1. Tesla Model 3 apparel now available!

Father's day is coming! Get something special for dad. Use coupon code "fathersday" for 10% off anything in our shop

Dismiss Notice
  2. A meet-up for Model 3 Reservation Holders in Fremont?!

Please visit the link below and help us make it happen.
    Model 3 Reservation Holders Fremont Meet-up Thread
  3. @TrevP will be attending the VIP Tesla event June 2 and get a private viewing of the Model 3. If you'd like to make a small donation to cover the flight and accommodations cost you can do it here via PayPal:
    Donate Now!
    Thanks for your support!
    Dismiss Notice

Ontario EV Charging Equipment Rebate Update

Discussion in 'Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by minogully, Apr 24, 2016.

Tags:
More threads by minogully
  1. minogully

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Ontario, Canada
    Country
    For any members from Ontario looking at their options for charging stations installed at home.

I called up the Ontario government to ask whether or not the Electric Vehicle Charging Incentive Program would apply to a person hiring an electrician to simply put in a 240V electrical outlet in your garage. As you are aware, Tesla's could charge directly from one of these outlets in a reasonable amount of time, but the government's website only seems to talk about installing actual Charging stations.

See here for the resource I'm talking about:
    http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/vehicles/electric/charging-incentive-program.shtml

The answer is no, they don't cover this.

So, if you're looking for the cheapest option, you'll have to consider the costs of just installing the 240V plug with no rebate vs the cost of installing the Telsa charging station with $1000 off (depending on labour costs).

2. Kennethbokor

Staff Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Caledon Ontario Canada
    Country
    And to add to this, the Ontario Rebate is up to 50% or max of $500 for the Cost of the EVSE Unit, and up to 50% or max of $500 for the Installation Costs. To get a total rebate of up to $1000 CAD. So as per Jon's post above, agree it makes sense to spend for a Tesla Home "Charger" and the cost of getting that professionally installed, with a 240 Plug set up (versus hard-wired). Having a plug will make for better home resale value in the future as well as allow you to take the EVSE with you to next home.

3. Mirek

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Mississauga
    Hi guys anybody who will need the charging station installed. Let me know. I will work with you to fit into the cost of the rebate. My company's name is Mirek Electric and we are located in Mississauga. You can check us out at trustedpros.ca.
    My email address is mirek@mirekelectric.com.
    I'm member as well and cannot wait for the M3 to be released.

• Like Like x 2
    • Blackout

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Toronto, ON
      Country
      Hi Mirek,

I might be interested in your services... I just convince the CTO of my company this past Friday to consider installing at least 1 charging station in our work parking lot... I work for a small company located in Markham. I'm looking into installing either a bosh or a Tesla charger (frankly I would prefer the Tesla...) Basically I was going to contact Tesla so they can help me find a technician that would be willing to inspect the place, locate the ideal place to install it and give us a quote... I'm thinking of a 40A circuit... Is that something you do?

• Mirek

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
      Mississauga
      • Like Like x 1
      • Blackout

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Toronto, ON
        Country
        Perfect, I'll send you an email from work tomorrow and we'll discuss...

Thank you

• AEDennis

Top-Contributor
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Southern California, Most of the time...
        Country
        I would suggest the 100A Clipper Creek (sold in Canada by Sun Country Highway) if installing at a commercial location.

High power gives Teslas the fastest AC rate available. Your J1772 Adapter comes with the car and will allow you to charge at Maximum rate.

• Blackout

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Toronto, ON
        Country
        It's for work, I don't think people would mind having a slower charging system, since they have to stay at least 8hrs on premise... An 100A would be ideal, but I worry that the circuitry (wiring, breaker...) and the cost of all that would be higher than what we expect to pay...
        Furthermore the model 3 most likely won't come with 100A charging capabilities and even if it did, a slower charge is better for the batteries over time than a fast one... Thank you for the tip and I'll look more into it since I didn't know about that brand... But chances are we would go with an easier and cheaper solution...

• AEDennis

Top-Contributor
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Country
        Plan for success is my motto on it. Check out charger sharing that happens in high density areas (like California).

• Blackout

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Toronto, ON
        Country
        You mean like people coming on a private property (commercial) the o charge their cars? Next thing we would want is having less parking space because we have to share out station with the whole city...
        But I got to admit it's not a bad initiative in a consumer point of view...

• AEDennis

Top-Contributor
        Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
        Country
        No...

I mean other employees or co-workers or visitors to your business who may want to or need to get a charge. The faster your J1772 charger, the quicker you can get to full and move the car into a parking stall.

Commercial chargers are up to the sponsor to decide who is allowed to use it.

• Like Like x 1
        • AEDennis

Top-Contributor
          Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
          Country
          Clipper Creek is actually one of the longest providers of EV charging stations. The second Roadster charger was OEM Clipper Creek. The chargers deployed throughout California to support the EV1 and others like it were Clipper Creek. They are among the companies that help create the J1772 standard. Rock, solid EVSEs. NOT THE CHEAPEST, but definitely rock solid.