Need recommendations for hitches

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Hey Everyone! Longtime visitor but new to being a member. I live in Oregon where my husband and I love to go mountain biking. We have an SUV and would put the bikes in the back, however we are selling it and waiting for delivery of our Model 3. Another couple who goes with us also fits their bikes in their vehicle but they have a sedan – the thought of putting our bikes inside our Tesla makes me cringe.

I’ve been advised to look into a roof rack or a hitch mounted bike rack. I don’t want to lift the bikes onto the roof. So, I was curious if anyone has experience with a hitch mounted bike rack? Any suggestions on a hitch brand or a bike rack brand?

BellevueEd

M3OC Supporting Member
Country
Country
Hey Everyone! Longtime visitor but new to being a member. I live in Oregon where my husband and I love to go mountain biking. We have an SUV and would put the bikes in the back, however we are selling it and waiting for delivery of our Model 3. Another couple who goes with us also fits their bikes in their vehicle but they have a sedan – the thought of putting our bikes inside our Tesla makes me cringe.

I’ve been advised to look into a roof rack or a hitch mounted bike rack. I don’t want to lift the bikes onto the roof. So, I was curious if anyone has experience with a hitch mounted bike rack? Any suggestions on a hitch brand or a bike rack brand?
Not a recommendation, but torklift.com, north of you in Auburn, WA., has come out with a hitch for the Model 3. Installation requires taking off the bumper of the M3, and attaching to four bolts. I'm still bothered by the thought that a rack would affect the various sensors.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have installed it and it works well. It looks me about 4 hours of which 2.5 hours was searching for the right bolts. I hear that issue has been resolved.

Model_3_Hitch (1).JPG

Andrew M

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have installed it and it works well. It looks me about 4 hours of which 2.5 hours was searching for the right bolts. I hear that issue has been resolved.

View attachment 10949
I purchase the same hitch. I have the AWD Performance. Do you have any recommendations where I may be able to get this installed. Any concerns about doing the damage or voiding the warranty? Lastly, is there somewhere you recommend that I purchase the bolts?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I purchase the same hitch. I have the AWD Performance. Do you have any recommendations where I may be able to get this installed. Any concerns about doing the damage or voiding the warranty? Lastly, is there somewhere you recommend that I purchase the bolts?
It really was not too hard to install. So I would do it If you are handy. Officially we ar not supposed to tow so it could be a question but a Tesla Ranger saw it and said I should be fine. As for the bolts hopefully they corrected the issue but if not I was able to get some at Advanced Auto.

Jon1974

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

View attachment 10949
Hi There

I am looking at getting this same hitch. To confirm, is your car the M3 Performance? Since it sits a bit lower than a regular M3, have you had any issues with the hitch hitting the road as you go up hills?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi There

I am looking at getting this same hitch. To confirm, is your car the M3 Performance? Since it sits a bit lower than a regular M3, have you had any issues with the hitch hitting the road as you go up hills?
I have the standard rear wheel drive. And no problem with scrapes.