1. Model 3 is coming. Get your Model 3 Owners Club apparel today!

Dismiss Notice

Monetizing your accessible outlets

Discussion in 'Charging and Infrastructure' started by Matthew Morgan, May 6, 2017.

More threads by Matthew Morgan
  1. Matthew Morgan

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Tesla Owner:
    No
    Country
    With all the existing electrical infrastructure at individual houses and businesses, I think there needs to be a cheaper, less intrusive way for the homeowners and business owners to offer vehicle charging using their existing 240 volt outlets.

Existing EVSE manufacturers such as ChargePoint and Blink are great but they aren't open source to my knowledge. Granted, you can lease their equipment and set your own rate but that transaction only happens on their apps or dongles.

Well anyways, I created some prototypes that are currently in beta testing

Version 0.5 is a simple mechanical timer. Ebay Link :)

IMG_0445.JPG IMG_0447.JPG

Version 1 is a little smarter. It uses Z-wave and various relays/components to energize the circuit. Use of a Z-wave device requires a hub such as SmartThings or Wink. Version 1 could also be easily changed to WiFi control.

IMG_0206.JPG IMG_0206.JPG

With the system off, it uses 0.5 watts for standby power, with the system on, it uses about 10 watts but when you're charging your car at 10 kW that equates to 0.1% "loss". This system is rated at 50 amps. (the limitation of the 240 volt relay... and the NEMA 14-50 plug).
    - This system would be easily mounted on existing NEMA 14-50 outlets and could supply another NEMA 14-50 outlet or supply an Level 2 charging station such as Juicebox.

Version 2 will have cellular connectivity. I have all the necessary hardware but it looks a little complicated so that might take some time.

Attached Files: