1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

New Chip for self driving

Discussion in 'Design' started by green1, Sep 21, 2017.

More threads by green1
  1. green1

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    AZ
    Country
    I'm reading that Tesla is working with AMD to design a new Chip for Self Driving. So what does that mean for the Model 3? Will there be a "Superior model 3" with the new Chip, depending how soon the chip is designed vs how soon people start receiving deliveries? The Model 3 apparently will have all the required hardware for full self driving, but if a new Chip is introduced, how will you upgrade your M3?

2. garsh

Dis Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Country
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Bokonon

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Newton, MA
      Country
      Apparently (at least on the S and the X), the Nvidia "on-board supercomputer" for self-driving is mounted near the glove box. That suggests that a retrofit of the FSD hardware is within the realm of possibility, at least for the S and the X. If that hardware is similarly-located in the 3, I'd imagine that the same would be true for that model as well.

• SoFlaModel3

Impatiently Waiting
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      South Florida
      Country
      A few thoughts on this topic...

Tesla's are remarkably future proof as compared to literally every other car on the market. However they remain cars not intended for the feint of heart given how rapidly they change the options, the features, and the pricing (up and down).

If I'm always worried about what is coming next then I will never make my purchase.

All you can do is make your decision based on what you know and at the very least you know Tesla would get slammed selling FSD for $3,000 if it required a new chip and to that end you know the only way that would be true is if Tesla provided the new chip for free down the road.

• BobLoblaw

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Kelowna BC
      Country
      I firmly believe that regulatory approval will be the bottleneck re: FSD. The technology is improving exponentially, regulatory changes are always on a far more conservative path.

I guess what I’m getting at is that by the time the regulatory approval for FSD takes place Tesla will probably have improved the technology many times. All you have to do is look at autopilot revisions to see that. Whether or not the old hardware meets the regulatory requirement is anyone’s guess, the only sure way to know would be to wait until legal FSD exists to buy your car.

If “non-approved” FSD is fine for you, fill yer boots now and take a chance. My bet would be that the 3 will meet the DOT/Transport Canada sniff test when they actually get that far, but it’s just a poorly educated guess.