Paint Protection - Autoflex'ed with the concept M3 silver during reveal with PRODIPPER NYC

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Took a lot of time deciding weather I wanted xpel again on my new tesla vs auto-flex and weighing the pros and cons, I went with auto-flex this time and was deeply impressed.

Here's a video of my car getting autoflexed by PRODIPPER in NYC in a Satin/Matte carbon-sterling silver.

Before and after pictures below,
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1r0VY_GyOrndJqoBOXDJxu3CQ54mrj1NT

More information on the tesla thread here as well
https://forums.tesla.com/forum/foru...-concept-silver-during-reveal#comment-1543195

If you have any questions let me know !

slotti

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Love it. Departing about going that route as well, but have to find a good dipping shop in LA first.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you like color you will definitely like Autoflex

Definitely do the research to find the best autoflex applicator dou !

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I loved expel while I had it but after it started so show a little of yellowing after 2 years. When I asked my original installer to honor their warranty and they said they had to charge me a installation fee with a couple hundred dollars. I ended up taking the wrap off to sell the car for a Tesla anyways.
Here are some quick general comparisons
Autoflex:
+Generally Cost less for some reason
+3/4th the thickness of Xpel Ultimate
+You can literally choose any color and make it look a lot nicer even looks like OEM Paint
+Hard to the touch
- heard the durability may last 3-4 years instead of Xpel's 5 year+
Xpel Ultimate:
+Costs Alot for some reason
+Thicker
+ A little soft to the touch
- Has a chance of yellowing after it gets scratched up/deteriorates a lot
Honestly with the price of Autoflex in NYC , I can just spray my car twice or get a ceramic coating ontop of the autoflex with the price of Xpel.

Last edited:

Magictek

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I loved expel while I had it but after it started so show a little of yellowing after 2 years. When I asked my original installer to honor their warranty and they said they had to charge me a installation fee with a couple hundred dollars. I ended up taking the wrap off to sell the car for a Tesla anyways.
Here are some quick general comparisons
Autoflex:
+Generally Cost less for some reason
+3/4th the thickness of Xpel Ultimate
+You can literally choose any color and make it look a lot nicer even looks like OEM Paint
+Hard to the touch
- heard the durability may last 3-4 years instead of Xpel's 5 year+
Xpel Ultimate:
+Costs Alot for some reason
+Thicker
+ A little soft to the touch
- Has a chance of yellowing after it gets scratched up/deteriorates a lot
Honestly with the price of Autoflex in NYC , I can just spray my car twice or get a ceramic coating ontop of the autoflex with the price of Xpel.
Very interested actually, how is that shop for autoflex vs any shop in long island since I live on the island. Also do you think the thinner coat will be a problem for rock chips vs xpel? I was about to go with Xpel Stealth but I can't get past the idea that some corners will not be covered, I am guessing with this everything is covered. Is there an autflex that just gives my white model 3 a satin finish but keep the original white pearl since I rather that then to totally change the color.

Thanks! looks great. I might end up going, please refer me and maybe I can save a few bucks =)

Last edited:
Country
Country
@Daniel S I was about to post your video until I discovered this thread. That silver color looks amazing!

How is the price compared to a full PPF wrap? Is it safe to put it through automatic car washes repeatedly? Does it have self healing properties like PPF?

Ehlacore

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Omg... this video basically sold me on the idea of plastidiping my 3! May I ask how much it cost? Also do you recommend doing the chrome delete before or after the plastidip?

Perscitus

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Looks great Daniel! I'm local and have the same color M3 coming soon, will try this route vs self-healing film on previous cars.

After 4-5 years, how easy is it for the shop to remove/reapply? Ive read many horror stories with removing dips.

Do you know if a satin carcover is still an option over this finish?

Any special care instructions they gave you given our Tri-State weather, winter temps and salt/chemical road marinade?

Can you PM me who to speak to at ProDipper, cost ballpark, etc? Thank you.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Ehlacore
In my opinion there's no need to do a chrome delete on this silver. The chrome fits nicely with it.

@Perscitus
I have alot of people asking me so i'm slowly losing track, if you can start a convo with me that would be great. I can talk to you then.

They recommend you to reapply it after like 3-4 years. It depends on how much you harshly drive the car but once you see alot of scratches and nicks , they can easily depeel the layer and reapply it.

