Performance Upgrade 20" wheels & lower suspension - Ride quality?

• If you haven't taken delivery yet or plan on ordering you can still get the 6 months of FREE Supercharging only until December 17th all Model 3s now qualify! Call or email your Tesla delivery advisor and give them our code
  • Winter is here and the forum is starting to get flooded with cold weather threads and posts. Please heed the suggested threads and posts before you post something related to cold weather. This is a great place to start: https://model3ownersclub.com/threads/teslas-in-cold-weather.5271
Country
Country
Can anyone speak to how the smoothness of your ride changes in a model 3 from stock wheels to 20" wheels? Looking at aftermarket wheels and I was told the Model 3 is HUGELY impacted by this change. Thanks!

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My Performance with OEM 20" was surprisingly smooth.
I now have my winter tires on 18" wheels mounted, and I haven't noticed much of a difference.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I put this video together and found the ride with the 20s to be great.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
The two P3Ds I have driven on factory 20"s both have a smooth ride. As good as the 2018 BMW M3 I was also considering, and better than the WRX STi type RA I drove before buying the P3D.

thredge

Country
Country
So where I live I've got a few roads that have quite a rough rid (joint repairs and such). I know the Performance Upgrade suspension is a little lower than the standard suspensions, but is it also stiffer? I hadn't really seen much of anything on that. The surfaces I'm talking about around here just magnify it, and everyone in the car is being ridiculously jostled around in those circumstances. It's almost comical when I stop and observe it. If I'm leaning back in the seat the headrest repeatedly bonks me in the back of the head.

It almost seems like part of the issue is how well Tesla centered the mass in the car. Doing that makes it easier for it to rotate, but it also has a tendency to rotate forward and back in a more pronounced manner as it's going over these road joints that a car that has more mass forward and back where the suspension has to do most of the work as the car doesn't as easily pitch forward and back.

Was considering getting some of the aftermarket springs from UP or MPP out there to see if those would help with this. I know, it's silly to get the sporty version and then complain about comfort, but would love a sporty ride that could still smooth out these issue with these local roads I travel on a lot.

Anyone have experience with the comparison of some of the aftermarket replacement springs?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have the Performance Upgrade package on mine. The ride is very compliant. When I first drove the car, I was absolutely amazed at how well it soaks up the bumps on rough roads, considering that it has 20" wheels. I'm very pleased with the ride comfort.

I have past experience owning other sports cars with 19" and 20" wheels, one of them had aftermarket KW coilovers. My Model 3 Performance has one of the most comfortable rides. I'm not sure what it's attributed to either, perhaps it's how Tesla has tuned the damping on the Performance Upgrade suspension? Whatever the case, it has a very comfortable ride over bumpy roads.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I can't tell the difference between ride height on the performance and standard. Stock springs on the P3D are very comfortable. I've never been in the standard version though but I'm very very happy with the ride quality of the P3D.

thredge

Country
Country
Man, that’s so weird. There can’t be something wrong with all 4 of my springs / dampers that is giving me such a different experience than everyone else? Compliant is not a term I would use to describe my ride on rough roads.

garsh

Dis Member
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Man, that’s so weird. There can’t be something wrong with all 4 of my springs / dampers that is giving me such a different experience than everyone else? Compliant is not a term I would use to describe my ride on rough roads.
It's hard for everybody to convey these sorts of nuances in text. If you get a chance, stop by a Tesla store and test drive another Model 3 Performance. See if at least that one other car rides the same as yours.

I thought my Performance on 20s was surprisingly smooth for such a low-profile wheel and tire. It really didn't seem a whole lot rougher than my Nissan Leaf. I mean, it is rougher, but not as much as I was expecting.

My father-in-law thought my Tesla was the roughest riding car he'd ever been in. But he's used to driving a Lincoln Town Car, which is like driving on pillows.