1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

Model Y fence-sitter considering a Model S CPO as a holdover.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 11thIndian, May 9, 2017.

More threads by 11thIndian
  1. 11thIndian

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Hamilton, Ontario
    Country
    Hey everyone.

After last week's news that Model Y will be going into production no earlier than late 2019, and more likely 2020- I'm starting to consider an interim option since I'm doubtful that my 2004 Forester is going to make it to when I can reasonably expect to take delivery of a Model Y here in Canada. (Thinking late 2020 at the earliest).

So I've started to consider several holdover options, from ICE cars like a Tiguan, to currently available Electric options like the KIA Soul or eGolf, as range-constricted as they are.

At the most ambitious end of my thinking is a CPO Model S. I've been keeping my eye on the PreOwned page of Tesla's site for a while, and within the last month I've started to see more cars showing up in the mid $60Ks (again, Canadian prices).

So I guess the question is what are people's experiences with CPO Financing, the word "Lease" actually appears on the page but I'm guessing you can't lease a used Tesla.

I'm definitely planning to reserve and move to a Model Y when I can, so ideally I'm hoping to get into this car for about 3 years. After that, I'm wondering what my exit strategy will be? Will a Model S continue to hold it's value? Will Tesla still be buying back older cars with the 45-60K additional mileage I'll likely put on it between now and 2020?

Thoughts welcome! Thanks!

• Like Like x 2
    • JBsC6

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Northern NJ
      Country
      Traditionally cars loose about 50 percent of the value over a five year period if sold privately.

After the fifth year depreciation curtails as long as the miles are not piling on too much.

Financing after 100k miles is really not an option...

I would suggest an app called brzo ...it's a 99 cent app that allows you to search any area of the country or all of it if you like for one specific vehicle...and it updates itself daily...

Why do you have to buy a tesla fro the dealer? Although I'd imagine the financing is easier through the dealer network and sixty grand cash laying around is a pain...you could apply for an auto loan at your credit union and shop outside the tesla dealer network...I'd imagine there is money to be saved by doing so?

Lots of fun...

I'd say fix your suby with whatever breaks as the smart play depending on what you think it might need.

Next up? I'd look at subsidized lease deals from a company like www.legendleasing.com just search by price per month you want to pay..

All leases are basically $600 bank fee and tons of vehicle for 180 a month...cuv s are a an extra hundred.

Right now the best cuv deal is the Infiniti qx30 for 600 bank fee 299 a month for 36 months...I think the mileage is 10k a year but you can add more.

The qx30 is a shared platform with Mercedes and it's little
      Cuv

Just stay with the options in their value pack....pick your color and they will deliver the car to your door in a day or so after calling.

Great service and a ton of my friends and family have used this righteous service...

• MichelT3

Top-Contributor
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Steenderen, Netherlands
      Country
      :D

Why wouldn't you be able to keep you Forrester on the road till 2020? I currently drive a 1988 car with 475,000 km (diesel). I could run into a costly repair, but even that is cheaper than buying another, plus it won't fall apart for a while yet.

• Love it! Love it! x 1
      • 11thIndian

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Hamilton, Ontario
        Country
        I could definitely keep it going. But the money I'm spending is getting close to the cost of a lease.

I think I've decided what I'm going to do. A Model S is just going to be too much at this point. But I think I've decided on leasing a A3 eTron. While the 30km pure EV driving is comparatively low, it actually covers all my city commuting, which is 2/3rd of my monthly mileage.

Then at the end of the 4 years, we can let it go or more likely my wife will take it over when I get my Model Y.

• Michael Russo

Top-Contributor
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Belgium now, SW France when my Model ≡ gets here
        Country
        Don't you guys have the BMW 225xe in Canada? That could be another one to look at if a PHEV is an acceptable option...

• TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
        Staff Member Founder
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Aurora,Ontario
        Country
        Nope. Only the i3 and i8 are available here.

• Michael Russo

Top-Contributor
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Belgium now, SW France when my Model ≡ gets here
        Country
        Beemer...! :confused: I meant, bummer! :D

• Safe Daddy Driver

Well-Known SDD
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Jersey
        Country
        I test drove the A3 etron and was not impressed at all by the driving dynamics. Plus it's too expensive! Mind you, I used to own a 2009 A3 Quattro, which I loved until it became too costly to repair.

There are so many inexpensive lease options out there. The new Honda Accord, for example, is a good deal and looks amazing. I would consider it myself if not for my gently used Ford Focus Electric + short daily commute.

Lease Deals:
        $239 per month for 36 months with $2,699 due at signing on Accord Hybrid. (Expires: 07/05/17)

$199 per month for 36 months with $2,399 due at signing on Accord Coupe. (Expires: 07/05/17)

$189 per month for 36 months with $1,999 due at signing on Accord Sedan. (Expires: 07/05/17)

• 11thIndian

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Hamilton, Ontario
        Country
        #9 11thIndian, May 14, 2017
        Last edited: May 14, 2017
        Thanks for the comments SDD- they came just as I was sitting at the Audi dealer's desk! But at that point I'd already made my decision.

The accords while looking cheap on your side of the boarder I don't think are as good a deals up here. And they would not have met any of our short term needs, and the Accord Hybrid isn't plug-in, so no pure EV range and no Ontario discount. The A3 etron gets $8000 off the MSRP here in Ontario. Bringing it not as far out of line with the Accord hybrid as you'd think.

So just to close out this thread. I did end up doing a 4 year lease on an A3 etron. I looked seriously at my driving habits and was surprised that so much of my monthly driving could be covered with the 30-40km range. Basically all my greater Hamilton daily city commuting/chores; about 3/4 of my driving will be able to be handled exclusively on the EV motor. And for my occasional longer drives the Hybrid mode gets great gas mileage. I think overall my gas expenditures will be 1/4 of what they are now.

It has the right balance of sport an ultitlity not unlike a Subaru Impreza- which while not a perfect replacement for a Forester is a compromise I can live with for a few years (I'll throw a box on the roof to augment the storage space loss)

The 4 years lease is no accident- by then it will be mid 2021, which is a good estimate of when Model Y's will be shipping to Canada assuming the 2020 production start. My wife likes the car too, so in 4 years we can either let it go or this can replace her ICE Golf and I move to a full electric.

Don't hate me! But this was the right compromise for me to get into EV/Hybrid. And its a way more fun car to drive than my 2004 Forester, which didn't even have a mini aux in port. I was living in the dark ages!

• Like Like x 2
        • Safe Daddy Driver

Well-Known SDD
          Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          Jersey
          Country
          First of all I don't hate you at all! $8,000 off, well that's a different story. Yeah, I still wouldn't buy it for that price but if someone gave me the A3 eTron I'd still gladly accept it. I still dream about my A3 from time to time when it wasn't giving me any problems. Enjoy the car!

• Like Like x 2
          • 11thIndian

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
            Hamilton, Ontario
            Country
            Thanks! First Audi, though my father in law was a big fan. So hopefully it won't have the reliability problems you experienced. Part of this deal was $1300 of Audi service, basically covering any standard service like oil changes and the like for the duration of my lease.

Model Y is still my goal, but it's likely 4 years away at this point- so this should be fun in the interim. Maybe having an EV will reduce the stress on my marriage from me not being able to shut up about buying one. :)

There seems to be a healthy community of owners looking to squeeze all the green goodness they can out of it's range. Should be fun.

• Like Like x 2