1. Model 3 is coming. Get your Model 3 Owners Club apparel today!

Dismiss Notice

Ontario, post October 2018 election, effect on rebates....

Discussion in 'Reserving, Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Mike, Sep 19, 2016.

More threads by Mike
  1. Mike

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Batawa Ontario
    Country
    Good morning all.

Had a long chat with a buddy of mine from New Jersey last night, discussion came to EV rebates, Teslas and the next Ontario election.

I'm a "glass is half full" kind of guy, and after watching Trevor's YouTube video about the effect of EV sales and the US federal tax credit once 200,000 units are sold, here is my what if:

What if, on 04 Oct 2018, the Ontario Liberal's lose the election AND the EV rebate structure is summarily cancelled by the new government (to keep an election promise).

If Elon Musk understands how to "game" the release of the Model 3 so that as many folks in the US are able to get the full US tax credit (as explained in Trevor's video) before the "3rd quarter after 200,000 units are sold"......

.......does Tesla recognize that the same "time fuse" exists in Ontario?

What I'm getting at is there are (anecdotally) over 10,000 Model 3 reservations in Ontario.

If those reservations are not allowed to be exercised prior to October 2018, there is a great chance that many of them will not be exercised at all, due to the loss of the $13,000+ cash rebate.

Can this potential situation be brought to Tesla's attention? (i.e. make a push to fulfill orders in Ontario sooner than later....)?

Thanks

• Like Like x 2
  2. TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
    Founder M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    All good questions.

Tesla so far has helped some countries such as Denmark to get as many cars delivered before an incentive expires. There's always a chance they might help Ontarians if the current government changes and the rebates are phased out or cancelled. We'll have to pay close attention to this, Elon will surely be deluged with requests for help if it does come to pass (myself included). I'm very glad I was able to order first thing on March 31 but I fear that many who waited too long to reserve may end up disappointed if rebates do indeed go away and their cars are delivered later in 2018 or going into 2019.

Many of us are counting on rebates to help with affordability in the short-term. Longer term however rebates won't matter much as there will be many more EV models to chose from over the next 5-6 years. Prices are expected to keep dropping as the battery technology improves and costs come down.

3. Mike

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Batawa Ontario
    Country
    That's where my head is at. Not a show stopper, but it would make things much more palatable.......

I did not know that, thanks for the tip. I'll assume there is some office within Tesla that deals with this issue....cheers.

4. Steven

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Kelowna, BC Canada
    Country
    [off topic] the rebates shouldn't be at the consumer level anyway. The governments should be applying incentives for EV sales at the dealer level or - even better - penalties for selling the "wrong" vehicles. I went to a Chevy dealer a couple of weeks ago to look at a Volt and - naively - to get info on the Bolt. You think I could do either? As soon as they knew I wasn't there for a high profit giant diesel pickup monster thing... I see their eyes glaze over with disinterest. They had one used Volt that they were happy to sell me if I took it without question. I asked how I could get a new one with exactly what options I wanted and they shrugged their shoulders. I said I guess i'd have to drive to Vancouver to order (ie. from a different dealer who would get my business) and they didn't bit and try to retain my business at all. It was clear they have no incentive to push or even supply an EV.

Government wants change... they should be providing that incentive. We can't buy vehicles that aren't on the lot.

Now, of course Tesla markets different. I know that. But still, they should be given an incentive to operate and market in a region that is supposedly looking to change consumer behavior.[/off topic]

Rebate or no, I'm getting an EV as my next car. I'd love that to be the Tesla, but of course there are going to be options by the time that comes around, and I'm going to choose the best one at that time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. TrevP

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    #5 TrevP, Sep 26, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
    I hear you. The buying experience from a dealer is toxic to the say the least. I loathe it. I just hope the quality with Model 3 is decent. My Lincoln has been back to the dealer no less than 8 times since I bought it last year and this is from a company with over 100 years to get their crap together. It's pretty embarrassing.

I even make a point of wearing my Tesla jacket every time I go there but they haven't taken the hint yet.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mike

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Batawa Ontario
    Country
    Yep, I've already crossed that threshold as well. Local Chevy dealer is like you describe. "No, I don't want a big black 4 door pickup truck to match the other 16 on my street thank you".

7. BigBri

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Toronto, Ontario
    Country
    Yeah this is a concern of mine too. I refreshed the page until it let me order 3 minutes before it was supposed to be open so should have it in plenty of time but chances are the current government will be replaced as everyone is mad over electricity rates.

I also concur on the dealership experiences. I got the same reaction when I was only interested in the one import car they had on the lot that had sat there for 6 months and they were just trying to get rid of it. Even worse has been taking it to the actual dealer for the odd warranty work. It's just an awful anxious experience everytime. Can't wait to jump ship.

8. Hoppie3

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Sarnia, Ontario
    Country
    I have a bunch of GM points I was going to use towards a volt or Bolt lease until my Model 3 was ready. I went to 3 diffeent dealerships and none of them where interested. They all said they couldn't get Volts into the dealership. So either the dealerships don't make good margins on these cars or the manufacturer isn't making enough to supply the dealerships.

9. TrevP

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Aurora,Ontario
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    @Hoppie3 If GM is anything like Nissan and BMW they probably only appoint certain dealers to sell the Volt/Bolt. I went to look at a LEAF at my local Nissan dealer and they said I had to go to another dealer since they didn't carry it. BMW does the same thing with the i3.

10. Jamaicaman

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Livonia, Michigan
    Country
    True that.... I went to the BMW in Kitchener with a buddy to have his Mini Cooper worked on and asked to see an i3... saleman told me I would have to travel to London to see an i3. But he did offer to show me the i8 he had in the show room! ( Yeah right!)