My Red P3D White Interior 20" wheels Test Drive today (w/ videos)

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 17th all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
  • Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I test drove the P3D today, with all the bells & whistles (white interior, performance pack 20" wheels, etc.). I believe I was possibly the second person in LA to do so!

The thing is insane, absolutely madness! Acceleration is bonkers, under full power from a standstill or slow speeds it feels like you're about to lose consciousness fighter-pilot style. The 20" wheels were surprisingly compliant, I thought the ride would be very harsh -- not so at all! The test loop is in Century City in LA and the roads, while not the worst by any means, are not great given that there is heavy construction in the area.

I shot a 4K walkaround video, including inside the car with the Premium White Interior and closeups of the wheels, see it here (plz like & sub if you want to see more):

I did a longer video, albeit not in 4K, with some commentary (it includes above walkaround, which was raw footage):

Unfortunately, they did not let me film inside the car at all while we were on our way (not even when the Tesla rep was took it out of the parking lot with me as a passenger). But, all in all it was an amazing experience, and I simply cannot wait to get mine!

Ask me anything and I'll try to answer to the best of my ability!

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Any feedback on how the P3D drove? Was it everything you had hoped for and imagined?
  • "Ferrari fast," absolutely brutal acceleration
  • since this will be my first non-ICE car, it takes some getting used to being shoved that hard without any auditory feedback, it feels strange in the beginning
  • as I said above, I experienced the sensation of beginning to lose consciousness (for a split second) when flooring it from a standstill or from low speed -- I've experienced the same feeling in both S & X P100D models
  • subjectively, seat-of-the-pants wise, I'd say it's ballpark X P100D in feeling; very different beasts, this one being smaller & lighter has a uniquely different feel
  • regen is much stronger (I personally want this because I come from driving manuals and am used to engine braking as part of my regular routine), this is likely due to the permanent magnet in the 3 vs induction on the S/X -- the former's signature is significantly stronger regen
  • the 20s felt very, very well mannered! I expected a very harsh ride, nothing could be further from the truth. I test drove on less than perfect city roads in a construction area and they were totally fine!
  • so much so that I switched my order to include the Perf Upgrade right after the test drive (but have since come to my senses and -- for reasons other than ride quality -- have switched back to Aeros)
  • the accelerator tip in is amazing, I was expecting crazy reaction from such a powerful car. not sure how they did it, but when you're just cruising you wouldn't know the thing has reserves deep enough to take down most Lamborghinis
  • steering is great, very good feel
  • seats are really, really comfortable, and with decent support - and I say that coming from an F30 BMW with the sport seats with power-adjustable side bolsters (read: pretty damn good sport seats)
Anything else, just ask!

Last edited:

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
regen is much stronger (I personally want this because I come from driving manuals and am used to engine braking as part of my regular routine), this is likely due to the permanent magnet in the 3 vs induction on the S/X -- the former's signature is significantly stronger regen
People with First Production Model 3s have reported that regen is significantly weaker in the 3 than in the S/X. Since the rear-wheel-drive 3 uses the same rear motor as the Performance 3, the difference must be due to the front induction motor.

viperd

Country
Country
People with First Production Model 3s have reported that regen is significantly weaker in the 3 than in the S/X. Since the rear-wheel-drive 3 uses the same rear motor as the Performance 3, the difference must be due to the front induction motor.
I am wondering the same. If this is the case, hopefully the Dual Motor will have stronger regen as well.

lowkeyP3D

Country
Country
  • "Ferrari fast," absolutely brutal acceleration
  • since this will be my first non-ICE car, it takes some getting used to being shoved that hard without any auditory feedback, it feels strange in the beginning
  • as I said above, I experienced the sensation of beginning to lose consciousness (for a split second) when flooring it from a standstill or from low speed -- I've experienced the same feeling in both S & X P100D models
  • subjectively, seat-of-the-pants wise, I'd say it's ballpark X P100D in feeling; very different beasts, this one being smaller & lighter has a uniquely different feel
  • regen is much stronger (I personally want this because I come from driving manuals and am used to engine braking as part of my regular routine), this is likely due to the permanent magnet in the 3 vs induction on the S/X -- the former's signature is significantly stronger regen
  • the 20s felt very, very well mannered! I expected a very harsh ride, nothing could be further from the truth. I test drove on less than perfect city roads in a construction area and they were totally fine!
  • so much so that I switched my order to include the Perf Upgrade right after the test drive (but have since come to my senses and -- for reasons other than ride quality -- have switched back to Aeros)
  • the accelerator tip in is amazing, I was expecting crazy reaction from such a powerful car. not sure how they did it, but when you're just cruising you wouldn't know the thing has reserves deep enough to take down most Lamborghinis
  • steering is great, very good feel
  • seats are really, really comfortable, and with decent support - and I say that coming from an F30 BMW with the sport seats with power-adjustable side bolsters (read: pretty damn good sport seats)
Anything else, just ask!
"as I said above, I experienced the sensation of beginning to lose consciousness"
Almost a TLOC < [Tesla-induced Loss of Consciousness]