Ontario / Ottawa M3 Owners - Winter tire plans?

Dr Gez

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Given that Tesla only sells the Pirelli Sottozero winter tire, I won't be able to buy from Tesla since in Ottawa, my driving is on local road (non-highway driving) so I need winter tires that are meant for snow covered roads which means Bridgestone Blizzak or Nokian Hakka R2 (the Pirelli are the highest rated for wet/ice conditions but one of the lowest rated for snow covered conditions). I contacted Tesla to see if they would be offering a second option (since there are two main types of winter tires - ice vs snow) and they said there are no plans - but I can buy wheels/sensors from them but they will not put the tires on as they would not Tesla approved tires. So I am unsure what I will do this fall as I will not be using Tesla service so curious to see what others plan to do. In Ottawa, as we have no Tesla store/SC, do the Frisby tire type locations provide good service on Tesla cars? Do X or S owners recommend certain shops in Ottawa who deal with Tesla?

Also, does anyone know if the Aero caps fit over generic steel rims - since Tesla will not do the service I am less inclined to buy the wheels from them.

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Also, does anyone know if the Aero caps fit over generic steel rims.
Short answer: no

Long answer: I'm sure a persistent person could probably "hack" them to fit onto some steel wheel. But that's going to involve a lot more effort than just pushing them on.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ottawa owner here. I plan to get some Hakka R2 or R3. Had R2 on my previous car and they were absolutely amazing.

I’m also curious about the options for service locally and look forward to hearing what others have to say.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hey, 613tsla, where did you get them? Only place that seems to have them locally is Kal Tire but the R2 doesn't have the Model 3 size listed on their site.

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Have you found 18" generic steel wheels which fits the model3?

I found the following on 1010tires but I can't tell if they would fit.

18 x 7.5 5/114.3 43 mm. 70.50 - Various X42858 $100.99
18 x 7.5 5/114.3 44 mm. 64.15 - Various 186415M $99.99

Last edited:

Tzoid

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Greetings from Montreal,

I'm waiting on my AWD M3 non-P. I also need good snow tires as I travel every weekend to the Laurentians, lots of snow and hills. I have been driving on Blizzaks for as long as I can remember on very different types of cars, Honda Odysseys, Civic SI, Prelude and CR-Vs (yes i was an exclusive, except for that Pontiac Solstice, Honda buyer ever since I bought my first Honda CR-X in 1987.

I firmly believe that winter tires are the way to go in our climate. I also have a bit of OCD when it comes to buying things. I research way to much. I have decided to go with the Pirelli Sotozeros that Tesla is selling. In small part for the rims and from what I can find they are better than average winter tires. I found this review from the APA that pushed me over the edge. Its an older review but I have dealt with APA many times and I find there reviews to be honest and unbiased. That said, if I dont like them, you can be sure there will be a set of Blizzaks on my M3 before new years, if I get my car before new years that is.

One last thing; this will be my first car that doesn't have black steel rims in the winter.

Attachments

PNWmisty

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I need winter tires that are meant for snow covered roads which means Bridgestone Blizzak or Nokian Hakka R2 (the Pirelli are the highest rated for wet/ice conditions but one of the lowest rated for snow covered conditions).
I would caution against exaggerating the performance characteristics of different winter tires too much, especially with a car like the Model 3 that is known to be a good performer in the snow due to its weight distribution and the way it can modulate power more rapidly than a car with an ICE engine and traditional transmission. Have you tried the Pirellis on a Model 3?

I think you are over thinking this. Modern winter tires have come a LONG way. For the last 4 years, I've been running Goodyear Ultra Grip WRT's and, while not known for their ultimate snow capability, proved to be far more than I needed to easily get me through the local mountains with steep, narrow roads and huge amounts of new snowfall, far more than Ottowa receives in a record year. They worked better than the best winter tires that were available 15 years ago and I really enjoyed their superior performance on bare, wet roads compared to the type of winter tire that maximizes snow traction. Putting those on a car with good driving dynamics and good snow/ice traction like the Model 3 should be a last resort.

In the unlikely event they aren't good enough in the snow, you can easily sell them without too much financial loss.

