1. Model 3 is coming. Get your Model 3 Owners Club apparel today!

Dismiss Notice

Pano Roof/Sunroof???

Discussion in 'Reserving, Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Skione65, Aug 8, 2017.

More threads by Skione65
  1. Skione65

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Kentucky
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    As it stands currently it looks like I'm holding out for the AWD Long Range Premium version of the Model 3. Yes....it adds 6 months or so to my wait and Yes it's possible that I'm almost assured of losing half the Tax Credit depending on Production Ramp. My question is what is everyone's opinion on if and when Tesla may introduce the Pano/Sun Roof to the available Options? Though I think I'd be happy with the all glass roof I've always really wanted the Pano/Sun. Afew things come to mind. Do you think the Pano will be offered at all or left out to keep simplicity. I do realize it's specifically NOT offered now to help accelerate production ramp. If it is eventually introduced by Tesla when do you think this will happen? After the 500,000 backlog is cleared? Sooner? Later? Never to differentiate it from the S? Or do you think it will be added to the configurator when the AWD version is ( i.e. Concurrently)? All questions I have and looking for input, opinions, etc.

Ski

2. SoFlaModel3

Impatiently Waiting
    Moderator M3OC Supporting Member
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    South Florida
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    Personally I think it's very unclear. I give equal chance to it not appearing ever (or at least not soon).

I liken this to the performance version. You know it's coming because of an Elon Tweet, but realistically it's not clear that it's coming from the My Tesla page at all.

I think options will come and go just like they have with the S, but with a 500,000 order backlog and growing there is little motivation to tinker and add complexity.

I guess that's my long winded way of saying I wouldn't wait for the unknown.

Also just to add to that. I swear the sunroof was put in existence just to rattle. I always get one because I like them visually but it's rare that I ever open it. I'm actually thrilled for the all glass roof with no movement!

• Like Like x 1
  3. skygraff

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Chicago IL
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I wonder if, since the glass roof is a separate pane, there might actually be an option to upgrade to pano without the insanity of typical add on sunroofs (not to mention failure rate).

Definitely want it but would rather go glass (and trade in later) than wait an unknown length of time.

4. Australis

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Surrey Hills
    Country
    Glass above yes, opening, probably not, if there is choice - just thinking about future servicing issues. Our Suby Forester with sunroof had much work done under warranty and even now the rails rattle. (We don't open it much - let sleeping dogs lie.) And it leaks under heavy rain.

• Like Like x 1
  5. GTV6

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Petersham, ma
    Country
    Curious what other cars have rattling sunroofs. In all my many European cars, never had one sunroof issue. I would love to have a pano, but not at the price of losing the credit. Would stretch and wait otherwise. Given the middle glass panel, the pano seems like an easily built chance for good margins down the road. Fields did indicate pano in the original reveal.

6. smazzucato

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Ontario
    Country
    On the subject of the roof, which configuration on the model S allows a roof rack, is it glass roof with or without sunroof or both ? Any mention for the model 3 if a roof rack will be possible ?

7. GTV6

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Petersham, ma
    Country
    Someone posted a picture of a release candidate with a roof rack installed. Maybe someone else remembers where it was posted.

8. JWardell

Top-Contributor
    Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Boston
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I'm pretty sure @TrevP confirmed the sunroof bracket doors will be on all models. It was present on new production cars, and it doesn't make sense to make two different sheet metal forms just to save pennies on that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Skione65

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Kentucky
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. GTV6

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Petersham, ma
    Country
    Can't remember the last car i had a vehicle without a sunroof: VW's, Audi's, Saab's, BMWs. Not an issue with a one except after 20 years with one Audi. Great for Spring and Fall days and all-day ventilation even when it rains. (Pop up the trailing edge). Certainly the employee's car's don't seem to have the roof rack mounts. Wondering if it is more likely that there will be a sunroof in order to provide mounting spots given the lack of hitch possibilities? Sunroofs are also great when you've got to get those 2X4s home and you don't have your F350 with winch and ladder rack. (The one you use for grocery shopping and to take the kids for ice cream.) I might even skip an optional color to pay for the sunroof instead. THAT's how much I like sunroofs. Figured a hearse would be the only black car I would pay for.

11. Frank99

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Country
    I can't remember the last time in 20 years I've opened the sunroof, even though I've had at least one vehicle the whole time with a sunroof. Of course, I spent four years driving a Miata top-down, and only put the top up about three times...

And my Civic carries 2x4's just fine without a sunroof - I just have to rest my arm on them while I drive.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Skione65

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Kentucky
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    @GTV6,

Love the Sunroof in my ‘07 Civic....use it all the time. Never had an issue in over 10 years of use....still tight. This is the LAST puzzle piece to my config. Hopefully available by fall 2018!

Ski

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Skione65

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    Kentucky
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
  14. Kizzy

Expand Collapse

City & State/Province:
    California
    Tesla Owner:
    Reservation
    Country
    I hardly ever open the moonroof of my car in the 12+ years I've had it. And when I have, it's to impress other people. Having the glass roof on the Model 3 will cover most of my use cases.

• Agree Agree x 4