Open Source DIY Model 3 Door Trim Wrap Template

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 17th all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
  • Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271

kenriko

M3OC Sponsor Vendor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Template Here: https://github.com/Kenrik/Model-3-Vinyl-Wrap-Template

The project is hosted on Github with a GPL v3 Licence.
If you have any questions here is the place to post them. This template should be compatible with most Vinyl Plotters on the market including commercial brands like Roland and Graphtec as well as consumer brands like Cricut and Silhouette.
Install Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U4T9f6saDs (Warning! very long)

Canada! you are not forgotten. I'm in the process of registering the required business entity with the Canadian government to allow for the import of products (and paying taxes) - the entire process is taking longer than I had planned.
If you don't have access to a machine I also have complete kits available on Amazon with free Prime shipping.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

If you have any questions here is the place to post them. This template should be compatible with most Vinyl Plotters on the market including commercial brands like Roland and Graphtec as well as consumer brands like Cricut and Silhouette.

Canada! you are not forgotten. I'm in the process of registering the required business entity with the Canadian government to allow for the import of products (and paying taxes) - the entire process is taking longer than I had planned.
If you don't have access to a machine I also have complete kits available on Amazon with free Prime shipping.
not to be a pain, but....
will you be creating a version without the manual release being a separate part? I'd rather conceal it from passengers view at least somewhat with the vinyl skin

kenriko

M3OC Sponsor Vendor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
not to be a pain, but....
will you be creating a version without the manual release being a separate part? I'd rather conceal it from passengers view at least somewhat with the vinyl skin
Nope, I tried it out it does not look good, it still looks like something you can pull and the first time someone pulls it the wrap is ruined.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Nope, I tried it out it does not look good, it still looks like something you can pull and the first time someone pulls it the wrap is ruined.
ok - thanks for the reply, and more so thanks for taking the time to develop these :) I trust your take on it now working well to cover the lever.
I may get a small piece of red to manually cut the door open buttons out of to draw attention to them (at least nice thing with the vinyl is it is all reversible :D)

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@kenriko - ordered both the door and console kit on amazon (to be stashed away with my various other accessories waiting for the dang car). do you know if the console kits amazon is shipping include the extra telephone shelf piece that your updated GitHub template includes?

kenriko

M3OC Sponsor Vendor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
@kenriko - ordered both the door and console kit on amazon (to be stashed away with my various other accessories waiting for the dang car). do you know if the console kits amazon is shipping include the extra telephone shelf piece that your updated GitHub template includes?
That’s actually for the top most part of the console directly under the screen. When I add the phone piece in a future iteration ping me and i’ll ship you one.

kenriko

M3OC Sponsor Vendor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Silhouette Cameo. If you shop around sometimes you can find them for $180ish on sale. That’s the machine I prototype with before sending it off to my monster 60in Graphtec for production runs.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

thanks for the template. which black brushed vinyl are you using. i purchased one and it had a glitter type of dusting on it. just really wanted a brushed metal look. thanks

GDN

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That’s actually for the top most part of the console directly under the screen. When I add the phone piece in a future iteration ping me and i’ll ship you one.
Thanks for that info on what that piece is for. Your doco likely says, but I watched your video a week ago and didn't see it noted and I didn't read anything in the package. I didn't put it on because I didn't know where it went, but it definitely didn't fit the phone cable cover.

kenriko

M3OC Sponsor Vendor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Is there a store where one can order samples of these 3M films. Looking at getting a wood finish film which would blend with the dash, just look a continuing piece rather than the blacks.

Examples:
3M ID JR420090243
3M ID JR420069825
3M ID JR420069049
3M ID JR421001694
3M Di-NOC vinyl will not work with this template without modifying it, it's too thick and will not curve around the cupholder lip. Just like with the PPF options like Xpel you need to leave the curved shiny black plastic around the cupholder lip exposed to use that material.

Derik

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
No chance you've got a template for the outside door handles?

Thinking I might try to use my wife's cricket (I think that should work as long as I can get the templates to load into whatever software it uses) and make some test pieces.

kenriko

M3OC Sponsor Vendor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
No chance you've got a template for the outside door handles?

Thinking I might try to use my wife's cricket (I think that should work as long as I can get the templates to load into whatever software it uses) and make some test pieces.
Not yet, that's a few weeks out.

agastya

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
3M Di-NOC vinyl will not work with this template without modifying it, it's too thick and will not curve around the cupholder lip. Just like with the PPF options like Xpel you need to leave the curved shiny black plastic around the cupholder lip exposed to use that material.
Gotcha. Any chance you are looking at including some wood grain wraps for the center console? Not sure if there is enough demand for it since a lot of folks have wrapped the dash itself and gotten rid of the wood grain finish altogether from their cars. I kinda like that finish, and am hoping someone makes one soon.