Ontario EV incentives and timing

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Dustin O'Neil, Jan 16, 2017.

More threads by Dustin O'Neil
  1. Dustin O'Neil

Expand Collapse

Country
    Like others in Ontario, I'm hoping to co-ordinate my Model 3 purchase to take maximum advantage of all four Ontario EV incentives (i.e. rebate for vehicle, rebate for charger and installation, no PST/GST and free home charging for four years. The window for this may be narrow as some things are current, others are developing and some may be impacted by the next Provincial Election on June 7th, 2019

I made my reservation on September 10th, 2016 and according to the Tesla Model 3 delivery estimator, I can anticipate delivery in January or February of 2019 (6-8 months after he election). I know this is only an estimate. I have contacted both the Ministry of Transportation and Tesla to make them aware of this unique timeframe. Tesla suggested not to rely on incentives to make my purchase. The contact I spoke to at the Ministry of Transportation didn't seem to know anything about the upcoming home charging incentives. She had no idea how or when it would be implemented.

Has anyone else made direct contact with Tesla or the Ministry of Transportation? What responses did you get? According to model3tracker.info, 10% of Model 3 reservations are held by Canadians. Is there any more that we can/should do?

• Like Like x 2
  2. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Founder M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model X
    Country
    Hi Dustin, welcome to the board!

I'm concerned too that the ministry doesn't have any information given the government's plans to increase EV adoption. The only thing that seems to be in place at the moment is the new rebates for EVs and the chargers. Nothing else on tax abatements or free home charging yet. I have a friend who works for the Ontario Government so I can ask to see if she has any contacts I can pass along but the government is so big the right hand doesn't always know what the left hand is doing.

As for the rebates Tesla is wise to suggest not factoring or relying on them. They are after all an incentive and they will go away in time. The funds have been allocated so we're OK on that front.

If every EV in Ontario would qualify for the full $14,000 rebate from the lower end of the $140 million estimate in the new fund that's 10,000 cars but we all know not all EVs qualify for the full rebate.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Daliman

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    No
    Country
    What we have now are the EV rebate, model 3 should qualify for the full 14000; the charger instalation incentive up to 1000; the EV charger program for highways, businesses etc and green plates for HOV lanes. All this is funded it is just guesswork as to when the current funds will run out. In the plan released last year the Ontario govt said it would seek to remove the HST from EVs which requires Ottawa to agree; free charging in off peak hours (no idea how that would work). I assume that would require utilities to cooperate. While i really hope the HST is agreed on I am not planning my purchase relying on any of this. If it is in place when I buy it will let me get more options.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Michael Russo

MSM Team Founding Father, Red Dragon rider
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model S
    Country
    Looks like this really great news out of Canada has triggered some unjustified political debates... ah, politics... ;)

5. Sam Lee

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Hello everyone,

Just received my invite to configure but I am in a bind. I checked this site to see if there's any definitive answers on this but I am wondering whether or not I should order now and take advantage of the rebate or wait till the standard battery model becomes available.

From what I can tell, the cheapest configuration as of right now comes to a total of $73,789 and then with the incentive of 14k, it would work out to $59,789.

If I were to wait till the standard model came out, my total will be with the premium package $60,455. If I were to get the full 14k, it will be $46,455 which is what I prefer. But with the PC government likely winning this summer, if the ev rebates get canned then I would pay about the same amount. If it comes down to say even $8k, I would pay $52,455 which isn't that much more than the $59,789.

So my question is should I wait and see what happens or get it now? My finances is such that I can swing it if I had to but it would be a burden. If I were to wait, I would be at a better place with my finances.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

6. Sandy

One obsession to the next
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    It’s a tough one. We’re all in the same boat to some degree. I went ahead and ordered tonight. Originally wanted AWD and white interior but ordered First Production with EAP and 19”. It’s a second car for us and will get minimal winter usage. Not to mention it’s already expensive enough up here! So many unknowns. USD, interest rates, incentives, election. It’s been a long wait. I planned all along without the rebate. If I get the rebate I’ll consider it a significant bonus.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Daliman

M3OC Supporting Member
    M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    No
    Country
    There is a good thread on TMC in this topic. A group of members have been writing wynne, MTO, local MPPs and have been told application is in and will be shown soon.

8. Sam Lee

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    So are you saying that even if I order now that the rebate might not happen? I'm going under the impression that it would?!

