Parking : Back in, or pull in?

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 17th all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code

FRC

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This may be a stupid question to many, but it's one I've never really had answered. Why do you back into spaces? This seems to me to be a relatively new concept(I'm 60) with no logical explanation. To me, backing in is much tighter and more time consuming than backing out. Is it the perception that backing out is much more dangerous than backing in? I don't buy it. My theory(ridiculous?) is that incorrigibles started doing it to hide their license plate from the po-po and it became trendy.

Mike

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Why do you back into spaces?
For me, it started as a (one of many) hyper-miler habits back in 2007.

An ICE is more efficient when you start up and put it in drive to drive away versus the whole put it in reverse and slowly back out and then put it in drive and then drive away.

Now, of course, I prefer to back in because I have full visual contact of anyone ahead/behind me in my approach lane as I back into the slot.

Backing out of a slot, one is blind to any speed freak that may be zooming along as you slowly back out of a space between two huge p/u trucks....

Karl Sun

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This may be a stupid question to many, but it's one I've never really had answered. Why do you back into spaces? This seems to me to be a relatively new concept(I'm 60) with no logical explanation. To me, backing in is much tighter and more time consuming than backing out. Is it the perception that backing out is much more dangerous than backing in? I don't buy it. My theory(ridiculous?) is that incorrigibles started doing it to hide their license plate from the po-po and it became trendy.
Back in, back out - still backing up. Might as well do it after a drive while one is still [more] awake and alert than at the end of day when not so much. And if you're going to charge, you MUST back-in with a Tesla.

In decades past some locales had rules about backing in cause the exhaust soot would dirty the walls of buildings adding cleaning expense. I suspect this is not a problem with Teslas.

GDN

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't back into quite as many with the Model 3, but I also drive a pickup and almost exclusively back in to parking spots with the pickup. It's just much easier to park that way, and you have much clearer sights when pulling out. The same holds true with a car and depending on the situation I do with the car as well. I've only been to one or two Superchargers, but from pics and the way the ones I've seen are built, you back in to most all of them it seems. The chargers are typically along the wall or the curb and you have to back in to be able to plug in.

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This may be a stupid question to many, but it's one I've never really had answered. Why do you back into spaces? This seems to me to be a relatively new concept(I'm 60) with no logical explanation. To me, backing in is much tighter and more time consuming than backing out. Is it the perception that backing out is much more dangerous than backing in? I don't buy it.
A quick Google search will bring up a lot of well-researched articles on the topic.

AAA Warns Against Pull-Forward Parking
Why Reverse Parking is Safer

Then there's my own anecdata. My wife was driving in a parking lot aisle. She stopped to allow someone to back out of a space. While she was waiting, a lady in a BMW one space closer backed up right into her. The BMW's tailpipe snagged the front corner of the minivan. The lady never bothered to turn around - she relied on the BMW's parking sensors, which didn't chime to warn her of the minivan. So remember kids: pull-through parking is best. Back-in parking is next-best.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A quick Google search will bring up a lot of well-researched articles on the topic.

AAA Warns Against Pull-Forward Parking
Why Reverse Parking is Safer

Then there's my own anecdata. My wife was driving in a parking lot aisle. She stopped to allow someone to back out of a space. While she was waiting, a lady in a BMW one space closer backed up right into her. The BMW's tailpipe snagged the front corner of the minivan. The lady never bothered to turn around - she relied on the BMW's parking sensors, which didn't chime to warn her of the minivan. So remember kids: pull-through parking is best. Back-in parking is next-best.

Our elementary school has asked parents not to back in park because it causes congestion and safety issues.

I think the safety issues is the result of big SUVs and a lack of driving skill.

Side note the big safety and congestion issue is people trying to back out of spots that they pulled forward into with SUVs on both sides and no visibility.

Tesla Newbie

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I back into parking spaces, the garage, etc because with backup cameras and its guide lines I have a much clearer view of the relative position of my car and the curb, the next car, etc.

My garage is at a 90 degree angle from an access alley. I approach from the left and park on the right of our other car. Backwards I confidently follow the camera guides. Forwards I resort to prayer.

kort677

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It is safer to back in, it allows for a safer exit. In some places that only use rear tags they prohibit backing in because the tag isn’t visible

ADK46

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Not a stupid question at all. I've pondered this question ever since I learned to drive.

I rarely back in. That's the only thing I can say for certain. It's usually easier, counting the round trip.

Over the years, I've become less flexible and rely on my mirrors - but backup cameras are changing the situation for me. Another factor is that I've gotten into vintage cars - one must always back into a space at events. Supercharging ....

If you are looking for a fast and safe getaway after some event, particularly after dark, it is critical to back in.

