Performance Spoiler Availability

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Wondering if anyone knows if or where we can get a Model 3 rear spoiler like the one on the Performance version?

I know Tsportsline and RPM both have their own versions of the M3 spoiler but I still prefer the oem Tesla Performance one.

Be happy with replica one since it will probably cost an arm and a leg if Tesla sold it as an aftermarket accessory. Wonder if any other manufacturers will make a replica soon?

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'll probably be selling mine when my car comes. ;)

I generally don't like extra doodads on the outside of my cars.

slacker775

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You might surprised if Tesla ever did offer it aftermarket. So far, it doesn’t seem like they really add in a ‘name brand’ factor in their pricing for accessories. Look at the all weather trunk/frunk mats that are OEMed by Weathertech but cheaper thru Tesla. And the wall charger is cheaper than most/all L2 chargers available for the home that I’ve seen. Definitely not the premium that we are all very used to seeing out of car manufacturers.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You might surprised if Tesla ever did offer it aftermarket. So far, it doesn’t seem like they really add in a ‘name brand’ factor in their pricing for accessories. Look at the all weather trunk/frunk mats that are OEMed by Weathertech but cheaper thru Tesla. And the wall charger is cheaper than most/all L2 chargers available for the home that I’ve seen. Definitely not the premium that we are all very used to seeing out of car manufacturers.
Fair point. I guess I'm just so used to other luxury car brands like BMW and Mercedes jacking up their accessory prices so much, i forget that Tesla doesn't quite go as crazy on the markups.

Maybe I'll take a wait and see approach. Wonder if Tesla will even sell the spoiler aftermarket though?

ppower

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
From what I’ve seen of the Factory spoiler, it is likely bolted on. You won’t want to remove it and resell it.

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
From what I’ve seen of the Factory spoiler, it is likely bolted on.
Have you seen bolts? I assumed it was just stuck on with adhesive.
You won’t want to remove it and resell it.
No I wouldn't, no matter the attachment method. But since it's not attached at the factory, I'm assuming I can call the delivery center and request that they don't put it on yet.

ppower

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
True that you could try to intercept it. Otherwise, you could sell/swap entire trunk lids with somebody of the same color paint.

No, you cannot see bolts. This part just takes understanding of how spoilers attach. All of the aftermarket spoilers being made currently stick on top of the decklid making plenty of surface area for tape to stick. The HUGE innovation of the OEM spoiler is how it begins at the back of the trunk lid and EXTENDS horizontally. This helps with not disrupting airflow and extends the length of the car as a spoiler should. The only way it can extend out horizontally is if there are built in bolts that go into the vertical face of the trunk. All "pedestal" style spoilers are this way, and a lot of OEM flat spoilers are bolted on even when aftermarket versions are tape only.

In these photos, you can see how it doesn't attach to the horizontal plane of the trunk lid at all. I am normally not one to get spoilers, but the elegance of this design has so far been completely unappreciated by the commenting public. Maybe one day there will be an aftermarket imitation, but for now, this is it. Tesla-MOdel-3-performance-spoiler.jpg tesla-model-3-carbon-fiber-spoiler.jpg

PandaM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
True that you could try to intercept it. Otherwise, you could sell/swap entire trunk lids with somebody of the same color paint.

No, you cannot see bolts. This part just takes understanding of how spoilers attach. All of the aftermarket spoilers being made currently stick on top of the decklid making plenty of surface area for tape to stick. The HUGE innovation of the OEM spoiler is how it begins at the back of the trunk lid and EXTENDS horizontally. This helps with not disrupting airflow and extends the length of the car as a spoiler should. The only way it can extend out horizontally is if there are built in bolts that go into the vertical face of the trunk. All "pedestal" style spoilers are this way, and a lot of OEM flat spoilers are bolted on even when aftermarket versions are tape only.

In these photos, you can see how it doesn't attach to the horizontal plane of the trunk lid at all. I am normally not one to get spoilers, but the elegance of this design has so far been completely unappreciated by the commenting public. Maybe one day there will be an aftermarket imitation, but for now, this is it. View attachment 12249 View attachment 12250
The Spoiler on my wife’s VW CC is shaped and attached the same exact way... begins at the back of the trunk and EXTENDS horizontally. It is just attached by 3m adhesive.

