My 3D printed wall charger holder

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 17th all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
  • Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I printed up this freely downloadable 3D printable tesla wall charger holder to hold the Tesla Mobile charger plug.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1239550/

View attachment 6059
And yeah, the sheetrock has seen better days... it's on my list of things to fix one of these days.

So you can buy these sorts of things for $25 on Amazon, but there's something cool about making it yourself. I'm pleased with how it looks and how it works and it fit the spot on my wall perfectly and the Amazon ones were going to be too big. I am using the Tesla Mobile charger that came with my Model 3 and I have the NEMA 14-50 installed in the ceiling and then I have the cable hanging down.

My local public library printed it for $6. Note that it needs to be scaled to 107% or so because the author made it slightly too small. So if you print it yourself then scale it up by 107% before slicing it, or if you are paying someone else to make it make sure to tell them.
Can anyone give me the longest measurement for this holder? I'm thinking of buying a 3D printer and some of the "mini" ones seem to have a really small printbed. I like the new Monoprice Delta because it's super cheap and has auto calibration but it only does up to 4.3".

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

zkmusa

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
What material is usually used for 3D printing these? PLA? ABS?

I'm a total beginner to the 3D printing world, so just trying to understand it all!

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country

I'm a total beginner to the 3D printing world, so just trying to understand it all!
I'm a total beginner also but printers are getting super cheap. The printer that @garsh listed before is a good starting printer but the MP Delta Mini is faster, has better resolution and has platform auto calibration. As long as the slightly smaller platform is still usable, I'll probably get that one instead.

Most of these will be printed in PLA. Some printers like XYZ only use their own brand-specific PLA which is more expensive. Many other brands like MP accept generic spools and can also use ABS which is stronger but may have an odor when being printed.

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Those are the most popular, yes. TPU too, if you want something more flexible & rubbery. I believe most printers are capable of using any of these materials - you just need to adjust the temperatures used for printing them.

This seems like a nice guide to the different types:
http://filamentguide.net/

Travelwolf

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Can anyone give me the longest measurement for this holder? I'm thinking of buying a 3D printer and some of the "mini" ones seem to have a really small printbed. I like the new Monoprice Delta because it's super cheap and has auto calibration but it only does up to 4.3".
I can measure mine when I get home, but 4.3 seems like it would be cutting it very close and may not be big enough. I want to say it is 5-6 inches top to bottom, 2-3ish inches wide, and then 4ish inches deep when mounted. I won't be home until late tonight but will make a reminder on my phone to check it for you.

Travelwolf

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
incidentally, when I had mine printed in the white plastic, I had to sand it to make it smooth, then painted it to seal it. The plastic soaks up the paint, so I spray painted it with a white primer to seal it, then used acrylic red paint for the tesla log. You can also (I believe) set it up to make the tesla logo layers a different color of plastic so you wouldnt have to paint it at all unless you wanted to seal it, but the teacher who did it for me was using leftover supplies and did it for free so I didn't even ask for him to try doing it that way- I was just thankful he was
a) willing to do it and b) doing it for free. :) Really I think he just loves playing with his 3d printer and it was an excuse to use it. lol

PatrickM

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

So, usually people prefer whatever they start with. So if someone starts printing with PLA, they will tell you PLA is the best, and if someone first started using ABS as their first plastic, they will tell you ABS. PLA is usually made from vegetable starches (like potatoes) and it smells ok while it's printing. It doesn't hold up well under UV light (ie. the sun) and absorbs water and so it's not great outside, but works fine for something around the house or within the car. ABS is much more durable but, to me, smells much worse, and - because I started with PLA - I think it's much harder to print with due to bed adhesion issues. But, basically the two plastics are approximately equivalent. They each take a bit of time to learn the quirks of each.

There's also TPU - which is flexible and rubbery - and PETG, which is like PLA but it holds up better outside.

Some advice that I will give about 3D printing is that you should understand that the printers involve a fair bit of trial and error at this point and buying one is a bit like getting a new hobby. They are not really hard, but there's a bit of ramp of new info. I recommend the cheaper printers at Monoprice - they function well enough - but I would always recommend that people buy a heated bed, and get a bed that is a bit bigger than what you think you will need. So don't get the cheapest - a heated bed is really really useful, and ideally a auto-levelling bed also makes things a lot simpler.

