Ordered a custom steering wheel today from Craft Customs

artsci

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Having ordered custom Katzkin leather covers for my soon to be delivered M3P I also planned to creat a custom wood and leather steering wheel to match the interior leather colors and dash wood. Craft Customs in Texas specializes in making custom steering wheels. I’ve had them make custom wheels for myself Model S (carbon fiber and beige leather) and they do the work for a lot less money than some vendors charge for semi-custom wheels (most of you probably know who I’m talking about). I’m anticipating that their work will cost about $1,100 but once I get the final quote I’ll post it.

In anticipation of this mod, I ordered a spare Model 3 steering wheel about a month ago ($590). Happily it arrived yesterday, just in time pick it up at my service center, where I had an appt today for service on my Model S.

I shipped the wheel to CraftCustoms today. Here’s what they’ll do. The top quarter of the wheel will be ash wood that matches the color and grain of a veneer sample I sent them (the same veneer I’ll be using on the console cover doors and dash). The rest of the wheel will be covered in Katzkin tuscany leather in a color named Oatmeal (a kind of gray-beige). There will be six 3/4 “ bands of Katzkin red leather called Maraschino placed around the wheel. The oatmeal and red leather on the the wheel will match the seat colors. Plus I’ll be adding Oatmeal leather to all four door panels and the sides of the console. Bottom line I should have a distinctive interior.

I any others are interested in a custom steering wheel, I highly recommend Craft Customs.

My car is set for delivery around the 3rd week of September, and the steering wheel and Katzkin seats should be ready as well by then. I’ll post some photos as soon as all of this is ready.

When all is said and done and the custom wheel installed I’ll have a spare black Model 3 steering wheel which I’ll be happy to sell at cost to someone who wants a custom wheel.

ppower

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Aside from using a light color for your steering wheel being a questionable decision, don't use the Tuscany leather. It doesn't have the treatment that the rest of the line has. It is made to develop a patina like a bomber jacket over time. That is why owners with the Tuscany leather complain of it fading it areas. Maraschino is the same as red. Find the equivalent for Oatmeal. Just an FYI.

artsci

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Thanks for the advice on the Tuscany leather. Actually Craft Customs will use their own leather (which I assume has to be for steering wheel use) and just match the Katzkin colors. As for the light color, I’ve had a beige color on my Model S steering wheel for about four years and there’s been no problem of any kind (that was made by Craft Customs as well).

ppower

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
6BCFC97E-E751-40F7-B61F-9ED166168386.jpeg They just order extra material in the same color. Canvas and Red are the regular line. I just happened to have brought samples home for the night.

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Having ordered custom Katzkin leather covers for my soon to be delivered M3P I also planned to creat a custom wood and leather steering wheel to match the interior leather colors and dash wood. Craft Customs in Texas specializes in making custom steering wheels. I’ve had them make custom wheels for myself Model S (carbon fiber and beige leather) and they do the work for a lot less money than some vendors charge for semi-custom wheels (most of you probably know who I’m talking about). I’m anticipating that their work will cost about $1,100 but once I get the final quote I’ll post it.

In anticipation of this mod, I ordered a spare Model 3 steering wheel about a month ago ($590). Happily it arrived yesterday, just in time pick it up at my service center, where I had an appt today for service on my Model S.

I shipped the wheel to CraftCustoms today. Here’s what they’ll do. The top quarter of the wheel will be ash wood that matches the color and grain of a veneer sample I sent them (the same veneer I’ll be using on the console cover doors and dash). The rest of the wheel will be covered in Katzkin tuscany leather in a color named Oatmeal (a kind of gray-beige). There will be six 3/4 “ bands of Katzkin red leather called Maraschino placed around the wheel. The oatmeal and red leather on the the wheel will match the seat colors. Plus I’ll be adding Oatmeal leather to all four door panels and the sides of the console. Bottom line I should have a distinctive interior.

I any others are interested in a custom steering wheel, I highly recommend Craft Customs.

My car is set for delivery around the 3rd week of September, and the steering wheel and Katzkin seats should be ready as well by then. I’ll post some photos as soon as all of this is ready.

When all is said and done and the custom wheel installed I’ll have a spare black Model 3 steering wheel which I’ll be happy to sell at cost to someone who wants a custom wheel.
That sounds like a very nice combo. Please post some pics along the way and when you get it all done, would love to see it!

artsci

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Should have the wheel back from Craft Customs in about 3 weeks, about the time my car will be delivered. Will post photos then, by itself alone and mounted in the car.

artsci

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I'll have the custom steering wheel from Craft Customs on Tuesday night, 9/18, the day before my 3 is delivered. It will go on the car Thursday, 9/20, along with the Katzkin leather seats. I'll post photos of it all next week.

artsci

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
The steering wheel was delivered today. I'm really pleased with how it worked out. I imagine there will be nothing remotely like it. I'll post some photos tomorrow am, but the wood portion will match perfectly the Macassar Ebony wood veneer I'm installing on the center console and on the dash as well. The leather portions, which are Katzkin leather, will also match perfectly the Katzkin seat leather that will be installed next week. My goal was to have a unique interior that adds some color to the car and I think that goal will soon be achieved as soon as next week -- the car will be delivered Monday, 9/24.

ppower

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm eagerly waiting to see how it looks. I'm very curious to see what I think of the steering wheel being in color to match seats vs black to match the dash.

artsci

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Here's a photo. I chose the Macassar Ebony wood veneer for the wheel, dash, and center console because it goes well with black and the other leather colors I've selected for the wheel, seats, and door panels. The veneer is lying around the wheel DSC_8252.jpg

Sandy

One obsession to the next
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The steering wheel was delivered today. I'm really pleased with how it worked out. I imagine there will be nothing remotely like it.
Wow! Looking forward to seeing the completed interior. I totally agree with you that there will be nothing remotely like it.

artsci

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Wow! Looking forward to seeing the completed interior. I totally agree with you that there will be nothing remotely like it.
Thanks:) CraftCustoms tells me it's causing quite a stir on its social media sites.

Next Monday afternoon, my Model 3, which will be delivered to me at 10 in the morning, goes to my favorite installer, Doug Pasini, at Automotive Concepts in Timonium, MD.

While I'm out of the country for 10 days he'll install the steering wheel, Katzkin seat leathers, dash cam and a bunch of other stuff. (If any Model 3 owners live in the Baltimore area, I highly recommend Doug and Automotive Concepts). Normally I'd do most of these things myself but I won't have the time before i leave on the trip, and as I'm very impatient, I want as much of this done by the time I return. Doug also has a good relationship with people at the Owings Mills Service Center, so if any problems come up he can consult with them.

I'm going to ask Doug to send photos as he does the work so I can post them from where I'll be overseas.