Mad Hungarian

Resident M3OC Wheel/Tire Guru
Country
Country
Well the size, offset and PCD are OK on both.
However the center bore on that first one at 70.50 is too big, it won't be a safety issue but it may cause vibration.
The second one has the right center bore size to fit the Model 3's hub, however that tells me that it's more than likely designed specifically to fit Honda and Acura vehicles. If so the problem will be that the lug seats may be ball type instead of conical. Please see this post and the follow-ups for a full explanation of how that can be a serious safety issue if not correctly handled.

Let me say for the record that the very idea of putting big, ugly, 32 lbs steel wheels on a precision instrument like the Model 3 is causing me acute physical discomfort. Do the right thing. Get alloys :).

Frosken

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The Ottawa FB group is not model 3 specific. However the group buy is for M3. IIRC the current "Deal" is Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3's with Replika R187 (by fastco) 18x8 wheels, Tesla OEM TPMS sensors and install, etc.

One of the challenges is that the Replika R187's, while super nice, are out of stock and back-ordered. Thus I am searching for another wheel to use for summers (and take the Aero's for winter) or vice-versa.

I have my own deal with a dealer in the east end which is super close (possibly identical) to the Sipan GROUP deal, but the ETA for the Replika's is early November, which is too close for comfort.

@Mad Hungarian: Any way you can help us out for the Replika's or suggest another 18" wheel for our 3 (either winter approved or summer sassy)??? ;)

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Well the size, offset and PCD are OK on both.
However the center bore on that first one at 70.50 is too big, it won't be a safety issue but it may cause vibration.
The second one has the right center bore size to fit the Model 3's hub, however that tells me that it's more than likely designed specifically to fit Honda and Acura vehicles. If so the problem will be that the lug seats may be ball type instead of conical. Please see this post and the follow-ups for a full explanation of how that can be a serious safety issue if not correctly handled.

Let me say for the record that the very idea of putting big, ugly, 32 lbs steel wheels on a precision instrument like the Model 3 is causing me acute physical discomfort. Do the right thing. Get alloys :).
@Mad Hungarian Thank you for sharing your knowledge on the subject.... wheels are ... complicated.

Would you recommand going for the winter package 18" from Tesla?

Their kit includes:
  • 4 x 18X8.5J Aero wheels
  • 4 x 235/45/18 - PIRELLI WINTER SOTTOZERO™ SERIE II
  • 4 x tire pressure sensors
  • 4 x Tesla logo Aero wheel caps
CAD: $2400

These tire go for CAD1271$ on costco.ca
TPMS should be around 200$
That means the wheels comes at CAD928$ or 232$ per rims.

Can you think of better rims which would fit tire size that would usually be less expensive and be robust for the poor road quality we have here in Quebec? Otherwise I'll go with the Tesla winter package.

Mad Hungarian

Resident M3OC Wheel/Tire Guru
Country
Country
The Ottawa FB group is not model 3 specific. However the group buy is for M3. IIRC the current "Deal" is Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3's with Replika R187 (by fastco) 18x8 wheels, Tesla OEM TPMS sensors and install, etc.

One of the challenges is that the Replika R187's, while super nice, are out of stock and back-ordered. Thus I am searching for another wheel to use for summers (and take the Aero's for winter) or vice-versa.

I have my own deal with a dealer in the east end which is super close (possibly identical) to the Sipan GROUP deal, but the ETA for the Replika's is early November, which is too close for comfort.

@Mad Hungarian: Any way you can help us out for the Replika's or suggest another 18" wheel for our 3 (either winter approved or summer sassy)??? ;)
"Winter Approved or Summer Sassy"... I think our Marketing department may want to steal that!

Well the 18" R187 for the 3 turned out to be way bigger than even we expected, so the first order arriving next month is already sold out. The good news is we have 1,000 more coming, but they won't arrive until the end of November.
The way our climate has been shifting around here I find we really don't get any significant snow in Quebec or Ontario now until Christmas, but if you want to be cautious and tire-up early then may I suggest the FC04, FC05 or the F212 Switch, all currently in stock.
Or go to the website and search the configurator to your heart's content.