1. Model 3 is coming. Get your Model 3 Owners Club apparel today!

Dismiss Notice

Need for Apple new stuff

Discussion in 'Off topic' started by mservice, Sep 13, 2017.

More threads by mservice
  1. mservice

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    falls church, va
    Country
    i have the real reason i didn't get the sport rims, i. needed the extra grand for the Apple iPhone X.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I want (need?) both

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. Sandy

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Cobourg, Ontario
    Country
    So do I!!! However I just got my iPhone7 a couple of months ago. Less than 1/2 price on a 2 year plan. (Slowly transitioning to Apple across the board).

4. SoFlaModel3

Impatiently Waiting
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    South Florida
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I need the iPhone X to take pictures of my sport wheels ;)

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    #5 MelindaV, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    see... I have a 6 that was bought the day they went on sale (2 years ago) with a battery that certainly causes range anxiety lately. I also would rather buy it outright than on the plans, so really a $1000 phone that I will have for the next 2 years (being since iPhone3 I've been replacing them every other year), would be less than $10 a week.
    ETA: really.... I would be at the least buying the iPhone8 ($700), so the iPhone X in essence is only $300, so less than $3 a week.

6. Michael Russo

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Belgium now, SW France when my Model ≡ gets here
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    You took the words out of my month... So... by the end of 2017... I have to buy a MacBook, an iPhone, and a 'bridge' (pre-owned) car until Midnight S≡R≡NITY (did not buy any of these for myself in last 30 years... ;) yet quite a few for wifey and daughter though!!)

As for the Sports wheels... well you know where I stand... :D

Melinda, as an Apple buff, what's your view on the 64 vs. 256 Gb 'dilemma'?

7. SoFlaModel3

Impatiently Waiting
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    South Florida
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    What carrier do you have?

I’m on AT&T and with the “Next” program you get 2 options. (1) Annual upgrade or (2) 2 year upgrades.

There is no reason to buy the phone outright though.

Either way it’s a 0.0% loan against the total price of the price. You pay tax up front, so the $999 phone over 30 months is $33.30/month. You can accelerate your payments and own the phone outright if you want to, or you can upgrade after 24 months.

I have a 7 Plus right now that I did the one year jump on because I knew iPhone X was coming, but now I’m good to slide back to the 2 year upgrades.

8. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I’d previously always bought the highest capacity, but the last one I did 64gb (prior ones I’ve had were the top end capacity of 32 and before that largest was 16gb). I’ve been totally fine with the 64 over the last two years. I have a ton of music, podcasts and audio books on it, I take a ton of photos for work that I forget to clear off and end up sitting in my phone for a year, emails & texts that I never clear out, etc... and currently at about ⅔ full which is about where it consistently has ran at for the last two years.

I escaped attt as soon as the iPhone began being sold thru other carriers, and went back to T-Mo. I would much rather buy my phone outright than be on a contract. In my experience, the carrier offered ‘deals’ are often not a deal.
    My bill went down around $30-40 per month for similar service, essentially grandfathered att unlimited everything on a 1 year contract, to T-Mobile’s unlimited voice and txt, unlimited data at the highest speed, for x amount (that I can’t recall the break point) then at a slower speed but have never noticed any slowdown toward the end of the billing cycle, with no contract.
    two years ago, when I was looking into switching back to T-Mobile vs staying with att, I discovered that difference was essentially the “new phone with new 1year contract” price subsidy. So if you were replacing a phone every year it was a wash, but like me if you replace a phone every 2 years, you are paying that subsidy 2x. If you got a new phone every 3 years, 3x, etc. I did not like the business model that would include that extra amount indefinitely for getting their 1 year contract priced phone one time. But they don’t tell customers the hardware subsidy is baked into the billing price. Or at least not outside of the very fine print.

9. JWardell

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Boston
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I doubt T-Mobile will charge me any more than $100 to upgrade to the iPhone X. I think people forget how expensive the iPhone 7 plus is that is in their pocket because the price doesn't quite round to a full grand.

10. SoFlaModel3

Impatiently Waiting
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    South Florida
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I have a family plan with 5 lines (unlimited voice, data, and text) and the average cost of service per line is $51.38/month.

Obviously a few years back AT&T did away with the "2 year contract". That was the dream though. Get your new iPhone for $199/299 and they subsidized the rest. Yes service did cost a pinch more (nothing crazy) and yes I realize I was paying for the rest of the phone in the subsidy.

But lets say way back when (going back to say iPhone 3GS).

I paid $199 for the phone and it had an MSRP of $599. Let's say back then my average service cost was about $75/month (so ~$24 more than today).

After 2 years it was time to get the iPhone 4S. Again $199 for the phone. Now the best part, I sold my 3GS for somewhere in the $200-250 ballpark. The cycle was fantastic ... "free iPhone's for life after your first purchase" with the subsidy just baked into your service plan.

Then came AT&T Next. It seemed like a raw deal. Is it though? My service is down $24/month and now I have a specific line item for the phone subsidy (~$30/month) and meanwhile $0 out of pocket for the phone. Rather than having to worry about selling my phone, I simply give it back every 2 years and get the latest version for $0.

I don't have any reason not to be under contract with AT&T. I will never not need them/their service (meaning "cell service in general"). If I ever chose to jump to another carrier that possibility is always there contract or not. Most carriers are so hungry to get the business they pay out your ETF anyway. I do have DirecTV and AT&T Fiber Internet at home though and get additional savings on those products from bundling.

