No room at the inn......

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 17th all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
  • Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271

fritter63

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Could this be the supercharger-pocolypse we've been worried about? The wife and I went to the movies on Sunday about 3:30, and it's right across the street from the local superchargers (Atascadero). As I got out I glanced over to the chargers and was surprised to see no less than 9 Teslas lined up around the parking lot waiting for an open charger.

Sign of the times or just heavy traffic for the holiday week?

(sorry for the bad photo - sun was not co-operating!)

IMG_6231.JPG

Gavyne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That's California, and on a Sunday afternoon. Literally the worst time to be charging. I live near a very busy supercharger where I charge my car. You can avoid the crowd if you charge before 10am, and after 4pm. Any other time, you are expected to wait a bit, with Sunday being the worst.

I try to avoid having to supercharge on Sunday, so if it means I have to to charge up Saturday evening I'll do that.

Firewired

I live in TX, I have thankfully only seen a full charger once at San Marco which had 6 stalls and is at a Mall. Making multiple trips to Fla, Colorado, and Chicago I have never run into this problem there.

littlD

Top-Contributor
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here in Saint Charles, MO, our little five stall is regularly getting full pretty often. Good thing there's a ten stall in Mehlville MO just 29 miles away.

Wooloomooloo

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This could be the signs of things to come though if the infrastructure doesn't continue to scale with sales. Companies like Electrify America (thanks VW) will alleviate it to an extent, but I think SC's will become more crowded in the near future.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This could be the signs of things to come though if the infrastructure doesn't continue to scale with sales. Companies like Electrify America (thanks VW) will alleviate it to an extent, but I think SC's will become more crowded in the near future.
You better hope tesla comes up with a CCS adaptor and/or provides the software update to enable chademo for the Model 3 if you want to use Electrify America stations.

kort677

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That's California, and on a Sunday afternoon. Literally the worst time to be charging. I live near a very busy supercharger where I charge my car. You can avoid the crowd if you charge before 10am, and after 4pm. Any other time, you are expected to wait a bit, with Sunday being the worst.

I try to avoid having to supercharge on Sunday, so if it means I have to to charge up Saturday evening I'll do that.
therein contains one reason for the congestion at the CA superchargers, so many owners there seem to depend on the superchargers as their primary method of charging. I for one only use the superchargers when necessitated by long trips away from home.

Wooloomooloo

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You better hope tesla comes up with a CCS adaptor and/or provides the software update to enable chademo for the Model 3 if you want to use Electrify America stations.
A CCS adapter is all but certain given some markets are fitting Model 3's with native CCS ports (Europe and Australia for example) and have said CCS adapters for Model S and Model X in those markets will soon be available.

https://insideevs.com/tesla-ccs-combo-europe-in-depth-video/

I can't imagine Tesla not wanting their customers to be able to use these chargers.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A CCS adapter is all but certain given some markets are fitting Model 3's with native CCS ports (Europe and Australia for example) and have said CCS adapters for Model S and Model X in those markets will soon be available.

https://insideevs.com/tesla-ccs-combo-europe-in-depth-video/

I can't imagine Tesla not wanting their customers to be able to use these chargers.
well, they have not so far with the chademo adaptor that the S/X are able to use.

Gavyne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
therein contains one reason for the congestion at the CA superchargers, so many owners there seem to depend on the superchargers as their primary method of charging. I for one only use the superchargers when necessitated by long trips away from home.
It's a necessity for me, not a choice. I myself only charge during low traffic times. I've said it before, but CA Superchargers are congested because California has the most Tesla owners, not for any other reasons. I don't think people realize how many people own a Tesla here.

kort677

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It's a necessity for me, not a choice. I myself only charge during low traffic times. I've said it before, but CA Superchargers are congested because California has the most Tesla owners, not for any other reasons. I don't think people realize how many people own a Tesla here.
if all those owners had the ability to charge at home and or were not cheapskates looking to gloom free energy the superchargers wouldn't be clogged by locals and opportunity charging people. this has been argued ad naseum and at one point elon was going to limit those who appeared to be "abusing" the superchargers.

Gavyne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
if all those owners had the ability to charge at home and or were not cheapskates looking to gloom free energy the superchargers wouldn't be clogged by locals and opportunity charging people. this has been argued ad naseum and at one point elon was going to limit those who appeared to be "abusing" the superchargers.
It's a Tesla problem that Tesla has to address, since Tesla was quick at using "free supercharging" as a demand lever to turn profit. Rather than blame people for enjoying the benefits that Tesla presented, blame the company. I hate this bias against "locals" or people who simply are enjoying the free charging given by Tesla. Tesla wouldn't be alive today without all these "cheapskates" or people who can't charge at home.

With MR Model 3's out and SR in 2019, the way to solve this is more superchargers at higher capacity and charge rate (V3). There's no other way to alleviate this problem. People with shorter range options will need to charge more often and it isn't their fault. It's a problem created by Tesla, it's a problem that has to be solevd by Tesla. Bashing fellow Tesla owners is really the wrong way to go about it. Just my opinion anyway.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It's a Tesla problem that Tesla has to address, since Tesla was quick at using "free supercharging" as a demand lever to turn profit. Rather than blame people for enjoying the benefits that Tesla presented, blame the company. I hate this bias against "locals" or people who simply are enjoying the free charging given by Tesla. Tesla wouldn't be alive today without all these "cheapskates" or people who can't charge at home.

With MR Model 3's out and SR in 2019, the way to solve this is more superchargers at higher capacity and charge rate (V3). There's no other way to alleviate this problem. People with shorter range options will need to charge more often and it isn't their fault. It's a problem created by Tesla, it's a problem that has to be solevd by Tesla. Bashing fellow Tesla owners is really the wrong way to go about it. Just my opinion anyway.
or charge a premium - even for those with 'free' supercharging, when all stalls are in use to encourage those like yourself who don't have home charging to use the supercharger at off hours when it is not as likely to be at 100% capacity.

Gavyne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
or charge a premium - even for those with 'free' supercharging, when all stalls are in use to encourage those like yourself who don't have home charging to use the supercharger at off hours when it is not as likely to be at 100% capacity.
In CA we already pay a premium at $0.26. The superchargers will still be congested even if you stop giving free supercharging out. Folks need to look at the big picture here. Model 3 is selling like crazy, and with each lower priced models they launch, hundreds of thousands more will buy them. There's no solution to this other than to simply add more Superchargers, more capacity, and faster charging rate (V3).

I would argue people are not going to superchargers for fun nor are they doing it to save a few bucks. They go to superchargers because they need to (in my situation), and more importantly because it's fast. Until home charging can charge as fast as superchargers, there's simply no replacement to superchargers at the moment. People can buy any EV and charge at home. But at the moment only Tesla offers an expansive fast charging network in the United States. This is one of the main reasons why people are buying a Tesla in the first place over other EV choices. The way to solve this is by volume and capacity, there's no way to stop this progression now that Tesla has opened the floodgates. Stopping people from using Superchargers or alienating them by making them feel unwelcome is just not the way to go in my opinion.

This Supercharger network is Tesla's strength, they need to continue to build on it. When competitive EV's come out with competitive pricing and performance, the Supercharger network will likely be the deciding factor for people to still pick a Tesla over competition.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
In CA we already pay a premium at $0.26
yeah - we pay .24 (OR) and .25 (WA) here and have elec utility rates closer to .06-.08.
if you want to fix the congestion issues that california is having, make them not as enticing to use.

Gavyne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
yeah - we pay .24 (OR) and .25 (WA) here and have elec utility rates closer to .06-.08.
if you want to fix the congestion issues that california is having, make them not as enticing to use.
That would mean to lower the charge rate to below home charging levels. And that's effectively taking away the competitive advantage Tesla has over other automakers also coming out with EV's.

Wooloomooloo

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I do get your sentiment... you're on a road trip, you've got 200 miles to go and you just want to juice up and get home, and the SC is full of people 'sponging' from Tesla, reading poetry or eating a burger... so annoying right?

But really it's a bit strong especially given those of us who bought our the Model 3 Performance are now being told the $5k premium we paid was actually for 'free' supercharging. If anything, for someone who paid $5,000 for lifetime supercharging it is an incentive to use them as much as possible.

FWIW I can't charge at home, and I don't think Elon could credibly limit SC for people 'abusing' it when he's already basically said we paid for it. $5k is a LOT of charging (about 200k miles worth).

That would mean to lower the charge rate to below home charging levels. And that's effectively taking away the competitive advantage Tesla has over other automakers also coming out with EV's.
Lowering the charge rate would increase waiting time anyway... so while a few people might not find it as enticing, the longer wait times would likely more than make up the difference.