NHTSA Model 3 Complaint

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 17th all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
How is this for a complaint? Was researching and came across this.

Components: AIR BAGS, SERVICE BRAKES, VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL
NHTSA ID Number: 11154132
Incident Date November 26, 2018
Consumer Location UPPER ARLINGTON, OH
Vehicle Identification Number 5YJ3E1EA6JF****
Summary of Complaint
CRASH Yes
FIRE No
INJURIES 0
DEATHS 0
TESLA MODEL 3 (2018) PROCEEDED TO ACCELERATE WHILE BRAKE PEDAL WAS DEPRESSED GOING THROUGH AN INTERSECTION CAUSING UNCONTROLLABLE MANEUVER AND VEHICLE CONTROL LOSS. THE VEHICLE FAILED TO RESPOND TO PEDAL INPUT AND FAILED TO DEPLOY AIRBAGS UPON IMPACT WITH A TREE AND FENCE CONTINUING TO ACCELERATE THROUGHOUT SUCH INCIDENT. AUTOPILOT WAS ENGAGED PRIOR TO CRASH. NO FORWARD COLLISION WARNING ACTIVATED.

Gavyne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You'll want to skip reading NHTSA's complaint listing because majority of it are fabricated. Anybody can post there and NHTSA has no way to validate them.

https://electrek.co/2018/08/27/tesla-fake-nhtsa-complaints-tactic-detractors/

Besides, do you think something like that could've happened without it making headline news on CNN, Fox, NBC, Marketwatch, and especially Business Insiders? Not a chance, if that really happened we would've been forced to read about it for a week.

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm willing to bet that it's based on an actual incident. However, I was unable to find any news articles on a crash in Ohio involving a Tesla. And Copart doesn't have any wrecked Model 3's in that area yet.
PROCEEDED TO ACCELERATE WHILE BRAKE PEDAL WAS DEPRESSED
So somebody hit the wrong pedal....
AUTOPILOT WAS ENGAGED
... and they were using autopilot in an unsupported scenario (going through an intersection).

GDN

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Agree, I'm sure if all checked out to be factual some news source would be all over it blaming Tesla. Confusion does happen. All they have to do is get Tesla to review the logs and they will be able to tell them which pedal was pressed and how far.

Last edited:

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Agree, I'm sure if all checked out to be factual some news source would be all over it blaming Tesla. Confusion does happen. All they have to do is get Tesla to review the logs and they will be able to tell them which pedal was pressed and how far.
not to mention speed prior to losing control

Last edited by a moderator:

kort677

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
it sounds to me that this incident is just another case of operator error. in this day and age many people try to deflect their poor decisions onto to others because they are unwilling to accept responsibility for their errors.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The guy that complained to the NHTSA posted on the TMC forum if you want to read his description. A lot of unanswered questions. He hired a third party to pull the logs and Tesla is also supposed to be pulling logs to investigate.

With the data logs from the car it should not take long to figure this out.

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A diagram of the accident.

I'll be interested to hear what Tesla is able to get from the logs. I'm reserving judgement on this one. He says TACC and EAP were turned off due to hitting the brake pedal earlier. But still, the most likely cause seems to be that the car slowed down due to TACC, and when the car in front turned away, his car was free to accelerate.

iChris93

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A diagram of the accident.

I'll be interested to hear what Tesla is able to get from the logs. I'm reserving judgement on this one. He says TACC and EAP were turned off due to hitting the brake pedal earlier. But still, the most likely cause seems to be that the car slowed down due to TACC, and when the car in front turned away, his car was free to accelerate.

So they're saying the car re-engaged TACC and AP by itself? Yeah... right.

GDN

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've searched twice and will have to search more later, but there was a posting here from a man claiming his wife ran into a dumpster or shopping carts or something in a grocery store parking lot. I don't recall there was ever any follow up to that post or a resolution and I can't even find it now, but they claimed 100% that she had hit the brake and not the accelerator, the car had accelerated on it's own.

Just interesting how those posts and threads disappear or don't ever get realistic proof.

Trying not to judge, but with these cars all we have to do is give Tesla a little time and the real answer will be known.