1. Model 3 is coming. Get your Model 3 Owners Club apparel today!

Dismiss Notice

Model X crashes thru garage

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MelindaV, Dec 30, 2016.

1. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    #1 MelindaV, Dec 30, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    Another Model X owner claiming his vehicle, by it's own volition, crashed thru his garage and into the living room. As noted by the lawsuit his lawyer has filed naming product liability, negligence and breach of warranty.
    Tesla has already responded with the proof from the data logs that the accelerator was pressed 100% and the vehicle acted as it was directed by the driver controlling it.

http://www.teslarati.com/model-x-owner-sues-tesla-claims-parked-vehicle-accelerated/

"The vehicle spontaneously began to accelerate at full power, jerking forward and crashing through the interior wall of the garage, destroying several wooden support beams in the wall and a steel sewer pipe, among other things, and coming to rest in Plaintiffs' living room"
    Maybe just the architect in me being petty, but shouldn't someone drafting lawsuits related to houses know beams are horizontal and likely what was hit were wood studs AND sewer pipes are not steel but cast iron (or PVC)?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Founder M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    This seems to be happening a bit more than I would expect. I'm sure there's not a problem with the pedal placement but stomping on the accelerator when you mean the brake pedal strikes me as "strange".

I'm sure Tesla is looking at these events closely and most likely conjuring up some kind of solution where they can use the radar to detect walls etc and prevent sudden acceleration.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jaspal

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Turlock, California
    Country
    #3 Jaspal, Jan 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    This guy is a Korean Celebrity. He most likely did all this for the fame. He threatened Tesla by saying that he will use his "fame" to boycott Teslas if they don't accept that the Model X accelerated on its own and pay him money for the damages.

4. Jaspal

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Turlock, California
    Country
    In summary the man stomped on the accelerator, crashes into his living room and then the car quipped "You have arrived at your destination" ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. chopr147

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    New York
    Country
    I can see this happening to an unfamiliar driver. The Tesla is so quiet with no engine running, In "drive" but on "hold" it can seem "off" Sorry for the overuse of quotation marks :)
    Between that and the instant acceleration , once moving there is no stopping it in time. This of course is not Tesla specific and has happened for as long as the motor vehicle was made.
    I highly doubt the X accelerated on it's own. Son, you screwed up!:eek:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Jaspal

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Turlock, California
    Country
    #6 Jaspal, Jan 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    Well the thing is I understand where the other side of the argument is coming from. They say that faulty pedals and little testing is the cause of this. And to back that it has happened multiple times in 2016 already as reported by owners.

I found this on an article and I was wondering how would a Tesla engineer respond to this?

"Tesla 101: the manufacturer is ALWAYS right!

This is not just S.Korea its a global problem, like the Toyotas a few yrs back with auto acceleration and major car companies not willing to admit fault for poor design.

Boycott Teslas, or wait for your own accident."

This guy's call to action was to boycott Tesla. Are you serious lmao?
    Here is another argument. Since I have no clue about aviation and aerospace. Can someone further on this?

"this is a very common thing in automation systems. I have seen it many times in guidance and navigation systems i worked on for aircraft and spacecraft for over 30 years designing.. it is a very simple root cause failure, that I bet Tesla has not implemented a safety feature to prevent. This type of malfunction comes from whats called a bit sign failure, that causes the one of the parameters, used to control the guidance system, to be inverted in value. Either distance, speed, etc was bit sign inverted. As a result the CPU sends commands that are exactly opposite of what it should send. The cpu thinks the distance is decreasing, and it is really increasing, or visa versa. This type of failure can be transient too. It does not have to have been a hard bit failure. After decades of research finding these type problems in aerospace and space. There was created a safety feature to detect a bit sign failure and shut the system down. I will bet the car does not have such a feature as robust as it should be."

o_O

7. pjfw8

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Hendersonville NC
    As a retired trial court judge I was amazed that many intelligent adults could not accept fault in spite of clear proof of their responsibility. One guy denied the authenticity of a photo he introduced into evidence (and personally took) when he later discovered it was incriminating. It is always someone else's fault!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  8. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I think part of the reason this happens with Teslas is people get used to controlling the car with just the accelerator peddle and can come to a stop without touching the brake... then when mistakenly pulling into a parking space (or garage) a little too fast and not coming to a stop as quickly as they expected they step on the peddle - just the wrong one.

Being a 5-speed driver, when borrowing a car or in a rental, I've often came to a sudden stop when intending to push the non-existent clutch in and stepped on the brake instead... So dumb things happen, but I've never thought that was anyone's fault but my own

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. MichelT3

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Steenderen, Netherlands
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    One of the big problems of current western society. It's full of spoiled children, including too many politicians.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  10. chopr147

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    New York
    Country
    I believe the lawsuit states the X accelerated itself thru his living room. I don't believe he is blaming a poor design, ie......pedal location

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. garsh

Dis Member
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    It's... not so clear to me. The lawsuit seems to allow for a possible "accelerator pedal mis-application" too, and argues that Tesla should prevent that from causing the vehicle to accelerate into a wall. Here, read this (I've added the bolding):
    I think it would be wonderful if Tesla does provide a software update to prevent accelerating into a wall. But this lawsuit is just stupid.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1