1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Dismiss Notice

New from Iceland

Discussion in 'Personal Introductions' started by Michael Russo, Sep 3, 2017.

More threads by Michael Russo
  1. Michael Russo

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Belgium now, SW France when my Model ≡ gets here
    Country
    @KarenRei , warm welcome to M3OC! I was intrigued by your city & suspected it was Icelandic. A quick Google search rapidly confirmed it is the 2nd largest in your country!

Would be great if could tell us a little more about you & your interest for T≡SLA and EVs here. I enjoy how globally diverse this forum has become.

Also, since we know little to none about Iceland, would you mind sharing, if you know, how many T≡SLA cars have been sold there? Do you have SCs? How many other EVs? To what extent are they promoted by your authorities?

Thanks,
    Mike

• Like Like x 2
    • KarenRei

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Reykjavík
      Country
      #2 KarenRei, Sep 18, 2017 at 5:14 AM
      Last edited: Sep 18, 2017 at 7:24 AM
      First off, sorry for the delay - I don't hang out on this forum (I hang out on teslaownersclub... I'm not sure why there's need for three separate Tesla forums!) I'm also not sure where it got that I live in Kópavogur - I haven't lived there for years (I live in Reykjavík, but will eventually be moving to Kjós where I own land).

My interest in Tesla and EVs? I've been interested in EVs for a long time. I was an early reservation holder for an Aptera, for example (still rather bitter about how that whole saga played out :Þ) Even ran a company making software for EVs way back in the early days, but it went bankrupt. The whole topic was a bit depressing for me, so I ended up sitting on the EV sidelines for a while, hoping something would inspire me as much as Aptera had. Nothing has, but Model 3 has come closest, and I'm long past sick of driving ICEs ;) Plus here, the vehicle practically pays for itself.

The EV market in Iceland is huge (although our population is low). We're the #2 market penetration in the world (after Norway). To put it into perspective, we're getting close to passing Italy (409 in July, the last month available) in terms of total EV sales (398 in August, the last month available) ;) Italy, a country with 12% of the population of the entire EU, is barely ahead of Iceland, a country with ~335k people ;) We have clean power, 3rd most expensive gasoline in the world, EVs can deduct VAT (24%) and don't get charged CO2 fees (which can be up to 65%), etc, etc. So for example, a base BMW 3-series would cost $22k USD more than a Model 3 to buy, and then a fortune to operate.

Despite the fact that we sell so many EVs, Tesla keeps ignoring us, which is a constant source of frustration. Italy, for example, gets 5 stores, 2 service centres and 23 superchargers. Us? Nothing, zip, nada. And I try to convince myself it's because, well, we used to be a small EV market, it's only recently that we've skyrocketted so much in EV sales. But then Tesla updated their planned expansion map just last week for through to the end of 2018 and once again, Iceland gets a big fat nothing. It's a constant source of frustration. Meanwhile they're planning superchargers for tiny islands that have no need for them whatsoever, like Maui. Here most people have to get PHEVs because the island is so big and there's no superchargers (the Ring Road is 1332km long, for example).

Obviously, without a supercharger network, without a store, and without a service center, we don't sell a lot of Teslas. I think we're around 80 total now in the country. You have to be pretty hardcore to buy a car that you have to import yourself, can't use one of its main features (fast charging), and with the knowledge that if it breaks you have to ship it across the Atlantic for service :Þ

If you happen to know anyone from Tesla, please complain to them about this situation for me.

- kv, Karen

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • garsh

Dis Member
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Pittsburgh PA
        Country
        Tesla's official forums are very limited. There's no support for embedding videos, for example. And there's always the implied threat of any posts negative of Tesla being moderated.

TMC was thus born to provide a forum in which to discuss Tesla without being subject to Tesla oversight. It works pretty well, and has lots of info and great members. But it can be a bit harsh at times.

M3OC was started to be a friendlier place for people who are new to the Tesla ownership experience. Some people prefer that - some do not. You'll see a lot more "newbie" type posts here. I hope we can continue to answer them, rather than resorting to retorts like "that's been answered a hundred times already - do a search".

• Love it! Love it! x 2
        • Like Like x 1
        • Michael Russo

Top-Contributor
          Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          Belgium now, SW France when my Model ≡ gets here
          Country
          @KarenRei , thank you for your post as well as interesting insights on Iceland on which most of us, I'm sure, know too little!

Not sure why your location is wrong in your profile yet you can modify the city in your personal details as you please.

Fully agree with everything my fellow moderator @garsh already wrote. Actually, IMHO, I feel he is even kinda nice when he rates TMC as 'a bit harsh at times... ;)

Anyways, yes, here we share information and perspectives in a mutually respectful way. We also like to help eachother!

To this end, and without guarantee of success, I took a shot at a couple of tweets to Elon directly on the need for T≡SLA to establish a footprint in Iceland... Let's see what he says! :rainbow: Will keep our fingers crossed! :)

• Like Like x 1
          • Love it! Love it! x 1