OEM 20" Performance Wheels 10" 45mm offset

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My guess: Tesla had originally planned on equipping the Performance Model 3 with a staggered set of wheels, but changed their mind at the last minute because it resulted in too much loss of range. They actually reached a point of having several staggered wheels manufactured. Somehow, people are obtaining these wheels as Tesla "throws them out".

I base this one two things:
  1. The original alpha cars had staggered 20s.
  2. Musk's tweet about the decision to offer a square setup for the Performance car:

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My guess: Tesla had originally planned on equipping the Performance Model 3 with a staggered set of wheels [...]
I base this one two things:
  1. The original alpha cars had staggered 20s.
  2. Musk's tweet about the decision to offer a square setup for the Performance car:
This seems entirely plausible to me. There were also these two data points:

3. Earlier copies of the Model 3s owners manual included tire sizing for a staggered 20" setup.
4. The first Performance Model 3 that rolled off the line in mid-June seemed to have wider 20" wheels in back.

The car shown in #4 would have been part of the initial "Performance test-drive fleet," whose production predated P3D customer deliveries 6 weeks. Given that timing, I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla also conducted a final round of user-acceptance testing among employees using these early-build P3Ds, and it was their experience with range that led Tesla to nix the staggered setup at the last minute. (The added manufacturing cost of making two different sets of wheels for the same configuration may have been a factor as well.)