I'm curious about how others are thinking about this -- first I have to layout some (potentially flawed) assumptions & questions.. Assumptions: - We'll receive an email the moment that the configurator is opened to us individually (more a question about whether it's worth refreshing each week or something.. I'm assuming we don't need to do that) - The sooner we order, the sooner we get the vehicle (therefore, know what you want now so it's a quick order process) - Any trades and financing issues can purely be handled near the delivery timeframe (doesn't affect decision making on what you order, other than if you trade-in and have no idea on its value and it will affect your budget) (Lots of) Questions: - Do you think it will it be a "race" against the people in your region to configure in order to get it sooner, or is it truly a FIFO.. you get the email to configure ahead of the person behind you in line? If it's purely FIFO, there'd have to be some kind of waiting period but not too long since they obviously can't hold up the "configuring" line. So that leads me to think it'll be opened up in groups. - How long do we have to configure before they make you defer? Can the configurator for a reservation-holder be open indefinitely and it's like you're actively standing in the config line but letting people continually go in front until you're ready? Or do you have to select "defer" at some point? If you do, how long does it defer and can you jump on it prior to that deferment date being reached? - How far ahead of being able to receive the vehicle will the configurator be available? - Does your selection on MyTesla impact when they email you or is it just kind of informative to Tesla about your likely intent? i.e. if I select dual motor would I get an email later than if I select first production? (I'm thinking not..) Here's where I'm going with this.. I don't need the car immediately; as in, a few months either way is fine.. more important to me is the long-term. There are some advantages to waiting to configure (and even waiting to receive the car): - More info is available every day - It may mean we can test drive (or at least see it) before ordering - Quarterly Tesla US production numbers will come out, giving better estimate on tax credit dates - Kinks will continue to be worked out hopefully rapidly on the production line as they're discovered by owners - More options become available (white, standard battery, AWD) What made me think of this is a "bad" (maybe not worst case) scenario where they hit 200K in 2017 and my standard battery + premium model gets delivered in April (currently says Feb-Apr). If I'm going to lose out on $3750 to wait for that config, I'd rather spend the net $5250 more and get the long range so it's sooner and I get the credit. This may be something I need to do sometime in Q4 but it's very dependent on assumptions and answers to questions above. Sorry for the long OP.. and it's even my first one.. hopefully I make some semblance of sense. Love this forum by the way..