That is why I was pondering the idea of getting a VW CC spoiler copy on ebay to play around with and see if it was flexible enough to fit onto the Model 3 since it is roughly the same shape/ curve/ size... in the end I just ended up buying the RPM Tesla one because it was cheap & was told the oem Tesla spoiler probably won’t be available for 3 years to no performance owners.

ppower

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The Spoiler on my wife’s VW CC is shaped and attached the same exact way... begins at the back of the trunk and EXTENDS horizontally. It is just attached by 3m adhesive.

That is why I was pondering the idea of getting a VW CC spoiler copy on ebay to play around with and see if it was flexible enough to fit onto the Model 3 since it is roughly the same shape/ curve/ size... in the end I just ended up buying the RPM Tesla one because it was cheap & was told the oem Tesla spoiler probably won’t be available for 3 years to no performance owners.
ahh, I see what you mean of being the same. I've never noticed that before. I guess because there are so few CC around. I guess it's possible then that it's just tape. I wouldn't want to trust it though. You know that will inadvertently get used as a push point to close the trunk.
https://www.solidrop.net/product/re...c-pu-material-exterior-part-styling-wing.html

oneshortguy

Country
Country
@ppower
How solid is it? If you push on it does it stay on tight?

Wondering if its a real fragile install or not.

Thanks
I saw a P3D last week and took a look at the spoiler. It seems solid when I was pushing on it, but it sits very close to the edge of the trunk's horizontal surface.

There was also a small scratch under the wing from install so it was either a difficult install and kept moving during install or a sloppy tech.

PandaM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@ppower
How solid is it? If you push on it does it stay on tight?

Wondering if its a real fragile install or not.

Thanks
The spoiler is not a handle meant to be used to push the trunk closed.

That being said, the VW CC spoiler mounts to my Wife’s VW the same exact way since it’s essentially the same design. I installed it myself 8 years ago using the oem 3m tape and after 8 years, 8 track days, and countless times telling my wife not to use it as a handle... it’s still mounted good and strong.

Just be sure to use the license plate to push the trunk closed and you’ll never have and issue. Pull trunk down by the inner handles until you can push down by the license plate.... why is this even an issue.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
So, I'm really interested in getting the Tesla Performance spoiler since I think the rear end of the Model 3 looks incomplete. I feel the spoiler adds to the look and honestly am not a fan of the other aftermarket offerings. I contacted Tesla and they stated that they won't sell the spoiler, only available if you purchased the Performance Model 3 (although this may change in the future).

I did ask, so what happens if something "happens" to the spoiler of someone who has a Performance model? Would they be able to purchase a replacement? They did say yes, but couldn't give me a price. Anyone willing to try and find out the price and possibly getting one for someone who really wants one? =p

PandaM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So, I'm really interested in getting the Tesla Performance spoiler since I think the rear end of the Model 3 looks incomplete. I feel the spoiler adds to the look and honestly am not a fan of the other aftermarket offerings. I contacted Tesla and they stated that they won't sell the spoiler, only available if you purchased the Performance Model 3 (although this may change in the future).

I did ask, so what happens if something "happens" to the spoiler of someone who has a Performance model? Would they be able to purchase a replacement? They did say yes, but couldn't give me a price. Anyone willing to try and find out the price and possibly getting one for someone who really wants one? =p
I like your thinking!!!

Even better someone needs to send one to China to be copied.

I’ve sent interest to places like www.modecarbon.com with no response about making a high quality replica.

If anyone knows any carbon fiber manufacturers that is willing to do a replica... I’m first on that interest list

Interest for high quality replica performance spoiler
1) pandam3

Maybe someone will see this list and do something about it

John A Bailey

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I bought the performance upgrade and still have not received a call to come in and have the spoiler installed. I'm in Florida. Is this typical?

msjulie

M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I bought the performance upgrade and still have not received a call to come in and have the spoiler installed. I'm in Florida. Is this typical?
It's been 15 days and Tesla has no idea when the Dual Motor badge will be available for my car so thinking it's in line with that delay ...

Country
Country
I'd also like a more accurate replica of the OEM spoiler than what we currently see from RPM Tesla and TSportline. RPM version looks a bit cheap and the TSportline version is fairly expensive (and not wide enough). It would be nice if we had something in the middle of those two prices.