My Model 3 (Lowered + Wheels + Painted Brakes)

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 31st all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
  • Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hey guys,

Just wanted to share some pics of my Model 3. The wheels are Custom 3 Piece Wheels made by SSR (Speed Star Racing) in Japan that I just had powdercoated Winter Silver. I'm running 20x9 in the front and 20x10.5 in the rear. Tires are Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 245/35 on the front and 285/30 in the rear. The car is lowered on Unplugged Performance Springs. I Just had the brake calipers painted and still waiting for more parts. Hope you guys enjoy! I'll have some better pics soon.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I see you're in Miami. If you don't mind me asking, where did you have the calipers done and what did that run? Thanks in advance and the car looks great! You should definitely bring it out to our next get together!

PandaM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
D8F9D0F6-7802-4BC8-B40A-3A994B2FF2E0.jpeg JDM looks so good on the Model3

What offset are the wheels?

Also did the wheel bolt holes need to get widened?

Been eyeing the SSR Professors, SSR Aero Mesh, SSR Reiner type6, and SSR Formula Mesh.

Too bad the Aero Mesh doesn’t come with a detacheable Aero disc like in this renderning which they did come with back in the 80’s.

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
did you use spray paint or brush on for the calipers?
They were spray painted but with a spray gun not a rattle can. We had to lay down a bunch of layers to get the color right. Color is Corvette Racing Yellow and afterwards PPG Clear Coat was added.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I see you're in Miami. If you don't mind me asking, where did you have the calipers done and what did that run? Thanks in advance and the car looks great! You should definitely bring it out to our next get together!
I had the Calipers painted by GWT Motoring and they charged me $500. I did have other work being done at the same time so that may affect my price. I saw there was a get together recently right? Thanks and I'd def be down to come to the next get together.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
View attachment 15045 JDM looks so good on the Model3

What offset are the wheels?

Also did the wheel bolt holes need to get widened?

Been eyeing the SSR Professors, SSR Aero Mesh, SSR Reiner type6, and SSR Formula Mesh.

Too bad the Aero Mesh doesn’t come with a detacheable Aero disc like in this renderning which they did come with back in the 80’s.
The Model 3 has a 5x114.5 bolt pattern like most JDM wheels so there was no need to make any modifications to the wheels.

No rubbing what so ever. Personally I like my fitment to be as flush as possible so I'll most likely run a 5mm spacer up front and see if camber arms will bring my rears closer to the fenders.

I've been driving Japanese cars since I was first able to drive and the Classic JDM look has always been my taste. Personally I love when something new and something old/classic come together, it brings a distinctive look. :)

PandaM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The Model 3 has a 5x114.5 bolt pattern like most JDM wheels so there was no need to make any modifications to the wheels.

No rubbing what so ever. Personally I like my fitment to be as flush as possible so I'll most likely run a 5mm spacer up front and see if camber arms will bring my rears closer to the fenders.

I've been driving Japanese cars since I was first able to drive and the Classic JDM look has always been my taste. Personally I love when something new and something old/classic come together, it brings a distinctive look. :)
Meant to say some JDM wheels have a narrower nut hole than 14mm. When I was looking up some Volk Racing fitments it meant that some of them had to have the not holes widened. So that’s good I don’t have to worry about that with the SSR wheels.

I always like seeing JDM wheels on non JDM cars and the SSR Professor SP1 has always been a favorite of mine. I’ve got Volk Racing G25’s on my BMW M3, but eventually I want to swap those out for Volk TE37 SL’s.

Glad to see a Model3 with JDM wheels... stepped lip too which I think looks great!!! So far only you and the Mountain Pass Performance Model3 with JDM wheels.

BTW how much is your total range affected?

babula

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Love it. I also wanted my calipers painted yellow, you got a great price on it - hopefully I can find a similar price in NY.

PandaM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
yes about a 20-25% loss is very accurate. My watts per hour mile is almost always around 300
Is your 300wh/mi with regular driving? Or are you trying to hypermile? (AC off, chill mode, keeping speeds at 65 or under?) I have the 19 inch sport wheels and I can gety as low as 197 Wh/mi on my daily commute if I hypermile. Otherwise with AC on auto and speeds up to 95+ mph I’m averaging 250 to 280 Wh/mi.

Also another factor is that Vossen’s are typcially cast or flow formed... so heavier than the SSR’s and heavier than OEM.

My theory is that getting SSR’s in a narrow 9 inch or 8.5 inch width, however square with aggressive +25 to +20 offsets will give the car a flush look while keeping Wh/mi somewhat efficient. I’ll see if that pans out once I get my 15/ 20mm spacers installed on my oe wheels.

MountainPass

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
yes about a 20-25% loss is very accurate. My watts per hour mile is almost always around 300
We also experienced a big loss in range, inflating the tires to 50psi helped a lot!

We just got 2 more RGIII's in 10" to use on the front, dropping them off at the machine shop tomorrow to have the holes opened up for M14.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Meant to say some JDM wheels have a narrower nut hole than 14mm. When I was looking up some Volk Racing fitments it meant that some of them had to have the not holes widened. So that’s good I don’t have to worry about that with the SSR wheels.

I always like seeing JDM wheels on non JDM cars and the SSR Professor SP1 has always been a favorite of mine. I’ve got Volk Racing G25’s on my BMW M3, but eventually I want to swap those out for Volk TE37 SL’s.

Glad to see a Model3 with JDM wheels... stepped lip too which I think looks great!!! So far only you and the Mountain Pass Performance Model3 with JDM wheels.

BTW how much is your total range affected?
Now that makes more sense, I thought you meant if the bolt pattern had to be widened. So far I've never ran into that problem with any SSR wheels having narrow lug nut holes. G25s wouldn't be a bad choice for the Model 3 :)

As for range loss, I would say depending on driving style and Highway vs City, it can range from 15-20%. Although Vossens may be heavier wheels, you also have to factor how much more contact patch has been added. A square 9" set up would def have the balance of increased traction with a slight decrease in range.

As for the clear coat, it's resistant to temps higher than our brakes should reach. From what I can see, the heat has actually helped cure the clear and it's looking glossier everyday.

Thanks everyone! :D

Allan