9. Todd Harrison

Expand Collapse

It is not on the eligible list as of yesterday, tesla has applied for it and it meets all criteria so it should be just a matter of time. I configured immediately because I am assuming delivery may be late and I want as much cushion as possible before the election date. While I do consider this car to be somewhat practical I would never buy it if it were going to put me in a financial bind, that is purely my opinion!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Umesh khare

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    No
    Country
    Hi all I am new member here and non tesla owner . Yesterday I received invite to configure model 3 . I have same question. At present I put on hold as I am waiting on AWD. But looking at all threads I have same question should I go ahead and order or wait.

• Like Like x 1
  11. garsh

Dis Member
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Country
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Boshkung17

M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

Country
    Like others located in Canada, I received my invitation to configure today.

Since I wanted to check myself about the eligibility of the Model 3 for the Ontario Electric Vehicle Rebate, I contacted the Ministry of Transportation by email (electric.vehicle@ontario.ca) this morning and received the following immediate response:

Thank you for your inquiry regarding 2018 Tesla Model 3. Until an EV manufacturer applies to have a specific vehicle added to our program we are unable to comment on program eligibility nor the incentive amount. Typically manufacturers apply 10-12 weeks in advance of bringing the vehicle to Ontario. Once an application is submitted, the eligibility of each vehicle is evaluated and processed at the Ministry of Transportation.

We are anticipating the incentive being added to the program before individuals are taking ownership of the vehicles.

Please continue to check the website for updates.

Thank you for your patience.

Dodi Phair

Electric Vehicle Incentive Program
    Ontario Ministry of Finance
    Accounts Management & Collections Branch
    Specialty Tax Administration Services
    Hopefully, the above message and the other posts show that the Model 3 will be added to the eligible list very soon.

• Informative Informative x 2
  13. Tony_YYZ

Expand Collapse

Country
    This is the most important part!

• Like Like x 1
  14. BigBri

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    Best news I've seen since placing my order. While not a done deal it shows us the process is about 12 weeks and Tesla probably applied a few weeks ago or more.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mike

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Country
    I disagree.

IMHO, this is the most important sentence in that reply:

A legal mind could interpret that to mean that once the manufacturer has "applied", the OM of F could then make a comment on eligibility/incentive amount.

Since the OM of F has not discussed eligibility nor the incentive amount, the same legal mind could then conclude that Tesla has not yet applied for the program.

16. Tony_YYZ

Expand Collapse

Country
    I've received confirmation from multiple people at the MTO that Tesla has in fact already applied. Tesla has stated to me as well that they have applied. It doesn't make sense that they would have applied to BC and QC's programs but not ON's.

"Good Morning Tony,

Thanks for your inquiry. Tesla has applied for the 2018 Tesla Model 3 to be added to the Electric Hydrogen Vehicles Incentive Program (EHVIP) list of eligible vehicles. The Ministry is currently undertaking a review process, and once a vehicle has been accepted to the program, the list of eligible vehicles along with the amount of the incentive is updated on the EHVIP website at http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/vehicles/electric/electric-vehicle-rebate.shtml"

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mike

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

Country
    I don't doubt your information.

I just find it telling that BC and QC had the TM3 posted up on their respective EV rebate plans on the day that invites came to Canada.

There is a hold up within the OM of F, for whatever reason. If there wasn't, the TM3 would have already been on the Ontario list as well.

18. Tony_YYZ

Expand Collapse

Country
    I hear what you're saying. I think it's just our luck of being in Ontario. In no meaningful way should this whole process take ~2 months to complete. But it does unfortunately.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Adrian A

Expand Collapse

Country
    Does anyone understand how the incentive program works? what is the possibility of it being pulled lets say if a party who doesn't support the EV revolution comes in to power? I've heard many different responses
    - it is well funded they wouldn't remove it
    - if you order before the election you will be grandfathered in with the old EVIP rules if a party cancels the program

others say if a party came in to power they could just pull the program overnight and we would all be out our intended $14,000... I couldn't imagine a government program being that uncertain. does anyone know forsure?

20. Veedio

Expand Collapse

Tesla Owner:
    Model 3
    Country
    It's a program rather than a piece of legislation so I believe any new government could change or kill it as they please. That's what just happened when the $75k cap was introduced. There was no need for it to go through the legislative process.

• Agree Agree x 1