1. Model 3 is coming. Get your Model 3 Owners Club apparel today!

Dismiss Notice

Ontario EV incentives and timing

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Dustin O'Neil, Jan 16, 2017.

More threads by Dustin O'Neil
  1. Dustin O'Neil

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Essex, Ontario
    Country
    Like others in Ontario, I'm hoping to co-ordinate my Model 3 purchase to take maximum advantage of all four Ontario EV incentives (i.e. rebate for vehicle, rebate for charger and installation, no PST/GST and free home charging for four years. The window for this may be narrow as some things are current, others are developing and some may be impacted by the next Provincial Election on June 7th, 2019

I made my reservation on September 10th, 2016 and according to the Tesla Model 3 delivery estimator, I can anticipate delivery in January or February of 2019 (6-8 months after he election). I know this is only an estimate. I have contacted both the Ministry of Transportation and Tesla to make them aware of this unique timeframe. Tesla suggested not to rely on incentives to make my purchase. The contact I spoke to at the Ministry of Transportation didn't seem to know anything about the upcoming home charging incentives. She had no idea how or when it would be implemented.

Has anyone else made direct contact with Tesla or the Ministry of Transportation? What responses did you get? According to model3tracker.info, 10% of Model 3 reservations are held by Canadians. Is there any more that we can/should do?

• Like Like x 2
  2. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Founder M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Hi Dustin, welcome to the board!

I'm concerned too that the ministry doesn't have any information given the government's plans to increase EV adoption. The only thing that seems to be in place at the moment is the new rebates for EVs and the chargers. Nothing else on tax abatements or free home charging yet. I have a friend who works for the Ontario Government so I can ask to see if she has any contacts I can pass along but the government is so big the right hand doesn't always know what the left hand is doing.

As for the rebates Tesla is wise to suggest not factoring or relying on them. They are after all an incentive and they will go away in time. The funds have been allocated so we're OK on that front.

If every EV in Ontario would qualify for the full $14,000 rebate from the lower end of the $140 million estimate in the new fund that's 10,000 cars but we all know not all EVs qualify for the full rebate.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Daliman

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Mississauga
    Country
    What we have now are the EV rebate, model 3 should qualify for the full 14000; the charger instalation incentive up to 1000; the EV charger program for highways, businesses etc and green plates for HOV lanes. All this is funded it is just guesswork as to when the current funds will run out. In the plan released last year the Ontario govt said it would seek to remove the HST from EVs which requires Ottawa to agree; free charging in off peak hours (no idea how that would work). I assume that would require utilities to cooperate. While i really hope the HST is agreed on I am not planning my purchase relying on any of this. If it is in place when I buy it will let me get more options.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Michael Russo

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Pau, France
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Looks like this really great news out of Canada has triggered some unjustified political debates... ah, politics... ;)