Petition to Increase the EV tax credit cap per manufacturer.

Van Shrider

TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
Founder
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Thanks. I think it's appropriate here and I do support it for our cousins to the south of us frozen Canucks!

We should have a federal rebate program too as only 3 provinces have any kind of EV incentives. Shameful.

TrevP

M3OC Founder / Administrator
Founder
M3OC Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I did some reading into the EV tax credit law after seeing Elon tweet they would look into altering their production schedule to help as many get the credit as possible.

This paragraph contains the important bit:

The qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicle credit phases out for a manufacturer’s vehicles over the one-year period beginning with the second calendar quarter after the calendar quarter in which at least 200,000 qualifying vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer have been sold for use in the United States (determined on a cumulative basis for sales after December 31, 2009) (“phase-out period”). Qualifying vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer are eligible for 50 percent of the credit if acquired in the first two quarters of the phase-out period and 25 percent of the credit if acquired in the third or fourth quarter of the phase-out period. Vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer are not eligible for a credit if acquired after the phase-out period. (emphasis added)

The part in bold is my emphasis. The phase out begins one quarter AFTER the 200,000th car is sold. I take it that Tesla will do everything in its power to ramp production as fast as it can so once it reaches that limit they can go full bore for the next 3 months and deliver as many as possible.

Tim

thanks for that important clarification.

K C

We really need to push this partition, I've been reteeting it quite a bit.