It shouldn't harm the paint or leave any residue if applied properly.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Daniel S I was about to post your video until I discovered this thread. That silver color looks amazing!

How is the price compared to a full PPF wrap? Is it safe to put it through automatic car washes repeatedly? Does it have self healing properties like PPF?
I went thru like 5 carwashes already , it's perfectly fine.

Yes it has self healing properties but a not as good (just a little worse imo) than PPF due to it only being like 20 percent thinner.

I paid less for mine because I was a repeating customer but it runs around 2600-2800 usually depending what colors.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Looks great Daniel! I'm local and have the same color M3 coming soon, will try this route vs self-healing film on previous cars.

After 4-5 years, how easy is it for the shop to remove/reapply? Ive read many horror stories with removing dips.

Do you know if a satin carcover is still an option over this finish?

Any special care instructions they gave you given our Tri-State weather, winter temps and salt/chemical road marinade?

Can you PM me who to speak to at ProDipper, cost ballpark, etc? Thank you.
I haven't used it for that long but talking to phillips and another autoflex tesla user hank, which that has done it for 2 years, there were no issues.

Country
Country
I went thru like 5 carwashes already , it's perfectly fine.

Yes it has self healing properties but a not as good (just a little worse imo) than PPF due to it only being like 20 percent thinner.

I paid less for mine because I was a repeating customer but it runs around 2600-2800 usually depending what colors.
How much did they charge to peel away the paint? Upfront cost for AutoFlex is indeed less than PPF, but would like to calculate the total cost over 10-15 years if I have to do 2-4 wraps. Thanks for the info!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
How much did they charge to peel away the paint? Upfront cost for AutoFlex is indeed less than PPF, but would like to calculate the total cost over 10-15 years if I have to do 2-4 wraps. Thanks for the info!
I didn't do autoflex last time i went in, i did ceramic and insured dent repair.

It should run around 2500-3000 for the professionals. They advertise it as lasting 4 years plus, but I personally would respray it every two years which is what I plan on doing.

Country
Country
I didn't do autoflex last time i went in, i did ceramic and insured dent repair.

It should run around 2500-3000 for the professionals. They advertise it as lasting 4 years plus, but I personally would respray it every two years which is what I plan on doing.
Is 2500-3000 the price for just peeling off the old paint, or does the quote include respray? I wonder how much a peel-only job would cost in case I decide not to get any wrap afterwards.

2 years goes by so fast that I don’t see myself doing it that often. From what you’ve heard, do you anticipate Autoflex to look worn down or be susceptible to issues after 2 years? If it can last much longer, then it could be a good investment for me especially if I don’t have to pay extra for delicate and expensive OEM paint. Thanks again!

Love the alpha prototype look of your car. I might have to copy you!

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Is 2500-3000 the price for just peeling off the old paint, or does the quote include respray? I wonder how much a peel-only job would cost in case I decide not to get any wrap afterwards.

2 years goes by so fast that I don’t see myself doing it that often. From what you’ve heard, do you anticipate Autoflex to look worn down or be susceptible to issues after 2 years? If it can last much longer, then it could be a good investment for me especially if I don’t have to pay extra for delicate and expensive OEM paint. Thanks again!

Love the alpha prototype look of your car. I might have to copy you!
No just the full autoflex coating. If they did the autoflex coating they will usually peel it off for you for free but you can easily to it yourself.

Autoflex should last a very long time and have no issues after 3-5+ years unless you abuse it by driving in gravel everyday and spray 50 mph rocks at it. Should last like OEM paint would.

I had it for some months now and there's no problems whatsoever.

Perscitus

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Looks like Philips is taking care of more referrals or forum members/lurkers... another P3D getting PaintShield autoflex'ed (Proline or Autoflex). Mine will be done if/when it ever arrives.

ProDipperNYC feed earlier today, Brooklyn rain and all:

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
No just the full autoflex coating. If they did the autoflex coating they will usually peel it off for you for free but you can easily to it yourself.

Autoflex should last a very long time and have no issues after 3-5+ years unless you abuse it by driving in gravel everyday and spray 50 mph rocks at it. Should last like OEM paint would.

I had it for some months now and there's no problems whatsoever.
What color are you planning to autoflex your car ?