Navigation re-route?

• Please post everything related to v9 (2018.39.x) into the version 9 MEGATHREAD. Please do your part to keep this site organized for everyone by looking around or doing a search BEFORE posting. Thanks

• Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Jason F

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
According to the Navigation options you should be able to set it to re-route you when it will save you x minutes. I set mine to 10. Not sure if this was a new feature in v9, but I never noticed it before. Has anyone actually seen this work? So far I haven't been re-routed. Does it ask you to confirm?

Ken Voss

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
According to the Navigation options you should be able to set it to re-route you when it will save you x minutes. I set mine to 10. Not sure if this was a new feature in v9, but I never noticed it before. Has anyone actually seen this work? So far I haven't been re-routed. Does it ask you to confirm?
This is not a new feature, it has been there as long as I have had my car (7 months) I have it set for 5 min

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Does the algorithm work based on shortest estimated time from Point A to Point B, or shortest distance, or a combination?

I just started commuting in my new Model 3 yesterday and the navigation wanted to take me home through downtown (basically straight north), rather than on the interstate (out to 3 o'clock on an eastbound interstate, then the ring road interstate around to 12 o'clock - 10 miles longer but almost always faster).

Does Tesla use their own proprietary navigation software, Google Maps, or some other 3rd party?

One of many newbie questions I'll be asking......

Thanks

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I can’t think why to set this at anything other than 1 min? If a better option exists why not take it? My experience is it does a good job of adjusting for changing traffic conditions without running you through all sorts of questionable cut throughs.

ig0p0g0

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I agree, I have mine set to 1 min as well.

I don’t think it does a deep analysis of alternate routes. There’s a decision point in my commute (take 238 or go through Hayward, for those in my region) and based on intuition and experience I will often make a diffierent choice than nav does. Often my time to destination will be, say, 48 minutes before going my own way, and once nav realizes what I’ve done and reroutes, the time will be 45 minutes. This happens on Waze as well. I think the number of possible choices is too much at this point for nav to fully explore. Humans are still better at ignoring the options that make no sense.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm a huge fan of Waze and I think it beats everything else at looking at detailed unusual routes for options, but even Waze rarely reroutes when there are better options. I regularly hit the Routes button in Waze, especially a mile or two before major highway intersections, where it will present three routes, and often will show a quicker route than the one it is on (and I usually switch to map view for a more obvious route comparison). I definitely wish Tesla also offered a multiple-route-choice option.

Country
Country
I have had it reroute me multiple times on the same trip leg. This can be very frustrating because it doesn't give you any notice nor does it give the option to not re-route. Finally, it doesn't tell you why it is re-routing. On the trip from Newport Beach to Riverside CA, there are at least 3 main routes, the most direct is the 55 fwy to the 91 fwy using the HOV & Toll lanes (free to EVs). The second route would be Jamboree Rd which becomes the 261 toll road to the 241 toll road to the 91 fwy and last leg of the 91 toll lanes (the 241 & 261 toll roads are not free to EVs). The third route is the 55 fwy to the 5 fwy to the 57 fwy to the 60 fwy to Riverside exit. Traffic was heavy on the preferred direct route so it wanted to route me to the second route with high tolls which also bottles up where the 241 intersects the 91. When I didn't take the turn off to go to the 261 it then tried to route me via the last route that is much longer. At no time did it show what route it wanted or why. If it had shown me saving significant time taking one of the alternate routes I probably would have done so but just silently changing it doesn't cut it.

Attachments

babula

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have had it reroute me multiple times on the same trip leg. This can be very frustrating because it doesn't give you any notice nor does it give the option to not re-route. Finally, it doesn't tell you why it is re-routing. On the trip from Newport Beach to Riverside CA, there are at least 3 main routes, the most direct is the 55 fwy to the 91 fwy using the HOV & Toll lanes (free to EVs). The second route would be Jamboree Rd which becomes the 261 toll road to the 241 toll road to the 91 fwy and last leg of the 91 toll lanes (the 241 & 261 toll roads are not free to EVs). The third route is the 55 fwy to the 5 fwy to the 57 fwy to the 60 fwy to Riverside exit. Traffic was heavy on the preferred direct route so it wanted to route me to the second route with high tolls which also bottles up where the 241 intersects the 91. When I didn't take the turn off to go to the 261 it then tried to route me via the last route that is much longer. At no time did it show what route it wanted or why. If it had shown me saving significant time taking one of the alternate routes I probably would have done so but just silently changing it doesn't cut it.
It does it automatically based on the time savings setting. I have it set to automatically reroute if savings are greater than 5 minutes.

What you mentioned are great future improvements that could be made, you should suggest that to them.

Country
Country
I tried playing with the time savings setting and went all the way up to an hour (I think) and it still re-routed me. I have driven all three of the routes (two shown) and I can tell you that during rush hour (this was on a Friday afternoon before a 3 day weekend) there is no route faster than the most direct one because traffic is hell on every route.

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm a huge fan of Waze and I think it beats everything else at looking at detailed unusual routes for options, but even Waze rarely reroutes when there are better options.
This is where Google Maps is currently best-in-class. It constantly updates & displays not only your current route but up to two best-alternative routes. It tells you how much longer/shorter each one is, and you can switch to one of them with just a tap (or automatically switch by driving onto one of the alternate routes).

babula

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla has the best car navigation in my opinion but I think they have to go a custom route because of the built in supercharger network and rerouting based on current battery life.