1. Model 3 is coming. Get your Model 3 Owners Club apparel today!

Dismiss Notice

Model X Awarded 5 star safety rating

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TrevP, Jun 13, 2017.

1. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Founder M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    #1 TrevP, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    From Tesla press release :

Today, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration announced its safety rating for Model X. You can find our blog post on the news here and below.

Tesla Model X the First SUV Ever to Achieve 5-Star Crash Rating in Every Category

We engineered Model X to be the safest SUV ever, and today, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) announced that after conducting independent testing, it has awarded Model X a 5-star safety rating in every category and sub-category, making it the first SUV ever to earn the 5-star rating across the board. More than just resulting in a 5-star rating, the data from NHTSA’s testing shows that Model X has the lowest probability of injury of any SUV it has ever tested. In fact, of all the cars NHTSA has ever tested, Model X’s overall probability of injury was second only to Model S.

Model X performs so much better in a crash than gas-powered SUVs because of its all-electric architecture and powertrain design. The rigid, fortified battery pack that powers Model X is mounted beneath the floor of the vehicle creating a center of gravity so low that Model X has the lowest rollover probability of any SUV on the road. No other SUV has ever come close to meeting and exceeding this rollover requirement.

NHTSA’s tests assess both the structure of the vehicle, which must minimize intrusion into the cabin and absorb as much energy as possible, and also the seatbelt and airbag restraint system, which must maximize injury mitigation in the event of a crash. Among the nine subcategories rated by NHTSA, including frontal impact, side impact, and pole impact tests conducted on both the driver and passenger side as well as the rollover test, Model X achieved 5-stars in every category and sub-category. That means that in the event of a serious crash, Model X occupants have an overall 93% probability of walking away without a serious injury – a testament to our commitment to building the safest cars on today’s roads.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. garsh

Dis Member
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    Copying my reply to the Electrek article over to here.

I was surprised that the front passenger gets thrown so far forward in the frontal crash. I thought the seatbelts were supposed to tighten up during a frontal impact to prevent that.

During the pole test, I was disappointed in the behavior of the falcon wing doors. The doors on both sides appeared to become unlatched, even though the impact occurred on the driver's door. It's a neat idea, but seems to be only 90% developed. Plus, a sliding side door accomplishes the main goals (power opening in tight spaces), and is much simpler and better developed at this point.

3. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    The trunk latch did the same on the front impact. I think it's what any car does under that type of stress. The entire body gets wrenched and the latches are bound to pop out of alignment.

Thought the seat belts would stop sooner, but wonder with current belts and airbags working together if this amount of ease actually is easier on the body than the abrupt stop by the seat belt.
    Also, noticed the center screen continued working in all crashes (that there was an interior view showing it).

• Like Like x 1
  4. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    Yeah, you're probably right.
    Found a video of a Honda Odyssey undergoing the pole impact test. The sliding door doesn't fare much better. But the rear hatch stayed latched.

5. KennethK

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Michigan
    Country
    Seat belts have a load limiter that bends torsionally to decrease the force applied to the body. Still allows a lot of motion but at a reduced force.

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. Dangermouse

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Raleigh, NC
    I was surprised that the front passenger gets thrown so far forward in the frontal crash. I thought the seatbelts were supposed to tighten up during a frontal impact to prevent that.[/QUOTE]

I would much rather my body decelerate from 35 to 0 over maybe 24" versus 12" or less. Lots of G's.

7. SSonnentag

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Peeples Valley, Arizona, USA
    Country
    Impressive! Allowing some passenger motion forward is a good thing as it lowers the G forces on the passengers. The windshield didn't even break!

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    The windshield did crack/break a bit at the bottom, and deformed across the bottom half.

9. skygraff

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Chicago IL
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I wasn't shocked by the forward motion but was surprised by the vertical rise before rebound impact with the seat. Must be designed for best survivability and injury reduction but looks worse than I'd expected.

On a side note, tried looking this up but no luck, does anybody know if they (or Tesla) test various items in the frunk during front impact? Has that ever been a factor in other vehicles with front storage (rear/mid engine)? I could imagine the crumple zone being either enhanced or compromised depending on what's loading in there.