Last edited:

Travelwolf

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Brokedoc

I finally remembered to go measure the holder, I got home a few hours later than I expected to Friday so my alarm had already gone off & I was so tired I forgot about it. The dimensions are 2" front to back, 2" across, and 5" bottom to top. The 4.3" bed will be too small for this because of how it sits on the bed as it is built. It sits on its "back" so the piece will be 2 wide by 2 tall and 5 long as it is built.

tracksyde

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm a total beginner also but printers are getting super cheap. The printer that @garsh listed before is a good starting printer but the MP Delta Mini is faster, has better resolution and has platform auto calibration. As long as the slightly smaller platform is still usable, I'll probably get that one instead..
Just to add to what Travelwolf has already said.. I did print this design out on a Monoprice Mini Select v2, but I had to rotate the design 45 degrees because that's the only way it would fit on the build plate. If I did my math right, its 6.6" corner to corner (based on a 4.7x4.7 build area).

Here's what it looks like on the build plate in Cura:

upload_2018-3-14_11-48-56.png

Leveling the bed is kind of a pain versus a printer with auto-leveling, but in reality, it probably takes me about 2 minutes to level the small bed on the MPSM.

Oh, one last thing.. it took about 9 hours to complete the print.. I think my layer height was 0.175mm.. and yes, this is the 108% version

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Patrick M you are right!

To everyone everyone else, I would do some research before buying a printer. All printers are not created equal nor can they print any material, at least without not modifications. ABS needs a heated bed. PETG often need an all metal hotend. TPU generally needs a special extruder. So on and so forth. Make Magazine does a good job reviewing and evaluating printers.

I have been printing for few years and print parts on the side for small business, trial and error is key! (And patience!)

On a side note Lulzbot makes great printers and has good customer service.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I have been busy playing with my new 3D printer and my daughter picked purple as the first color filament. I didn't want my holder to be purple so I waited until I finally used up that first spool. Here it is. The yellow is semi transparent so the infill pattern shows through. I'm a little worried that it may not be strong enough so if it breaks, I may reprint it with more infill.

FYI - Tesla doesn't have their cable organizer on their site right now and some guy is selling them on Amazon for $75! What a ripoff. 15257885997164617480106849833222.jpg

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have been busy playing with my new 3D printer and my daughter picked purple as the first color filament. I didn't want my holder to be purple so I waited until I finally used up that first spool. Here it is. The yellow is semi transparent so the infill pattern shows through. I'm a little worried that it may not be strong enough so if it breaks, I may reprint it with more infill.

FYI - Tesla doesn't have their cable organizer on their site right now and some guy is selling them on Amazon for $75! What a ripoff. View attachment 8355
Should I remove mine and sell for profit? ;)

Travelwolf

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am using mine now and it is perfect, I used the pattern that had been scaled up to 108%. It hold the end and I am able to coil the cable around it 3-4 times no problem. very handy! Mine was printed for me by a friend at school so it was free :)

Travelwolf

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Should I remove mine and sell for profit? ;)
actually there are a lot of people out there with no access to a 3D printer that might be willing to pay for someone to make them one and mail it out to them. Maybe not $75, but a person could do this legitimately and make some $ while helping others out.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
FYI - Tesla doesn't have their cable organizer on their site right now and some guy is selling them on Amazon
same guy is selling the $30 water bottles for $54... I guess if people are dumb enough to overpay for something they could otherwise get at the retail price, more power to him

Brett

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
actually there are a lot of people out there with no access to a 3D printer that might be willing to pay for someone to make them one and mail it out to them. Maybe not $75, but a person could do this legitimately and make some $ while helping others out.
There are already a bunch available on Etsy. I bought the 3rd one a long time ago cause I still can't justify getting a 3D printer for myself.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/581654...ery&ga_search_query=tesla&ref=sr_gallery-1-18

https://www.etsy.com/listing/556072...lery&ga_search_query=tesla&ref=sr_gallery-1-4

https://www.etsy.com/listing/463578046/tesla-cord-wrangler-kit-free-us-shipping