Niko's and Silent Thunder's excursions!

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 10th all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
  • Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271

GDN

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Picked up Niko on June 9, 800 days after reservation at the Dallas SC. Midnight silver, PUP, sport wheels, EAP. What a car !

Will track his fun in this thread. Elon got this one right.

I realize Niko isn't unique, but he was named almost 5 months before he arrived ! Custom plates waiting on him to arrive.

His first sighting - held behind ropes !!!

IMG_2316.jpg

Going to come back and keep my SW updates in post 1. They are too strung out to find.

Ordered 4/19, Built on 5/25, Delivered on June 9
21.9 - 6/12/18
26.1 - 7/20/2018
28.2 - 8/8/2018
32.2 - 8/23/18
34.1 - 9/11/18
36.2 - 9/20/18
39.7 - 10/13/18 v9
42.2 - 10/31/18
42.4 - 11/2/18

November 20, 2018
Big update to the household, we added Silent Thunder to the stable. LR AWD, Black with White PUP interior, sport wheels and EAP. Wasn't sure I was going to like the white interior, but man does it pop. Very nice, at least while new. He is on the left (like it really matters). Could have been a record - 4 black cars in for delivery all at once. IMG_3846.jpeg

SW Tracker for Silent Thunder
Ordered on November 4, built on November 7, Delivered on November 20
42.4 - 11/20/2018 - delivered with this version
44.1 - 11/20/2018 - waiting to be updated at delivery
46.2 - 12/3/2018

Last edited:

GDN

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Day 3 - Niko's big bother, the crewcab pickup, got his quartz coating this morning (I've been calling it ceramic - and just realized this one is quartz.). It was highly rated but don't know if one is better than the other. At the end of the day - they all may be snake oil for all I know at this point.) Started the process last Friday. I spent about 6 hours claybaring and polishing the pickup. Gave it a good rinse this morning and went over it with some detail spray. Then took about 2 hours to put the Gyeon Mohs quartz on it. It looks good. Will try for a couple of pics in a bit.

Time to start Niko - will be a quick wash and clay bar, which I suspect will likely pick nothing up, but everyone says to do it. Then polish and quartz for him too - but that will likely be tomorrow after work by the time that goes on.

What I can say right now, is none of this process is hard, and if I can do it, likely anyone can by reading a few articles and watching some video. I figure my job will be as good as 97% of what I'd pay someone else to do it. I can't justify spending several thousand, although if these coatings really protect and make him shine like claimed, then I'll get him the best job I can at home.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Forgot - also got him an appointment for tint this weekend. Saturday morning. Thanks @LUXMAN for the recommendation.
Cool deal. What time is your appt? I would come up and meet ya as it is not far from me, but I gotta go to Tyler in the AM for camp pickup.

GDN

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Cool deal. What time is your appt? I would come up and meet ya as it is not far from me, but I gotta go to Tyler in the AM for camp pickup.
Will be up there at 10 AM. They really wanted me to drop it off and leave it so they could work on it through the day, but told them I was driving almost 45 minutes one way and would be nice if they could just get us in and out. He said he'd have 4 guys in that morning and he'd be glad to jump on it and get it done since I was coming so far to let them do the job.

If you are around - would be nice to say hello.

GDN

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well - I'm a bit tired. Not near as active these years and a full day of detailing Friday on the truck - wash, clay bar and full polish with a dual action polisher and then another full day of it today - started with a light wash on the truck, from there it was the Gyeon Mohs action. The coating seems very straight forward and easy. The prep is likely the more critical part.

This truck is a 2014 that sat on the lot for 15 months before I bought it, so I'm sure it didn't have much love there and unfortunately due to a house remodel and an old jeep that has come along, it has never been able to spend a single night in the garage, it sits out every night. This is the first love it's really ever had. The clay bar and the polishing really made it smooth to the feel and took care of any issues I could see in the paint. The Gyeon coating has really brought it to life. The paint is Tuxedo Black from Ford with red and green flakes in it - they really shine and pop. I've got 6 or 7 pin head paint chips from the miles it's been driven, but really good overall.

It took about 2 hours to coat using the included applicator and suede cloth. I applied one section at a time, gave it just a minute and then wiped off using 2 cloths. I'm very pleased with this so far. The true test will come in time, after a rain to see how it beads and holds up, but here are a couple of pictures, the second is most impressive as the house is a reflection off of the truck.

pickup after gyeon 1.jpg
pickup with house reflection.jpg

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well - I'm a bit tired. Not near as active these years and a full day of detailing Friday on the truck - wash, clay bar and full polish with a dual action polisher and then another full day of it today - started with a light wash on the truck, from there it was the Gyeon Mohs action. The coating seems very straight forward and easy. The prep is likely the more critical part.