No reason whatsoever for me to back into our garage. I imagine some people might, those who are good at it, those who can twist their necks more than I can. Those who have the opposite attitude about procrastination from me. I am not good at backing up, though again, backup cameras have changed my game.

There is an asymmetry to the "swing" required to get into a tight place, of course, the reason one must back into a parallel parking space.

On a related note, I'd like my car to turn off the proximity warnings when I'm entering my garage. Off for exiting, too - children are not a factor. For any car, the forward sensors should be disabled when in reverse, and vice versa - doh.

Ed Woodrick

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Backing into a place is far from a new concept. One of the first situations that I know, and one that you see every day comes from AT&T in the early years.
AT&T had a study done to try to increase safety. They've got a lot of drivers out there and they want to take care of them and their vehicles. One of the biggest things about backing in is that you generally have to walk around the back of the car to get to the door. This allows you to survey the area to assure no obstacles exist in the path that you are about to go, and you have much better view in front of you than behind you.
So, from a basic point, you can see the kids and animal better.

Also, you should always see AT&T vehicles set out cones in front and behind them. when parked. This assures that the driver goes around and checks the front and back before pulling away. This is not only the trucks, but the cars. It is a little funny to see a well dressed small lady pick up these big cones and throw in the trunk.

It is definitely a safety issue. A LOT less likely to back into or over something.

ltphoto

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I lived in Singapore for several years. Everyone has to back in park there (law and signs posted everywhere). It seems natural to me now, and I never saw any parking lot collisions while in Singapore.

Gunn

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I guess my answer is two fold...

I "Pull In" into my garage as it is not safe to back in, weird street with heavy traffic at times so I just want to get out of the way. Plus which ever end is inside the garage (not at the door) is blocked from being opened so I'd rather block the frunk than the trunk.

But I always "Back In" to the parking spaces at work, mainly due to charging but just as it's easier to do, safer and I get going quicker.

One company I used to work for had a policy of "No Back In" and that was due to the exhaust fumes being directed at the building. Not sure if it's been changed for EV drivers tho...

PandaM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I prefer to back in as well except
1) if another car is following you and you position to back in... it confuses the heck out of the following driver. So you need to do your maneuver quickly to claim the spot
2) if there are cars across from the spot that are a) not backed in b) don’t have parking sensors and a back up camera then I will pull into the spot foward. My thinking is that the low hood on the Model3 make it invisible to cars backing out of their spots and leads to them backing into the front of the Model3 whereas the back end of the Model3 sits high so they can see it.

Also if the car across from the spot is kinda beat up showing signs of parking by braille or there are SUV’s on either side of the spot or cars that show sign of parking by feel then I move along to a different spot.

RocketRay

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I pull in to my garage since my charger has to be on the left side. Elsewhere i prefer to back in; when I'm leaving it's easier to maneuver around other cars and pedestrians.

Reversing in has the advantage that you can maneuver sooner when exiting. This is important if the parking area has become congested after you arrived, folks love to double park and restrict the sace you have to exit. If you back out of aspace you can't turn the wheel until the front of the car is totally clear. Driving out of a space you can start to angle the vehicle prior to the rear exiting the space.

In the US this maybe very much an edge case. In Europe and elsewhere its common to have very tight parking areas you can easily get boxed into. Old habits die hard. I will always reverse in if it safe and convenient to do so.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I find backing in to a space illogical and rude. You hold up everyone else in the lot while you take forever to make precise backwards controls to get into your space.

Quite simply, pulling into a space requires a lot more precision. Aligning properly between cars and lines and parking straight (I know, most people can't do that any more) in a tight place simply takes more time and precision, if not multiple attempts.
Pulling out meanwhile has a ton of space. Much less precision is required. Assuming you pay attention and yield to people and traffic, you can back out of a space much more quickly than you can back into a space.

I'll only do it in the rare case that I'm sure no one else is around and don't mind wasting my own time. Obviously no choice at a charger.

This is why I've only had the opportunity to use Tesla's self-parking once. Maybe one day they can make it fast.

kort677

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I find backing in to a space illogical and rude. You hold up everyone else in the lot while you take forever to make precise backwards controls to get into your space.

Quite simply, pulling into a space requires a lot more precision. Aligning properly between cars and lines and parking straight (I know, most people can't do that any more) in a tight place simply takes more time and precision, if not multiple attempts.
Pulling out meanwhile has a ton of space. Much less precision is required. Assuming you pay attention and yield to people and traffic, you can back out of a space much more quickly than you can back into a space.

I'll only do it in the rare case that I'm sure no one else is around and don't mind wasting my own time. Obviously no choice at a charger.

This is why I've only had the opportunity to use Tesla's self-parking once. Maybe one day they can make it fast.
rude or not there are many studies that show that backing in is safer than having to back out. here is one simple study
https://safestart.com/news/4-reasons-backing-parking-spaces-safer/