saying I thought long and hard for two days about even posting on this subject for several reasons. The Most Glaring one and the one I had most difficulty with was not wanting to even bring the Sickening VITRIOL and disgusting "internet manipulation" for 'self gain' to this wonderful Model 3 Forum and Community of friends I have made as has been happening on TMC. However I felt obligated to say my piece/"PEACE! I read the WHOLE suspension thread yesterday...all 45 pages.......what a mess. What a soap opera. Very disheartening. Initially I didn't know what to think. After much ado about what 'appears' to be nothing....not to discredit 'Safety' in automotive in any way....it appears this was all 'manufactured' in an attempt to (a) discredit the 'green' E.V. Movement in its entirety by Tesla/E.V. Haters and more significantly (b) to make money by the SA 'Shorters'....Congratulations...you've succeeded. A 1B yes....'B' hit to TSLA valuation. I'm appalled and ashamed. Even more so DISGUSTED......but this is the 'society' we live in today where everything is 'dog eat dog', "I Got Mine", and step on everyone to 'get what you can'.
              Appalling.....to say the very least. You can only read the thread yourself....if you have the stamina, the stomach, and blood pressure control. Please leave your Vitriol, dishonesty, manipulation and whatnot at the doorstep or on TMC.

Thank You.

Ski

As an adage to @TrevP above posting I'll attach the following:

Tweet by Elon,

"Of greater concern: 37 of 40 suspension complaints to NHTSA were fraudulent, i.e. false location or vehicle identification numbers were used."

• Agree Agree x 2
              • Daliman

Supporting Member
                Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
                Mississauga
                Country
                I agree , I read as much of the TMC thread as i could stomach. It goes from a simple question about a problem with one cars suspension in late April to an explosion of accusations. character assassination, veiled threats and counter accusations for days on end once it hit the press. All over one worn suspension part. Thankfully it did not cross over here. One of the posts usefully cites articles about the problems with suspensions experience by Toyota, Gm etc. Hundreds of thousands of vehicles recalled for suspension defects in 5 yrs and only moderate amount of press. The laser focus on this issue and the misinformation and possible outright fraud underlying 37 of the complaints reasonably support the conclusion that this was a motivated attack http://www.cheatsheet.com/automobiles/10-of-

historys-most-infamous-automotive-scandals.html/?a=viewallon the stock.

• Agree Agree x 1
                • MelindaV

☰ > 3
                  Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
                  Vancouver, WA
                  Country
                  The internet is quite a thing... Looking to see who the owner is and if that points to any motive for defamation, came across a local message board for his town. His name came up multiple times painting a picture of someone not well liked from a few years ago. He is also a second generation owner of a local catering business that sold a $20M/annual ice cream company in the 90s. Maybe the local kids don't like him because he is sitting in piles of cash in a small town with the median household income below $25k.
                  Overall, likely the real source of this entire issue came from Edward Niedermeyer latching onto his story and trying to do as much damage as possible. If you look at what he covers as an 'auto analyst', you would think 75% of the cars produced today were coming from Tesla. It seems to be his sole purpose to jab at them and point out every slight imperfection and inflate it to the point of massive catastrophe.

• Agree Agree x 1
                  • TitanG

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
                    BC
                    Yeah, I guess people really don't like to see change, especially if it costs them money or they think it will. At least the general public and Tesla owners at large still love the company, as evidenced by the 380k+ Model 3 orders and 97-98% overall satisfaction among current Tesla owners.

On a side note, I still find it funny that one reason the LAPD decided against using Teslas and for BMW's as patrol cars was because in a power outage they wouldn't be able to charge them. I guess there isn't enough sun for solar panels to work in Southern California...... (Not to mention all other methods of renewable/backup energy.)

But who am I to judge; if I was a criminal I'd be much more frightened seeing a BMW i3 in my mirror than an S P90D.

• Agree Agree x 1
                    • TrevP

Staff Member Founder
                      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
                      Aurora,Ontario
                      Country
                      Nothing against TMC but I used to frequent it a LOT but the hate and animosity even spreads over there. I read a bit of that thread and it reminded me a lot of why I gave up TMC and started this site. The goal here is to provide a place for new Tesla enthusiasts who are Model 3 reservation holders to talk about the car, the future of EVs etc. without the rampant bickering that is found over there. I'm not delusional that we won't have our share of pettiness here at times but it's my hope we can converse in a civil manner. I fear TMC has become so big that it's too easy to get lost in the forest and forget about the trees :)

• Love it! Love it! x 2
                      • Like Like x 1
                      • Agree Agree x 1
                      • AEDennis

Top-Contributor
                        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
                        Southern California, Most of the time...
                        Country
                        There is room for all Tesla folks... I know of many very friendly and knowledgeable folks at TMC.

However, the heavy handed nature of moderation at TMC is tough to bear and there have been numerous reasonable folks that have been banned from time to time and I know of many that have left because of that.

It's the Internet folks, and it's entirely too easy to act uncivil. Let's keep it civil and fair.

• Agree Agree x 2
                        • Like Like x 1
                        • Skione65

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
                          Kentucky
                          Country
                          Let me state as well I have nothing against TMC....I'm a member there and still frequent the site gleaning as much as I can about EV's, Tesla and the Model 3 in general. I don't let the craziness deter me from gaining the information I desire. Tough to weed through the chaff sometimes though.

Ski

• Agree Agree x 1
                          • AEDennis

Top-Contributor
                            Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
                            Southern California, Most of the time...
                            Country
                            Not to stray too far off subject, I use the follow feature as well to see what people whose opinions and posts I've grown to appreciate write on the site... Not perfect, but another way to get quality posts in my time spent on site.

On a new site, like this one, I tend to read as much of the site as I can first. The volume over there forces me to be more selective.

• Like Like x 1
                            • Informative Informative x 1