1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

New Destination Chargers in Long Island City, Queens NY

Discussion in 'Charging and Infrastructure' started by Perscitus, Feb 23, 2017.

More threads by Perscitus
  1. Perscitus

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    New York
    Country
    Hello, World!

In preparation for my Model 3 delivery, I have been working with Tesla Destination Charging Team to bring some HPWCs to Queens, and particularly my parking garage where the car will spend most of its time.

With the service center off the LIE gone, the only nearby Superchargers I know of are located at JFK and up in Westchester, with an apparent Tesla and generic charger dead-zone throughout most of Brooklyn and Queens counties.

Enter some new HPWCs... of course the idea is nothing new and I was merely inspired by a Teslarati article posted sometime last year detailing the process for someone on the West coast.

Tesla made the whole process straightforward and painless. From raising the request on their website, to following up via phone and email and finally helping moderate the conversation between the garage firm's management and owner, Tesla regional rep, facility management and electricians/installers.

Fast forward a few months (delays introduced by all the back and forth, waiting on approvals, survey and install scheduling and the typical yellow tape on the garage side of this equation) and I now have two Tesla HPWCs (200-277V @ 80A charge sharing models) and one generic charger installed at the garage as a new Destination charging location in Queens!

The existing three Model S and one Model X, previous-gen Chevrolet Bolt monthly parking ticket holders can now make use of these chargers and I'll join them when my Model 3 arrives (likely in Q1 2018).

If any of you own a Model S or X and want to give them a try, please let us know what's your on-board motor and charging setup as well as what charging rate you reach while connected up to these HPWCs. Hopefully the install includes 100A or at least 80A breakers allowing this install to scale up to a high charging rate.

Location details:
    • LittleMan Parking - Queens West Garage located in Long Island City, NY 11109
    Charger details:
    • 2x Tesla Wall Connectors TPN 1050067-01-E (@ 19.2kW)
    • 1x Clipper Creek LCS-30P Level 2 charger (@ 5.8kW)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
      Staff Member Founder
      Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Aurora,Ontario
      Country
      Welcome to the board!

Thanks for the info, this type of stuff is VERY helpful for those looking to deal with their charging situation.

Maybe you can put in your contact information so they can reach out?

• Perscitus

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      New York
      Country
      Thank you Trev. I wish I could, but there is a NDA in place for anyone once directly working with the Destination Charging team staff.

The only thing I can recommend is

a. put in a request (businesses in tourist destinations or along major interstates such as hotels, restaurants, shopping malls, large parking facilities likely take preference) using the Destination Charging website
      h t t p s : / / w w w . t e s l a . c o m /support/destination-charging

b. give it a few days and chase the request via email (reply to the confirmation email)

c. give Tesla a call, ask for the Operator and see if you get lucky enough to be patched through to the Destination Charging team.
      This is hit or miss, Used to be easier and I was able to get a hold of 2-3 team members at one point. Not it looks like its another loop-hole that's been patched up.

d. hope for the best (if the team decides the location is a good one, they will reach out and work with the local business so its best to prepare them and line things up on the client side as well).

The beauty of this is for now, if selected, everything is free to the business owner/s!

Tesla provides the equipment, provides/covers the electrician's work (survey and actual install) and covers the installation labor costs (to some reasonable limit). Zero out-of-pocket costs for the destination charging location and either free or very reasonable rates for their clients once installed.

• Informative Informative x 1