Newbie question: differences between various Teslas?

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
So I have heard that better than 75% of the reservations for Model 3 are from people new to Tesla. Since that is the case can one of you Tesla vets fill the rest of us in on the differences between the models? I know the performance differences but I was wondering what makes those differences possible. Maybe compare a 90D, P90D and P90DL. At least that will give us newbies an idea of what we will be getting for the money when the time comes to configure.

Thanks,

Lovesword

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So I have heard that better than 75% of the reservations for Model 3 are from people new to Tesla. Since that is the case can one of you Tesla vets fill the rest of us in on the differences between the models? I know the performance differences but I was wondering what makes those differences possible. Maybe compare a 90D, P90D and P90DL. At least that will give us newbies an idea of what we will be getting for the money when the time comes to configure.

Thanks,
I'll jump in here, though I bet someone is already typing a lengthy reply... I'll look forward to reading that! In the meantime, here is my attempt to be informative but also short and to the point!

Model S: Telsa's flagship sedan.
Model X: Tesla's SUV (with the fancy falcon wing doors!)
The two above are where you're going to see the numbers you mentioned like 90D, P90D, P90DL and other variations... but the differences are easy once you know the CODE! ;)

The number reflects the battery size. For brand new Model S and X vehicles, there are two choices: 75 and 100. The larger number equates to more range (at a cost). Tesla used to have other sizes of batteries before so you'll see 60, 85, 90... maybe a few others I'm forgetting but you get the idea. Bigger number = bigger battery = more range!

The D after the number refers to Dual motor, so All Wheel Drive (AWD). All new Model S and X vehicles come standard with Dual motors. However, back to some older variations that Tesla used to offer, there were RWD only versions.

The P stands for Performance. Plain and simple, it equals SPEED! And the L will only be an addition to a vehicle that is already a "P" and means it's been software unlocked to include Ludicrous mode... which is (as if it needs it)....EVEN MORE SPEED. (EDIT: SEE RESPONSES FROM OTHERS, the Ludicrous upgrade is more than just a software update))

So your current, top of the line, all bells and whistles purchased, Tesla is going to be P100DL (Performance... Biggest battery... Dual motor ... Ludicrous enabled!)

Model 3: Tesla's latest sedan, with an effort to bring a price point that more people could afford. Variations on these exist as well, however Tesla went away from the battery number naming system.

LR = Long range (the one with the bigger battery)
SR = Standard range (less range*) *Not yet available
D = same as Model S and X, this means Dual motor
P = same as Model S and X, this means Performance (SPEEEEED!)

... and just to make things a tiny bit more obscure, if there is a red underline on the badge of the Performance and Dual motor combo, it means the owner also purchased a Performance Upgrade Option including 20" Performance wheels, performance brakes, carbon fiber spoiler, lowered suspension... a few other things, but you get the idea. Underlined badge means Performance Upgrade Option.

This is my attempt to give a brief overview, but I tend to type fast and "ramble" a bit. If you have more questions or if anything is not clear at all, please don't hesitate to reply here or even send me a message.
Hope this helps!

Last edited:

GDN

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Very nice overview @Lovesword For a newbie the Tesla Wiki is good at filling in company history and story too - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla,_Inc.

One item you note is "L" for ludicrous - I don't ever recall truly seeing that on a badge, and it is more than being SW unlocked. Pretty sure Ludicrous also requires upgraded and heavy duty wiring, only available at order time from the factory, not simply added with a SW unlock.

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
One item you note is "L" for ludicrous - I don't ever recall truly seeing that on a badge, and it is more than being SW unlocked. Pretty sure Ludicrous also requires upgraded and heavy duty wiring, only available at order time from the factory, not simply added with a SW unlock.
It required a replacement of the battery pack. The Ludicrous-capable battery pack has contacts made of inconel instead of steel.