1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

Model Year Updates?

Discussion in 'Design' started by Dan Detweiler, Jun 7, 2016.

More threads by Dan Detweiler
  1. Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Canton, Georgia
    Country
    Question for the Roadster/Model S/Model X owners out there. I know that the new Model S just got a facelift to it's nose but has there been a history of non-OTA updates from year to year? The reason I am asking is that I was wondering what the chances are that people later in the reservation list that may not see their cars until 2019 or later will see a different car than those with early reservations.

I know Elon has talked about the tabling of any further technological updates to the Model 3 for later versions in his "pencils down in 6 weeks" speech.

Any thoughts?

Dan

2. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Country
    I believe tesla does design updates not specifically per model year, but when they are ready. So a 2018 Model ☰'s could potentially have multiple iterations. or just a single design from 2017-2019. (I also think most all of the current reservations will see their car by the end of 2018 or close to it - later than 2019 I would think would be the absolutely worst case scenario).

3. Topher

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Maine
    Country
    #3 Topher, Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
    Elon has said that they make about 20 changes per week, to the existing models. I'm pretty sure no one notices. I would expect that number to start higher on the ≡,but eventually drop lower as the cost of making such changes will be greater.

On the other hand, 'pencils down' isn't like an exam, they aren't stopping all changes. If something doesn't work, of course they will change it. What they want to avoid is systemic changes which affect a lot of custom parts, that gets expensive and slowing in a hurry.

Thank you kindly.

4. chopr147

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    New York
    Country
    20 changes per week probably includes updates like we get on our cell phone. But that's one of the things I love about Tesla. AP gets updated and my car has the same update as a new purchase. :)
    One other thing. How do you type the Model 3 symbol ? I can't figure it out! :)

5. Topher

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Maine
    Country
    I seem to recall he was talking about physical changes made on the assembly line.

≡ can be copied from others, or taken from the character map or alt+240 on numpad (for Windows).

Thank you kindly.

6. teslaliving

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Boston
    Country
    Theres an advantage to waiting on buying anything technical -- you get more for your money. My car was built and delivered in April 2014. They started putting AP hardware on all cars in September 2014 (but AP software wasnt announced/ready until later). So I missed the "AP Window" by 5 months but there was no way to know that in advance.

No hard feelings on my side as thats the nature of purchases and technology but sure would have loved to have had made that cut.

Anyway know what you're buying when you buy it and dont expect more than what you get on day 1. With Tesla you do often get more thanks to software updates but make sure you're not expecting any more than you take delivery of, that way you'll be a happy owner.

7. chopr147

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    New York
    Country
    :)

True teslaliving, don't expect more than you are buying. I get that but the "possibility" not "expectation" of future improvements is enticing. But I suspect I will be a happy owner

8. Mark C

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Arab, AL
    Country
    My happiness will be to get a great looking, energy efficient & reliable vehicle. I've only recently allowed myself to consider spending in the $40k neighborhood on a car. I expect it to last a long time. I want it to be my 25 year old classic car someday, or maybe my daughters. I ain't gettin no younger......

• Agree Agree x 1