This truck is a 2014 that sat on the lot for 15 months before I bought it, so I'm sure it didn't have much love there and unfortunately due to a house remodel and an old jeep that has come along, it has never been able to spend a single night in the garage, it sits out every night. This is the first love it's really ever had. The clay bar and the polishing really made it smooth to the feel and took care of any issues I could see in the paint. The Gyeon coating has really brought it to life. The paint is Tuxedo Black from Ford with red and green flakes in it - they really shine and pop. I've got 6 or 7 pin head paint chips from the miles it's been driven, but really good overall.

It took about 2 hours to coat using the included applicator and suede cloth. I applied one section at a time, gave it just a minute and then wiped off using 2 cloths. I'm very pleased with this so far. The true test will come in time, after a rain to see how it beads and holds up, but here are a couple of pictures, the second is most impressive as the house is a reflection off of the truck.

View attachment 10077
View attachment 10078
Beautiful Job! I am sure you Model 3 will look great if you pamper it like the truck.

GDN

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So it truly was a busy day. After the truck was done I worked on the car. Washed with some Dawn to take off any wax if it had any, clay bar and light polish in just a spot or two. This car didn't need any major paint work. I really would like to see a professional and what he claims he is doing for all of the paint correction on these cars. Either the novice eye truly doesn't see it or there is a lot of bunk being sold out there. I did ask the SC not to do any detailing on the car before delivery so maybe I was spared and most do end up with some bad things being done to them. I had a great time spending several hours with the car and going over it inch by inch. It took about an hour and a half to get the coating on it.

I did find one spot about one inch by one inch on the right fender where it looks like it might have had a tie down rub on it or something. I don't think it is worth taking in as I'm afraid of it could end up much worse and this really isn't noticeable.

The garage is pretty small and just not enough room or the right light to get a good pic, but here is the car after it's work and coating of Gyeon Mohs quartz. Hope to get a couple more pics later this week and Saturday after tint. IMG_2932.jpg IMG_2929.jpg

Last edited:

GDN

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Beautiful Job! I am sure you Model 3 will look great if you pamper it like the truck.
Thanks - unfortunately the truck hasn't been pampered, more like abuse honestly over 2.5 years. Many projects, the remodel are wrapped up, so finally some time to take care of it and the car as well. Hope to do this every year or so and take care of them both. The truck before this one I had for 13 years and 170,000 miles, so plan on keeping this one just as long.

GDN

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I forgot to ask on Saturday when picking up the car, so I called today and just found out the car was built on May 25, 2018. That was the same day they assigned the VIN and I heard from my ISA. I really figured this car had been built and was sitting somewhere for a few weeks at least.

From an article I just googled, May 25 was the last day before the factory shut down. I'll miss out on any improvements they might have made during that time frame, but am very happy with the way this car has turned out.

Seems it takes a couple of weeks for a car to reach someone's hands after it is built, at least in TX, so I figure it will be a few more days to find anyone with a car that was built post May shutdown and learn of any changes or improvements.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I forgot to ask on Saturday when picking up the car, so I called today and just found out the car was built on May 25, 2018. That was the same day they assigned the VIN and I heard from my ISA. I really figured this car had been built and was sitting somewhere for a few weeks at least.

From an article I just googled, May 25 was the last day before the factory shut down. I'll miss out on any improvements they might have made during that time frame, but am very happy with the way this car has turned out.

Seems it takes a couple of weeks for a car to reach someone's hands after it is built, at least in TX, so I figure it will be a few more days to find anyone with a car that was built post May shutdown and learn of any changes or improvements.
So do you think you have Gen 2 seats then? I would assume so.

GDN

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So do you think you have Gen 2 seats then? I would assume so.
From all accounts I would have to say I definitely do. Have not tried folding the rear seats or comparing to the pictures. I'll do that tonight and cofirm. Also need to find the picture of the added trim in the truck. I would think that is also there, but not confirmed.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
From all accounts I would have to say I definitely do. Have not tried folding the rear seats or comparing to the pictures. I'll do that tonight and cofirm. Also need to find the picture of the added trim in the truck. I would think that is also there, but not confirmed.
TRIM?

GDN

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I did confirm Gen 2 seats and the trim piece is installed. I think it would be pretty obvious and bare without that trim piece. If you don't have it, I don't see how Tesla could deny installing that for you for nothing.

Last edited: