Nomad vs Jeda hands on review

Prkls

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I now have both wireless charging mats so I decided to post my observations, hope this helps some folks!

Jeda purchase and first impression 6/10

I pre-ordered Jeda after seeing it here on 6/21. It was originally expected to ship on last week of July, then first week of August. I received shipping confirmation email with USPS tracking number on 8/10, but the tracking showed that the package was never handed to USPS until I contacted Jeda by email on 8/16. I received it on 8/20. Packaging is good and professional, documentation is simple and clear, product appears fairly well made.

Jeda in-use experience 2/10 (updated, was 6/10)

Power delivery works, my iPhone X charges slowly during the drives. However, I usually only listen to music or podcasts from it, and don't run power intensive apps like Waze. I have not run charging amperage tests.

When I first installed it, the Jeda pad had felt loose and had a lot of side by side play until Jeda support pointed out that I had not taken the little stickers off the adhesive feet. This helped, until I had to access the cubby area below the charging pad – the fit of the Jeda pad on the top is tight and lifting the door that Jeda sits on popped the adhesive off and now the looseness is back.

The pad rubber material is fairly hard and not very grippy, and the bottom of phone rests on the hard plastic of the Tesla tray. During spirited cornering my iPhone X tends to slide around and has fallen off the charger and into the cubby below several times.

Nomad email support has been responsive, but has not yet come up with a solution for the falling problem.

*Update: After I requested refund due to issues remaining unresolved, support quoted a 7-day refund policy and became unresponsive. Poor customer support, terrible refund policy, stay away.*

Nomad purchase and first impression 9/10

I pre-ordered Nomad charger on 7/23. It was expected to ship in early September, then updated in August to ship on 9/17, which it did and arrived in 2 days. Packing is excellent and Apple-esque in quality. Only documentation is a small card directing you to website, which has very simple installation guide with no images but sufficient to solve it.

Nomad in-use experience 9/10

Power delivery works, and the small indicator light on the pad shows that charge is being delivered even when phone screen is off. My iPhone X charges during the drives, I have not yet run amperage tests or tested how much the integrated battery boosts charging speed.

The Nomad pad with built in battery pack is noticeably thicker than Jeda. It's fit is very tight, and it doesn't have looseness or play when in place. The USB cables are very short, which means you can't open the tray lid fully if you need to access the cubby area below it.

The pad material is very grippy and looks great. The rubber also extends below the phone in a large lip. My phone stays put during spirited cornering, and can't fall into the cubby.

I have not contacted Nomad support.

Conclusion: Nomad wins for me

Nomad stays put, holds phone great, has integrated battery for faster charging and it looks and feels more premium. It costs $130 vs Jeda's $99 without the external battery. For me, it is worth the premium price.

Photos

Jeda pad lifts off the base when tray is lifted. Phone rests on hard narrow hard plastic tray edge.
IMG_1635.JPG

Jeda pad in place
IMG_1634.JPG

Nomad pad in place
IMG_1648.JPG

Nomad pad with iPhone X
IMG_7907.JPG

Nomad pad; large lip, tight fit and short cables
IMG_1644.JPG

Jeda vs Nomad thickness
IMG_1642.JPG

Last edited:

SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Interesting to see in that second to last screenshot of the Nomad that it also lifts. Are you able to get it to sit flush?

Prkls

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Interesting to see in that second to last screenshot of the Nomad that it also lifts. Are you able to get it to sit flush?
When you pick up the tray the fit's tight enough at top that the Nomad pad lifts off the tray, but when you set down the tray it sits back in it's place. Since there's no adhesive involved it doesn't seem to be an issue. The USB cables are short enough that I wouldn't want to access the cubby every day for fear of wearing out the cable connector.

Country
Country
Is it that both are getting pinched at the top, causing the bottom to lift?

Country
Country
Might it be worth picking up a couple USB extenders to provide a bit more freedom? Any reason these wouldn't work?

Prkls

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Might it be worth picking up a couple USB extenders to provide a bit more freedom? Any reason these wouldn't work?
http://a.co/d/8mBPlqW
Those are far too long; they might work but now the cubby is full of excess cable. I'm not getting anything, I'll just take care when I need to open the lid (which is very seldom).

SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When you pick up the tray the fit's tight enough at top that the Nomad pad lifts off the tray, but when you set down the tray it sits back in it's place. Since there's no adhesive involved it doesn't seem to be an issue. The USB cables are short enough that I wouldn't want to access the cubby every day for fear of wearing out the cable connector.
Ahh thanks!!

Duy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm thinking this might work out well.

Country
Country
Those are far too long; they might work but now the cubby is full of excess cable. I'm not getting anything, I'll just take care when I need to open the lid (which is very seldom).
Ha. Noted. I meant to link to 6” long adapter/extenders.

sakaike

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It should also be noted that in that picture, the factory "shelf" that the phone originally sits on is not installed. When it is installed, it holds the pad down flat, and then the phone sits on the Nomad shelf instead of the factory one. IMHO this is a very nice design element and an important contrast between the two designs.

Prkls

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It should also be noted that in that picture, the factory "shelf" that the phone originally sits on is not installed.
Absolutely right. With the shiny black trim plastic, the Nomad pad doesn't lift much, even when it binds against the cover lid at the top. I took two more pictures where you see how the cover lid gets pushed down as you open up the tray. I think the USB extenders won't be necessary, the cables are *just* long enough.

IMG_1672.JPG

IMG_1671.JPG

SoFlaModel3

Team Midnight Silver
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It should also be noted that in that picture, the factory "shelf" that the phone originally sits on is not installed. When it is installed, it holds the pad down flat, and then the phone sits on the Nomad shelf instead of the factory one. IMHO this is a very nice design element and an important contrast between the two designs.
Absolutely right. With the shiny black trim plastic, the Nomad pad doesn't lift much, even when it binds against the cover lid at the top. I took two more pictures where you see how the cover lid gets pushed down as you open up the tray. I think the USB extenders won't be necessary, the cables are *just* long enough.

View attachment 14839

View attachment 14838
Now that’s smart!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for this review! Was curious if the lid is still has clearance to close all the way down? Seems like that large lip could get in the way.

TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
FYI, here's my review on the Nomad charger

Bottom line: The Nomad has a better build quality than the Jeda and fast charging capabilities, but at at 150% premium over the Jeda.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Great review, love the Lego modular buildings in the background

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Great review! Answered multiple questions I had.

Jay79

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just got my Jeda charger after about 3 weeks or so and the fast charger module was missing. Super disappointed, lets see how they handle this shall we