Optical Disc Player?

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 31st all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
  • Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
K

kenbefound

Anyone else care if the Model 3 has a CD player? Or at least have one available as an option?

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think one of the Model S drivers posted that they do not have optical drives and expected the same for the Model 3.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I would be. My current car has a CD/DVD and have only used it a couple times. Most of my audio comes from my phone via bluetooth and XM

AEDennis

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For those that need an optical drive or dare I say it, cassette deck, there are options.

For example, I purchased a Bluetooth to 3.5mm adapter device so that I can stream my portable Sirius Stiletto receiver that had lifetime service because I didn't think that a premium audio upgrade was worth it for the Model S.

I anticipate having to do this purchase again for my Senior Citizen mom. She likes to get audiobooks from the library (in cassette and CD formats.)

K

kenbefound

AEDennis, I agree, $2500 for an audio upgrade is a bit steep. Being a middle aged man I was curious how others felt about a CD option. But for example, my 20 something musician daughter, and her friends still actively use the CD format. So I was hoping the Model 3, which is targeting a broader audience, may possibly include one or at least a 3.5mm jack as Bluetooth degrades the sound IMHO..

Last edited by a moderator:

AEDennis

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
No Tesla has had it to date. Apple also killed the optical drive. I'd be shocked if there was one in the Model 3.
Not exactly...

The Stock JVC KD-NX5000 that shipped with the Roadster 1.5 (single DIN) is DVD and CD... Not that I remember EVER putting a disc in ours. (many Roadster owners hated this head unit, we're ok with it.)

teslaliving

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Not exactly...

The Stock JVC KD-NX5000 that shipped with the Roadster 1.5 (single DIN) is DVD and CD... Not that I remember EVER putting a disc in ours. (many Roadster owners hated this head unit, we're ok with it.)
Sorry, i'm ignorant on the Roadster. Ive seen them in person but never been inside/ridden in them. Would love to some day.

Thanks for the correction Dennis!

AEDennis

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sorry, i'm ignorant on the Roadster. Ive seen them in person but never been inside/ridden in them. Would love to some day.

Thanks for the correction Dennis!
Frankly, I had to doublecheck myself and look it up (wife is out enjoying her car today, so I had to google the manual).

For as long as we've enjoyed her car (which I get visitation privileges with) I don't remember EVER popping a CD or DVD in there, but it's behind the front fascia of the deck. I was just happy that Sirius and the Bluetooth works on it. This was when Tesla was focused SOLELY on getting the EV going (the Roadster had to go from two gears to one, and a bunch of other iterations) and not integrating fully as Tesla has on the S, X, and soon the 3...

TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Optical disks are dead. Tesla has USB ports so throw your music onto a slim stick and leave in there.

I do the same thing on my Lincoln but most of time I just stream over Bluetooth from my phone.

AEDennis

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Optical disks are dead. Tesla has USB ports so throw your music onto a slim stick and leave in there.

I do the same thing on my Lincoln but most of time I just stream over Bluetooth from my phone.
Agree...

But, I have to prepare for a "Senior Citizen" mom who is moving from her second Leaf to a Model 3... (which has an AUX port which makes it easier to connect her portable CD player to the car).

And as I mentioned, she likes to borrow the media from the public library.

Jayc

Country
Country
Anyone else care if the Model 3 has a CD player? Or at least have one available as an option?

Going by the idea of a minimalist dash, it would be unlikely we will see a CD transport. More likely a few usb ports where we can plug a flash drive.

Implemented right, Bluetooth should not degrade audio much - certainly not to the extent one would notice in a car. In a perfectly insulated, acoustically treated room and with high-end audio gear one might hear the difference but that's a different discussion..

Last edited:
K

kenbefound

Well, if they at least included an aux input so I can use a portable CD player I could make do.

Badback

Valued Community Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Considering the price of flash memory, would it not be better to copy one's CDs? Stuffing CDs into a slot while driving is distracting. They are easily scratched and they take up more space. A single thumb drive can hold several CDs.

I do this in my current ride and use the CD slot for a GPS mount.