No Ads?

JeffinAZ

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I like that, but who subsidizes this site? A lot of thought and work has gone into Model 3 Owner's Club. Who controls/manages it, I wonder? I would love to know how this site is economically feasible (without ads) and who created it? Kudos to them.

Last edited:

TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I created the site and I'm the administrator.

I'm a web developer by day and this is my internet contribution for Model 3 enthusiasts who, like me, are waiting for the affordable car with the Model S experience. I'm trying to make this site the premier forum on the internet for the Model 3. Yes, TMC is all about Tesla and I'm a member there as well but there's more than enough room on this planet for everyone but this site is focussed SOLELY on the Model 3.

I don't do this for money, however the servers and software cost money so I put some costs forward to maintain the site. I hate ads so I've vowed to never have them on this site, so in lieu of this I've setup a donation system where members can donate a few $ per month for the upkeep and ongoing costs.

Last edited:

JeffinAZ

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I'm a web developer by day and this is my internet contribution for Model 3 enthusiasts who, like me, are waiting for the affordable car with the Model S experience. I'm trying to make this site the premier forum on the internet for the Model 3. Yes, TMC is all about Tesla and I'm a member there as well but there's more than enough room on this planet for everyone but site is focussed SOLELY on the Model 3.

I don't do this for money, however the servers and software cost money so I put some costs forward to maintain the site. I hate ads so I've vowed to never have them on this site, so in lieu of this I've setup a donation system where members can donate a few $ per month for the upkeep and ongoing costs.
Makes "cents"!

Gary Moore

Country
Country

I'm a web developer by day and this is my internet contribution for Model 3 enthusiasts who, like me, are waiting for the affordable car with the Model S experience. I'm trying to make this site the premier forum on the internet for the Model 3. Yes, TMC is all about Tesla and I'm a member there as well but there's more than enough room on this planet for everyone but this site is focussed SOLELY on the Model 3.

Great focal point in history! As they used to say in Akron before the diaspora from Ohio, the place "where the rubber meets the road."

As my old project manager used to say late at night at dinner in some restaurant with the team, "I love it when a plan appears!"

Idur

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I recently noticed ads appear. The donation counter has gone over 100% every month since I joined.
The donation goal has been 120 USD every month.

@TrevP could you please elaborate on why the ads started appearing ?

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm certainly not a fan of the popup blocker nag banner either. Of course I understand any site's need for revenue, personally I always prefer affiliate links, store, and voluntary donations.
When other sites started doing the anti-adblocker popovers, I just close my window and stop visiting those sites. This bar is obviously not quite as invasive, but I still hope you reconsider or have some way to disable the nagging and adds perhaps in a profile setting (that way general passers-by will still get it)

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There is another website that I use that I’ve found has the only useful banner ads to a site users.
Instead of being fed by a random internet service that “thinks” it knows what may get clicks, the site’s users purchase ad space on particular parts of the site that they feel their product could reach their customers. They are charged per view, so most are careful in where they place their ads, for how long and for what and with them being for products directly related to the interests of the users of the site, I have found them to be the only ones I have EVER clicked thru. Having a Dodge Ram truck ad here seems as ill placed here as an ad for a gas station franchise ad would be.
Maybe if the ads here were for abstract ocean, t-line sports, evannex, etc, they would feel a little more sincere

TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
We are considering sponsors so the offerings are more targeted to the audience.

The popup blocker has been changed so it can be dismissed for 4 weeks as long as you have cookies enabled.

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We are considering sponsors so the offerings are more targeted to the audience.

The popup blocker has been changed so it can be dismissed for 4 weeks as long as you have cookies enabled.
Thanks for the fix! I actually don't have an adblocker on my browser, but whatever service you're using for ads are automatically blocked at my work, so the site keeps claiming I have an adblocker. Definitely understand monetizing the site, but it's frustrating for those that don't have control of their network. :)

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Most of the ads I am seeing are from ICE car manufacturers. Especially given the amount of FUD being flung at Tesla from legacy car companies, maintaining independence from ICE would be a nice thing for a Tesla owners' forum.

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Most of the ads I am seeing are from ICE car manufacturers. Especially given the amount of FUD being flung at Tesla from legacy car companies, maintaining independence from ICE would be a nice thing for a Tesla owners' forum.
Maybe it's nicer to have those legacy car companies paying money to support a Tesla-dedicated forum. :)

Frank99

Model 3 owner since May 3, 2018
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'd like to play nice on the forum, but I have some limits.
- I have an ad-blocker, but it's disabled on this site.
- My browser accepts cookies, but not third-party cookies
- I have "Do Not Track" enabled
- I block pop-up windows
- I block Javascript, and enable as necessary to make a site work.

What do I need to do to make the site happy and stop complaining about my Ad blocker? I've tried a few things, and it appears that enabling Javascript will eliminate the banner, but doesn't appear to show ads. That would be great for me, and bad for you, except that javascript blocking is non-negotiable for me. Is there something different I need to set to enable ads here to support the site?

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'd like to play nice on the forum, but I have some limits.
- I have an ad-blocker, but it's disabled on this site.
- My browser accepts cookies, but not third-party cookies
- I have "Do Not Track" enabled
- I block pop-up windows
- I block Javascript, and enable as necessary to make a site work.

What do I need to do to make the site happy and stop complaining about my Ad blocker? I've tried a few things, and it appears that enabling Javascript will eliminate the banner, but doesn't appear to show ads. That would be great for me, and bad for you, except that javascript blocking is non-negotiable for me. Is there something different I need to set to enable ads here to support the site?
I don't know the details of this site, but I block javascript on my home computer and that generally blocks most ads automatically. Since most sites these days use google ads, that would definitely block it. I don't know why the ads still don't show up when you allow javascript, but I can't imagine you'll be able to remedy that without unblocking javascript.

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What do I need to do to make the site happy and stop complaining about my Ad blocker?
According to @TrevP:
So, if you're seeing the popup more often than that, we'll have to experiment some more to figure out which setting needs to change.

If you can't figure out how to get it to work, then at some point, I'd suggest that you don't worry about it. You can always make a direct donation to support the site instead. :)