Ongoing EU Roadtrip by You You Xue

Discussion in 'Tesla Experiences' started by Michael Russo, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Michael Russo

MSM Team Founding Father, Red Dragon rider
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model S
    Country
    In the same recent post on the T≡SLA Model 3 Roadtrip Facebook page I referred to in another thread, You You mentions his upcoming European trip which we all await with eagerness on this side of the water...!

Europe country list will be released early next week. Finalising it now. Tesla will work with us to figure out charging. Still trying to get my hands on that adapter.
    Unquote

Creating new thread, likely to come in handy when the real fun begins on this side of the water!! :cool::cool::cool:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Brokedoc

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model X
    Country
    I don't know You You Xue but is he like some sort of mythical creature? At first he was hated and doubted because of possibly violating cars that didn't belong to him and saying he owned cars that weren't his. Now that people have met him on his US tour, everyone says he's a great guy and super nice and now he's planning a European Model 3 tour.

Anybody know what his story is? He looks like a young guy with no job and drives all over the place to let strangers sit in his expensive car.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Michael Russo

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model S
    Country
    It is intriguing indeed... dunno the story... yet I do know that we're all so desperate that we're willing all the past crap to sit in this expensive car if he is ready to make it available to us... ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    As someone who has progressed from having an unfavorable initial impression of him to a mostly-favorable ("appreciative") opinion after attending one of his events, the one thing I'll say is that he becomes much less of an enigma after you meet him in person and really get a good read of him.

After seeing his presentation, listening to the way he handles questions, and experiencing a test-ride with his narration, what became clear to me is that, for better and for worse, he values transparency and the free dissemination of information above all else. And he absolutely despises any barriers that are placed between him and achieving those ends. Anti-sell campaigns, misinformation, speed limits, social norms, even telling the truth himself... these are all barriers for him, and, for whatever reason, he feels completely unafraid and uninhibited to break them down when they get in his way.

I'm not a fan of him trespassing on private property or messing around with (and potentially scratching?) a stranger's car, regardless of the what information those pursuits yielded (and, truthfully, it wasn't anything of significance). Those are the kinds of stunts that most people do just for the attention, especially if they feel they are impervious to the consequences, which is why I originally wrote him off. But the Model 3 road trip, with its sheer scale and grueling schedule, was a different undertaking entirely, and it demonstrated (to me, at least) that he was more concerned about filling the information void created by Tesla's refusal to market (or even confirm basic information about) the Model 3 than he was with seeking attention for himself. In person, you can see in his eyes and hear in his voice that he truly believes what he is doing is in service of a noble cause, even if some of us (and the law) disagree with his methods, and find his style of communication off-putting.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Brokedoc

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model X
    Country
    It takes a truly special person to do what he's currently doing having driven from California to Canada and back to the US and announcing his stops along the way. I give him lots of credit. Clearly he doesn't have kids or he couldn't do this. If he's married, he must have the most understanding wife in the world or she may be travelling with him. Clearly he doesn't have a normal job or he wouldn't be able to take weeks/months off to travel. It must have cost him $ to buy the car, charge, rent hotels, ship the car to Europe, etc. I wonder if he's a trust fund baby or ultra rich Youtuber or what...

6. Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    All I know about him and his background are that he is currently a student at a European university, and that his dad owns a restaurant in San Francisco.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Sandy

One obsession to the next
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Don’t know his story but I’m just thrilled he let me drive it for 10 minutes with no restrictions. As well as sit in all the seats and play with the UI while it was charging. It was only -17 C (+1 F) outside in Kingston, Ontario that night. Very cool for him to let so many of us waiting for so long have exposure to the car.

• Love it! Love it! x 2
  8. Michael Russo

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model S
    Country
    Update on the European trip via Elektrek: You You’s car being shipped, road trip to start in the UK around mid-March. Charging will be more of a challenge as access to SC network seems uncertain... Still an exciting prospects for us.
    Note that You You on his FB’s page Model 3 Road Trip is asking for contributions to fund his trip... costing $5-7k for the round trip shipping alone...
    Think I’ll pitch in a little something, for the greater good... ;)

Funny, round trip suggests the car is to return to the US. Not sure about the UK license plates then.

Tesla Model 3 is coming to Europe early with new unofficial road trip

https://electrek.co/2018/01/31/tesla-model-3-europe-road-trip/

9. Jayc

Expand Collapse

Country
    Looks like he is stopping by at our back garden :) Just kidding, the newbridge stop is just 1 mile away which is not bad. Not bad at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Dash

Expand Collapse

Country
    Looks like he is gonna come here, too, although I don't know how to interpret the blue bubble pointy thing on the map.
    Hope everything goes well. No Tesla technician can help him here ...

• Like Like x 1
  11. pjfw8

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    By the way, You You is on "Judge Judy" today. (at least in the Western North Carolina/SC upstate area). Should be interesting.

12. MelindaV

☰ > 3
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    why does this not come as a surprise at all?
    is he scheduled for Springer next week?

• Funny Funny x 4
  13. BluestarE3

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Do you what is the nature of this case? Is he the plaintiff or the defendant?

14. pjfw8

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    He is the Plaintiff. He’s suing a guy who punched him. You You was impolite to a guy at a restaurant and got punched. The judge gave You You $2000 but was not impressed with his manners.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Tom Bodera

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    No
    Country
    Everyone has issues. I agree and I think it is great what You You is doing. I enjoyed my time and think he is doing great things for others.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. pjfw8

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    I drove his car in Greenville South Carolina. I really appreciate what he did. He was a great host.

• Like Like x 1
  17. youyouxue

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Blue bubble pointy thingy is just a marker for a general area/city that we are going to. We are not ready to specify certain locations yet as we are not sure if we will be able to use the Supercharger network.

• Like Like x 1
  18. youyouxue

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Glad to hear you came around, let's be clear that I have never "messed around" with a stranger's car, and the reddit moderator who tried to drive home that narrative has backed off on those allegations himself. People were trying to play Internet detective and pointed out the fact that the video of me removing the aero caps was filmed in the dark with one hand, and therefore it must be without permission... Not sure how that made any sense but it was the first time that someone had shown how the caps were removed and it helped a lot of people in the process.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Michael Russo

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model S
    Country
    Understand and thankful you’re doing this for all us impatient Europeans!
    Look forward to meet you somewhere close to a blue bubble pointy thingy at some point! :)

20. KarenRei

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Country
    I suppose that there's no way to tempt you to stop in Iceland en route? ;) If I may try:

1) It might turn out to be cheaper to ship the car to Iceland and then take the ferry to the mainland than shipping to the mainland. It's worth checking.

2) Power here is all renewable (geo and hydro).

3) The country looks like this.

4) We're trying to get Tesla's attention to come here (Ring Road superchargers, 1x service centre). Your trip would help!

5) I can at least guarantee you free tours, and might be able to cover meals / lodgings as well (would have to talk to some of the other local EV people if you expressed interest in coming ;) )

6) You can't supercharge either way, so our lack of them doesn't hurt any :) Our slow speed limits however will extend your range (as for the reason they're slower than the US: see point #3 ;) ). On the other hand, the network of Ring Road CHAdeMO/CCS/AC chargers is nearly complete. So for example you can charge at places like this:

[​IMG]

Or this:

[​IMG]

Or this:

[​IMG]

Am I just cherry-picking the prettiest locations scattered around the country? Actually, no, it's just three adjacent charging locations (Jökulsárlón, Skaftafell, Kirkjubæjarklaustur) ;)

• Love it! Love it! x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1