I guess that's a long winded way of saying, I don't specifically see value in shelling out $1,000 today versus $33.30/month for 24 months ($799). Once last note on that topic. As you can see I will only spend $799 on my $1,000 phone. Let's say in 2 years by some miracle the phone is worth $300. Rather than give it back to AT&T I can pay what I owe ($200) and sell it for $300 and make the extra $100. It gives you good flexibility.

11. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    it's the same reason I would rather buy a car than lease it. Those behind the leases are doing it to make money.

12. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    #12 garsh, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    Holy crap, that's expensive!

I have 7 lines on an unlimited-everything family plan with T-Mobile. I pay ~$150/mo. for all 7 lines.

• Like Like x 3
  13. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I was thinking that too, but being I have just a single line (plus free iPad token limited data) around $50 but didn't know how much of a discount multilines should get you

14. SoFlaModel3

Impatiently Waiting
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    South Florida
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I would say yes and no. There is no interest and no residual to worry about. It's really rent to buy with every payment going toward principal. Don't want to mess with buying just get the new one. Yes it's all semantics though :)

Hmmm... that's pretty cheap! I have been preconditioned to know that T-Mobile has inferior coverage, but wow looking at coverage maps it looks like they have taken a massive leap. Meanwhile my beloved AT&T barely works at my own home :(

15. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    Back in 2011, AT&T tried to buy T-Mobile, but the purchase was denied by the US DOJ. Part of the deal made between the two companies was that AT&T would pay T-Mobile $3 billion (yes, billion) dollars, as well as give T-Mobile about $1 billion worth of wireless spectrum, if the merger were to fall through (this was a provision to make sure AT&T was serious, because otherwise the pre-announcement seriously hurt T-Mobile's ability to court new customers). T-Mobile has been doing a heck of a job using that huge cash infusion to upgrade their network, upgrade their services, and pull in new customers.

As you can imagine, losing ~$4 billion worth of assets with nothing to show in return hasn't helped AT&T.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    also, when ATT originally switched over to the GSM network from CDMA, then began a huge ad campaign on them having the most coverage, they were leasing airspace from T-Mobile's towers. Towers that T-Mobile already had established on the GSM frequency. That all happened a few years prior to me switching to ATT when I was an original T-Mobile (and Voicestream that T-Mo bought). I always wondered why T-Mo didn't speak up and make it more known that coverage ATT was bragging about was because they were using their towers.

ETA: don't remember exactly the era that this was, but think generally in the heyday of the Nokia 3200 - maybe 2000ish

17. SoFlaModel3

Impatiently Waiting
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    South Florida
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    So I called TMobile... 5 lines unlimited everything is $180/month ($36/phone).

I double checked my AT&T Numbers and I was slightly off. 5 lines unlimited everything is $231.91 ($46.38/phone). There are still savings there, but I don't know if I want to go through the hassle of moving 5 phones over. That said, all 5 phones are upgrading to iPhone X so if there was ever a time it's literally right now.

18. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    T-Mobile also refunds $10 for each line that uses less than 2GB of data in a month (called Kickback). Since everybody uses wifi at home, most of us are under that limit unless we're traveling in a given month. That would potentially bring your cost down to $130/mo.

Right now, T-Mobile will also pay for a Netflix subscription. If you have Netflix already anyhow, that saves you another $10/mo.

19. JWardell

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Boston
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I would wait until the X is out to switch, otherwise you might not get whatever intro deal they usually have.
    You can get even more out of T-Mobile if you make use of the extras they give you, like now they include free Netflix.

I was first with TMobile/then Voicestream when I left Sprint PCS to buy the very first smartphone, the Handspring Treo 180 (palm pilot), in 2002. I was very happy with them, and loved the fact that they were the only carrier to offer european GSM in the US. I would regularly buy slightly used phones off ebay and could just move my SIM card around to whatever phone I felt like. Everyone else was tied down to one brick with 2-3 year contracts.

I left for AT&T/Cingular when the iPhone 3G came out and you had no choice of carriers. I skipped the first iphone because it was NOT a smartphone in my mind..you could not download apps on to it!! Well, AT&T sucked for a while.

Eventually I left AT&T for Verizon. The coverage was much better, but I paid a lot more. Customer service was not so great with either.

I switched back to T-Mobile a few years ago and loved it ever since. Customer service is much better than all the others. Coverage is damn impressive now, even in many remote areas. And the plans are a steal. I can upgrade phones six times a year and still pay less than Verizon. And I absolutely love being able to visit other countries around the world and the phone just works, without a ton of crazy charges. My last few years of Verzion I would travel just to Canada for work and be completely disconnected from my lifeblood unless I could find decent WIFI. How did we survive like that??

AT&T still has some cheap plan options, especially if you have a lot of lines. But customer service and coverage still sucks.
    Verizon is still expensive, and has a lot of hidden limitations. It only makes sense for folks in remote areas that have no alternatives.
    Like Apple, T-Mobile was hanging on a thread for years, but lately they are killing it. Well OK, Apple isn't really killing it any more. Still waiting for mac pro and mac mini updates for years and years....

• Like Like x 2
  20. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Vancouver, WA
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    And the MLB subscription is included (if only I could figure out how to not have mlb continue to change my reoccurring renewal and switch over to the free tmo plan)

• Agree Agree x 1